Inflation's Impact: $15.00 an Hour Minimum Wage Not Enough for Job-Seekers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:50:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Inflation's Impact: $15.00 an Hour Minimum Wage Not Enough for Job-Seekers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inflation's Impact: $15.00 an Hour Minimum Wage Not Enough for Job-Seekers  (Read 3694 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: October 28, 2022, 08:54:40 PM »

The #1 driver of inflation hasn't been government stimulus or supply chain issues, it's been a tight labor market that has driven-up wages.

Unskilled workers may be able to demand $20/hour now, but that won't last through the next recession.  Higher minimum wages elongate and weaken job recoveries, for this reason.  

Zero economists would agree with your first sentence. First off, it's basically contradictory - we cannot separate "government stimulus" from "tight labor markets". Basically all economists critical of the American Rescue Plan are critical of it because they think it caused the economy to "overheat" and this term is intimately related to labor market tightness. Second, what you're saying is totally unmoored from empirical evidence. It is extremely hard to argue that we are in a "wage-price" spiral when the best measures of wages available (Employment Cost Index) show total compensation rising significantly more slowly than the price index.

The reason why it's important to ignore bluster like the above post is that snake-oil of this variety is usually to forward an agenda. Here, it is being used to argue that the minimum wage increasing would "fuel inflation". I think that's a topic worth studying but I don't think there's an obvious answer here. Since not all employers would find the minimum wage to be "binding", employers with a lower wage workforce couldn't simply pass on price increases to consumers. They'd instead have to reduce the wage bill through cutting hiring. Alternatively, they may be able to absorb the minimum wage increase.

Empirical studies show very small employment effects from increasing the minimum wage. I'm not aware of any study linking it to inflation. Certainly, in a low inflation environment, we'd expect no effect. This might be different in an inflationary environment where consumer expectations have wide variance - maybe employers could actually get away with hiking prices right now. That's why I say it's worth studying. Overall though, your posting history on the economy is riddled with nonsense.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies