Do you have a higher opinion of Evangelical Christianity or Islam?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:55:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you have a higher opinion of Evangelical Christianity or Islam?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
Evangelical Christianity

Islam

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Do you have a higher opinion of Evangelical Christianity or Islam?  (Read 7813 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2022, 03:21:43 AM »

If the US overnight became a right wing evangelical theocracy, gays absolutely would be executed (eventually, as that's where unchecked dehumanisation always leads) but in true American fashion by something needlessly complex like a Rube Goldberg death machine rather than a simple hanging.

Do you know what most evangelical Christians believe in? ExtremeRepublican, who is a pretty good median representation of the American Evangelical Christian, doesn’t even support overturning Lawrence, let alone executing gay people.

For instance, the most one could argue is that Evangelical Christians in the USA have similar views on homosexuals/homosexuality than the country as whole had prior to 1969. Can you find a single example of someone being executed for being gay in the U.S.A prior to 1969?

As I said in my post, in bold, it's not about views now. it's about where dehumanisation in an all encompassing religious state can lead.

Homosexuality only became criminalised in Iran under the last Shah, in response to religious pressure. After the Revolution they began to be publicly executed.

The idea that a right wing theocracy, with the zeal of policing public and private morality would hold the same views on LGBT people they hold now under a secular state is dangerously naive.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2022, 11:41:31 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2022, 11:53:46 AM by All Along The Watchtower »

If you're asking if I have a higher opinion of the largely white conservative/fundamentalist Protestants who are disproportionately American vs. Muslims in general, well I know which ones are far more powerful, numerous, and malignant in my country.

I'll grant that Salafism and Khomeneism are Bad. Though it should be noted that both of those are modern developments (in the latter case very much so, obviously) and simplistic, politicized interpretations of an utterly massive Abrahamic religion with well over a millennium of history, explicitly calling for a "return" to the imagined early golden period of the religion. The fundamentals, if you will.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2022, 05:22:41 PM »

If you're asking if I have a higher opinion of the largely white conservative/fundamentalist Protestants who are disproportionately American vs. Muslims in general, well I know which ones are far more powerful, numerous, and malignant in my country.

I'll grant that Salafism and Khomeneism are Bad. Though it should be noted that both of those are modern developments (in the latter case very much so, obviously) and simplistic, politicized interpretations of an utterly massive Abrahamic religion with well over a millennium of history, explicitly calling for a "return" to the imagined early golden period of the religion. The fundamentals, if you will.

Both of those are far less awful than historical Islam, ISIS may seem horrible but they’re far more in line with the historical practice of Islam than the former two. I think Evangelical Christianity represent corrupted Christian values, but they’re still better than generic Islam.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2022, 11:25:09 PM »

Both of those are far less awful than historical Islam, ISIS may seem horrible but they’re far more in line with the historical practice of Islam than the former two. I think Evangelical Christianity represent corrupted Christian values, but they’re still better than generic Islam.

"Historical Islam" is an exceptionally general and evasive term in this context.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2022, 11:43:35 AM »

european.txt
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2022, 08:12:05 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2022, 08:20:29 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

If the US overnight became a right wing evangelical theocracy, gays absolutely would be executed (eventually, as that's where unchecked dehumanisation always leads) but in true American fashion by something needlessly complex like a Rube Goldberg death machine rather than a simple hanging.

Do you know what most evangelical Christians believe in? ExtremeRepublican, who is a pretty good median representation of the American Evangelical Christian, doesn’t even support overturning Lawrence, let alone executing gay people.

For instance, the most one could argue is that Evangelical Christians in the USA have similar views on homosexuals/homosexuality than the country as whole had prior to 1969. Can you find a single example of someone being executed for being gay in the U.S.A prior to 1969?

As I said in my post, in bold, it's not about views now. it's about where dehumanisation in an all encompassing religious state can lead.

Homosexuality only became criminalised in Iran under the last Shah, in response to religious pressure. After the Revolution they began to be publicly executed.

The idea that a right wing theocracy, with the zeal of policing public and private morality would hold the same views on LGBT people they hold now under a secular state is dangerously naive.

I don't see how this analogy works. It's not like Iranian clerics once accepted the legality of homosexuality and their views only regressed upon taking power. If mainstream right wing US evangelical opinion had always advocated the enforcement of Levitical law by the state then it would be more equivalent to the consistent opinion of the Iranian clergy before and after the revolution. But as far as I'm aware that's only ever been an extreme minority view among evangelicals.

At the end of the day one has to take most evangelicals at their word that they don't want to execute gay people. Now maybe that could change under a hypothetical theocracy, sure, but I don't think one can have the confidence to say it's what absolutely would happen.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 05:05:40 AM »

And maybe evangelicalism and Islam aren’t that different anyway

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 04:50:09 PM »

I have observed many times that Sunni Islam, at least the way it exists in the West, resembles from an organizational standpoint nothing more than non-denominational Protestantism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 06:39:08 PM »

Evangelical Christianity, on account of it being Christian.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2022, 07:41:05 PM »

Evangelical "Christianity" is a damnable perversion of Christianity but I still have a slightly higher opinion of it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2022, 12:18:54 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2022, 12:32:27 AM by All Along The Watchtower »

I have observed many times that Sunni Islam, at least the way it exists in the West, resembles from an organizational standpoint nothing more than non-denominational Protestantism.

Are there also a fair number of Sunni imams, scholars, and other authority figures of dubious credibility but nevertheless, a significant following? Tongue

While on the subject of this comparison, the American mainstream media seemed to have discovered so-called cultural Christianity—specifically in the form of white evangelical Protestants, the most interesting religious community to media and political pollsters—during the 2016 Republican presidential primaries. Members of this forum have long had spirited conversations with BRTD re: “cultural” religion in general, and cultural Catholicism in particular—perhaps BRTD’s least favorite subject. Regardless, this is not a novel subject for us.

My impression is that it’s even harder to define Islam (and by implication, Muslims) narrowly as a religion in the individualistic/personal way that most Americans, maybe Protestants and secular Americans in particular, conceptualize religion; but I’m not certain of this.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2022, 12:40:07 AM »

Are there also a fair number of Sunni imams, scholars, and other authority figures of dubious credibility but nevertheless, a significant following? Tongue

While on the subject of this comparison, the American mainstream media seemed to have discovered so-called cultural Christianity—specifically in the form of white evangelical Protestants, the most interesting religious community to media and political pollsters—during the 2016 Republican presidential primaries. Members of this forum have long had spirited conversations with BRTD re: “cultural” religion in general, and cultural Catholicism in particular—perhaps BRTD’s least favorite subject. Regardless, this is not a novel subject for us.

My impression is that it’s even harder to define Islam (and by implication, Muslims) narrowly as a religion in the individualistic/personal way that most Americans, maybe Protestants and secular Americans in particular, conceptualize religion; but I’m not certain of this.

That's my impression as well, and I've noticed that it has a tendency to stymy serious conversations about prejudice against Muslims, but also about, conversely, the problems that Islam and Islamic societies do tend to have. What's being discussed is never "just" the on-paper tenets of Islam-the-religion, something I think all sides of this or that argument about it would do well to recognize more clearly before the argument begins.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2022, 08:32:53 PM »

this isn't a fair comparison

on balance islam but only because "islam" in general is much more intellectually diverse than "evangelical christianity" is
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »

Both are equally terrible
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2022, 03:24:10 PM »

That's my impression as well, and I've noticed that it has a tendency to stymy serious conversations about prejudice against Muslims, but also about, conversely, the problems that Islam and Islamic societies do tend to have. What's being discussed is never "just" the on-paper tenets of Islam-the-religion, something I think all sides of this or that argument about it would do well to recognize more clearly before the argument begins.

Islamic theology is vastly worse than Muslim societies, also the vast majority of Muslims are also far better people than Muhammed was.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2022, 11:08:50 PM »

Islamic theology is vastly worse than Muslim societies, also the vast majority of Muslims are also far better people than Muhammed was.

The post of mine that you're responding to doesn't say otherwise, nor does it say...well, the opposite of otherwise.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2022, 09:51:42 PM »

Changing my mind back to Evangelical Christianity after reading "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Yeah yeah, I know, not all Muslims, not all Christians, but only the worst, fringiest Christian sects are as immiserating as many entire Muslim societies.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2022, 04:40:35 PM »

As for what it is (theologically; belief system): Islam. Lots of overlap with Judaism. Lots of things that make perfect sense.

As for what it does (to society: in which society would I rather prefer to live?): Evangelical Christianity.

To put it slightly differently: Islam's rigidity is theologically and intellectually appealing, but - when applied strictly -  does not make for very pleasant societies to live in; at least not for someone like me, whose values are largely shaped by the modern world.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2022, 09:22:08 AM »

historical Islam >>> Historical Christianity.

You know about Islamic Gold Age, and European Medieval Ages.

Who do you think approved of the scientific method, yes. The biggest scientists of that time were Arabs. The best explorers of the time were also Arabs like Ibn Al Battuta.

Many Middle East Empires were tolerant like Ottomans or the Moors. Who were intolerant: yes the ones calling for crusades, and the backwards civilizations in Europe. Even norsemen were superior to Europeans.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2022, 10:30:35 AM »

There isn't much of a liberal Islam. There isn't much liberalism in charismatic Christianity, either.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2022, 02:20:19 PM »

historical Islam >>> Historical Christianity.

You know about Islamic Gold Age, and European Medieval Ages.

Who do you think approved of the scientific method, yes. The biggest scientists of that time were Arabs. The best explorers of the time were also Arabs like Ibn Al Battuta.

Many Middle East Empires were tolerant like Ottomans or the Moors. Who were intolerant: yes the ones calling for crusades, and the backwards civilizations in Europe. Even norsemen were superior to Europeans.

The Muslim conquered the richest parts of the Roman Empire and turned it into the Middle East, the Christians lived in the post-apocalyptic ruins of poorest part of the Roman Empire and turned it into Europe.

The “enlightened” Caliphate suffered from rampant peasant revolts, they continued attacked and raided their neighbors for slaves and tribute, their economies depended on taxing second class citizens or raiding, they were center of the global slave trade and while slavery was falling in importance in the late Roman Empire, they revived it and pushed it to height never seen before or even after. Civil Wars over succession or religious difference were common.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »

european.txt
Yeah and it's still correct.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2022, 05:41:42 PM »

Breitbart has invaded the forum. 
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2022, 08:25:12 PM »

It sure has.

Posters are advised to avoid describing entire religious or philosophical traditions in intensely moralistic and censorious terms.
SInNYC

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2022, 02:02:39 PM »

Whichever one is in a less regressive social climate at that time/place.

Evangelical extremists arent as extreme as extremist Islamicists today. Even the most extreme of evangelicals are more likely to see a shrink than follow directions if they see a burning bush talking to them. I cant say the same for analogous scenarios involving extremist Islamicists.

But this is really more to do with the socioeconomic climate of the regions that establish official position on the religion. Thus, LRA is considered heterodoxy, while ISIS isnt considered as heterodox as LRA.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies