Did less in-person campaigning hurt Biden specifically in the swing states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Did less in-person campaigning hurt Biden specifically in the swing states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did less in-person campaigning hurt Biden specifically in the swing states?  (Read 1171 times)
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2023, 11:52:55 PM »

In 2020, we had a historically large PV-EC gap. It seems like while Biden improved a lot in safe states (such as Kentucky, Oklahoma, Colorado, most of New England, etc.) while Trump held up much better in the swing states. I wonder if some of this discrepancy could be attributed to Trump campaigning more in swing states than Biden did.

n 2022, it looks like a lot of the gap has narrowed, and if the polls are correct for 2024, the PV-EC gap will also be nearly nonexistent in 2024. In 2022, it's possible that Democrats started campaigning more in swing seats, leading to less of a Republican outperformance in swing seats. In this sense, it's possible that Democrats didn't actually outperform in swing districts/states 2022, but Republicans actually outperformed in 2020, which was used as a baseline.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 09:49:51 AM »

There's probably some truth to that, but one thing that gives me pause is that Biden's people weren't doing in-person campaigning in safe blue states either, yet they still swung leftward. I'm not sure.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 01:39:40 PM »

There's probably some truth to that, but one thing that gives me pause is that Biden's people weren't doing in-person campaigning in safe blue states either, yet they still swung leftward. I'm not sure.
My point is that in swing states, Trump campaigned but Biden didn't, allowing him do to better relatively in those states. In Safe Red and Safe Blue states, neither campaigned, so neither person had an advantage in this respect and the fundamentals decided those states.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 01:53:41 PM »

The swing states are the ones where abortion policy can meaningfully be shifted one way or another, ergo Democrats performed better in them in 2022.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 08:23:22 PM »

Not so much as not door to door campaigning. That cost Democrats several house seats and probably cost Biden NC.

The fact that Democrats did door to door during Georgia run offs shows it would have helped a lot
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 07:18:19 AM »

It appears that turnout in safe blue states went up relative to turnout in safe red states, because they made more COVID modifications to voting on average.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 11:57:29 PM »

It appears that turnout in safe blue states went up relative to turnout in safe red states, because they made more COVID modifications to voting on average.
Could this explain some of the state-national poll divergence? This time, it might be safe red states that turn out more compared to safe blue states, even if the margins in each states don't shift as much, allowing Trump to gain in the PV.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 05:50:35 PM »

I think it made a difference. It was essentially unilateral disarmament, and in 2022 making up for that may have meant a lot when it came to how well Democrats did. And because of those results Demicrats are in a much stronger position in many battlegrounds for 2024, I believe.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies