Biden Primetime Address 9/1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 07:29:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Primetime Address 9/1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Author Topic: Biden Primetime Address 9/1  (Read 12313 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 02, 2022, 07:39:39 PM »

I would argue that Biden was being very fair and deferential in this speech, perhaps overly fair, by continuing to make his distinction between "MAGA" and "mainstream" Republicans, as if there are almost an equal amount of both.

And it's not like he wasn't backing up his assertions about the MAGA faction being a danger to the republic and to certain rights many Americans take for granted. Everything he mentioned from the threats to the FBI to the insurrection were obvious horrors that Americans can and have perceived with their own senses. He isn't making s*** up as the famously unifying Trump and his toadies like Dr. Oz are doing. "John Fetterman is letting convicted felons out of prison!"

Please, give me a f***ing break with the outrage over this speech. It was said earlier, and by a few people, that if you're offended at Biden very frankly diagnosing the problems in our current political culture then you're part of those problems.

I think texasgurl said it best about 4 pages back ...

If you're pissed about Biden's speech, he was talking about you.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #301 on: September 02, 2022, 08:40:39 PM »

Back on subject...

Republicans?

What so you?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #302 on: September 02, 2022, 09:25:55 PM »

I'm also pretty sure no one in the media called for Trump to ever apologize to Democrats for the many times he called them fascists, traitors, treasonous, terrible people, etc.

And that was the entire party! Biden was literally just talking about election deniers and insurrectionists.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #303 on: September 02, 2022, 09:26:39 PM »

The issue, isn't just MAGA the issue is as long as Trump is a free man he can interfere in Elections that's why he instigated Voter suppression laws, he is free to campaign for Rs as long as he wants, why because we have a Republican FBI Director that Trump appointed not just a D AG

As long as Trump is a free man he will fundraise, that's been the whole issue thru this campaign, Trump not being INDICTED

citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #304 on: September 02, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »

Welp. I guess Trump supporters aren't enemies after all??

Very confusing lingo coming from the White House this week. I don't think this was a smart play.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2022, 02:14:45 AM »

Welp. I guess Trump supporters aren't enemies after all??

Very confusing lingo coming from the White House this week. I don't think this was a smart play.

>Reasonable arguement
>Washington Free Beacon
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2022, 03:09:01 AM »

Back on subject...

Of course it didn't. The media wants Trump re-elected because a Trump presidency lines their pockets.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2022, 06:22:20 AM »

Republicans would be well advised not to take the bait this speech is.
From a strategic POV I would suggest Rs just ignore this speech. Becoming very angry in response to this speech validates Biden's framing and makes you look bad.
This is Biden's chosen ground. Most Americans don't think of President Biden as malevolent. Acting like he is, puts space between you and the swing voter you need to win the House and the Senate back.
But it's hard for Republicans to avoid getting mad here - I can understand the feeling - and deftly, this kind of outrage is the sort that the media loves to cover.
The media loves to divide us into little segments and get us to dislike each other. Biden figures the media will do this either way. So he's getting them some fish food.
Deft if you ask me...
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2022, 06:52:48 AM »

From a strategic POV I would suggest Rs just ignore this speech. Becoming very angry in response to this speech validates Biden's framing and makes you look bad.
This is Biden's chosen ground. Most Americans don't think of President Biden as malevolent. Acting like he is, puts space between you and the swing voter you need to win the House and the Senate back.
But it's hard for Republicans to avoid getting mad here - I can understand the feeling - and deftly, this kind of outrage is the sort that the media loves to cover.
The media loves to divide us into little segments and get us to dislike each other. Biden figures the media will do this either way. So he's getting them some fish food.
Deft if you ask me...

Maybe Biden's trying to save democracy and the political implications for swing voters are somewhat important but secondary?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #309 on: September 03, 2022, 07:07:05 AM »

Deft if you ask me...

Maybe Biden's trying to save democracy and the political implications for swing voters are somewhat important but secondary?
I was (mostly) saying what considerations came into play if I was a Republican strategist trying to minimize losses (or even generate gains) from this from a pure win-lose perspective. (I, as those who know me, happen to be a Biden supporter whose actual personal preferences lie elsewhere)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2022, 07:49:47 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2022, 08:49:08 AM by Lesbian Dance Theory scholar »

Big Lie supporters have zero credibility and should not be taken seriously by anyone.

The people who promote these falsehoods knowingly should be beaten, tarred, and feathered if anything.

If you support the people who promote these falsehoods knowingly, you are complicit.

End of.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2022, 07:56:20 AM »

They just had the fascist Hungarian dictator speak at their conference, but are mad at being called fascists.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »

Honestly asking....

What specifically did Biden say that was so outrageous?

What's wrong with a president declaring that insurrections are bad?
What's wrong with a president saying political violence is wrong?
What's wrong with a president saying democracy is good?

1. What happened January 6th is done. It's finished. Bringing it up is now only political theater, and even then, it's arguable whether it was even an "insurrection". A riot at the Capitol is treated like an attack, but tearing down statues or killing people in the streets during race riots is treating with a soft soap. It's selective, and therefore, theater.

2. Donald Trump also tried to say political violence was bad on both sides, and Democrats used that for more divisiveness because they want to pick and choose which sides are allowed to be violent instead of condemning both. They're being selective.

3. The democracy argument doesn't hold weight if it's selective. If you say Trump not conceding is a threat to democracy but Stacey Abrams not conceding isn't, then it's not real outrage, it's selective outrage which then becomes...political theater.

Most of this forum is selective outage, virtue signaling and political theater.

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

This is clearly the average poster on this forum:

Not an argument.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2022, 09:40:15 AM »

If you're pissed about Biden's speech, he was talking about you.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kafkatrap
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2022, 10:16:59 AM »

They tried to violently overthrow the US government, but are mad about being called a threat.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2022, 10:26:38 AM »

And that was the entire party! Biden was literally just talking about election deniers and insurrectionists.

Am I an election denier and/or insurrectionist? 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »

Are you?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2022, 10:31:55 AM »

Are you?

Some posters here say I am because I don't fall for politically-motivated histrionics about the end of American democracy.  I've condemned the Capitol riot and never denied Biden won the 2020 election (which is exactly where most Republicans in Congress are too.) 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: September 03, 2022, 10:43:02 AM »

Are you?

Some posters here say I am because I don't fall for politically-motivated histrionics about the end of American democracy.  I've condemned the Capitol riot and never denied Biden won the 2020 election (which is exactly where most Republicans in Congress are too.) 
Many Republicans in congress voted for lawsuits against the results of the election. Would you have done the same?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »

Are you?

This is quite literally a lie. Nearly 150 congress people in the GOP voted to overturn the election. So no, that's "not" where most Republicans in congress are.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »

Are you?

Many Republicans in congress voted for lawsuits against the results of the election. Would you have done the same?

I would not have filed an amicus in support of Texas vs. Pennsylvania, if that's what you're alluding to
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »

From some of our previous discussions, I'd say you're more of an insurrection denier. Wink
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2022, 11:02:15 AM »

Are you?

I would not have filed an amicus in support of Texas vs. Pennsylvania, if that's what you're alluding to

You’re not an insurrectionist or election denier but you support insurrectionists and election deniers. And that’s just as bad.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »

Are you?

If you were in Congress, would you have voted to certify all the electoral votes that Biden won?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #324 on: September 03, 2022, 11:04:26 AM »

Are you?

You’re not an insurrectionist or election denier but you support insurrectionists and election deniers. And that’s just as bad.

"Support" is doing a lot of work here.  Like I said, avoiding motivated histrionics isn't unqualified support.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies