Will Student Loan forgiveness stand? Nope.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 01:31:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Student Loan forgiveness stand? Nope.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
Author Topic: Will Student Loan forgiveness stand? Nope.  (Read 9660 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »

While I personally support Biden's measure, I'd actually say it's something that should be done through the legislative way. Sadly, Republicans have little desire to get anything meaningful done.

I guess the entire education system is in dire need for some reforms, especially making a higher education not depended on the financial status of a child's parents. It's wrong and even from an economic perspective makes little sense since it's a waste of potential.

Lol next Nov Sinema is out of the S and swing state has us at 218 I'm the H and Brown is leading in OH and Tester, ALLRED and Kunce have 50 percentage pts Approval and there is no nominee in FL all the Rs can count on is WV Justice like IA Ds are conceding IA and WV it's only 2 percentage of blk vote in WV and IA

We will win 232 DH and 53/47 S next Nov all we have to do is wait, just wait

Rs can never catch us in VBM look at WI, PA and FL we beat them already, this year
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2023, 10:22:34 AM »

Flushing hundreds of billions of dollars down the drain to give MD's/JD's a massive handout would be a disgraceful waste of public resources that could be put to better uses. Targeting loan forgiveness for those swindled by for-profit universities is necessary, as are some reforms speeding along forgiveness for income-baseed repayment.

Far more important are reforms that would expand Pell Grants dramatically, both in terms of subsidy amounts and income thresholds, along with more cost controls and restrictions on student loans.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »

The biggest issue for me with loan forgiveness is it doesn't tackle the root of the problem when it comes to obscene tuition costs. You can forgive loans now but what happens next year? College freshmen all over the country enroll in universities and accumulate debt. Do we forgive $10k of loans every year? And at what income level?

You have many private universities charging an excess of $80-90k/year. How does one fix that? I don't know.

Take away student loans at such low rates.  Student loans at such low rates artificially lower the cost of college in the short run and artificially creates demand for a college education that is not justified from a cost-benefit point of view.  This merely pushed up the market price for college education which in turn creates more pressure to make cheap student loans available.

I've long agreed that the ease of getting student loans has pushed up the cost of college because the schools can get away with it thanks to loan money.

But where is the money going? How can one reel it in? These are things I really don't know or understand. Do we steer students away from less useful majors? Cut back departments entirely? I know when I went to college, I majored in political science and economics. I knew poli sci was useless, and if I hadn't gone to law school, I wanted to have a major to fall back on for a real job, so I studied economics in the event I wanted to go into finance. I ended up going to law school and becoming an attorney, but a lot of others don't think like I do, they think in the moment and ignore the long term ramifications of their choices.

All I know is the basic notion of forgiving current loans does not solve this problem. It gets votes for sure, but that's all it really does.

The tuition money is primarily going to administration and amenities.

The administration side is a parallel development to CEO making far more proportionally than employees. There's a lot more Administrators now for colleges than before, and making more money. This development is for good reasons (most universities have Offices of Diversity, which did not  exist two generation ago) but it adds to larger operating budgets.

The amenity side is more complicated. The USA is past the peak number of college students, and applicants apply to more universities than ever. This means universities are in competition with others for the same pot of students, and since they're offering the same "base product" they feel the need to add more amenities. This ranges from college sports (a well invested + successful athletics program attracts non-athletes, too) to high quality dorms, to extensive dining options, gyms, etc. These raise tuition prices, but universities count on 1) students viewing the better experience to be worth the price, 2) students having parents who can afford it, or 3) students get sufficient scholarships or loans to bring their costs in line with cheaper options with less amenities.

FWIW I am watching this situation play out as a neutral: I was very fortunate to be able to go to a private university without any debt (thanks for very generous scholarships/non-loan financial aid, and parents who could afford it), but as a 20-something college educated person in a major city I do know plenty of "the 3%" that GMac mentions who have substantial loan debt. I'm aware that's a small minority, and aware that this forgiveness halt isn't a surprise, but at the same time it's unfortunate for those friends I have with a lot of debt.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #428 on: July 02, 2023, 05:00:08 PM »

The biggest issue for me with loan forgiveness is it doesn't tackle the root of the problem when it comes to obscene tuition costs. You can forgive loans now but what happens next year? College freshmen all over the country enroll in universities and accumulate debt. Do we forgive $10k of loans every year? And at what income level?

You have many private universities charging an excess of $80-90k/year. How does one fix that? I don't know.

It should be noted that excluding the top tier Ivy League, or Ivy League like schools ( who often offer scholarships anyway ), most private universities are popular because they're easier ironically to get into.

I had a friend in high school, who wanted to major in Theatre. So guess where she went ? A private University known as the New School in NYC, which has a very high acceptance rate, and yet charges 30k a year ( after financial aid even ). It's not even known for it's theatre programs, like Julliard ( which would have provided full ride scholarships I believe ). And the school itself ? It's ranked very very low. Meanwhile, the local state University ranks higher, has the same major, and the tuition is only 5k a year, average.

So...... yeah. She didn't get into CSU Sacramento.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: July 02, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »

Here are a solution: Limit the amount of student loans you get to the cost of instate universities and require the rest of be cosigned by the out of state university.

If you want to do that, you have to change the culture of American higher education.

No one goes for the " education". You can get an accounting degree at your local CSU, for cheap. No, you have to go to a out of state University, for the amenities.

Like why many of my friends in high school all went to Boise State, Arizona State, University of Nevada Reno.

Take away student loans at such low rates.  Student loans at such low rates artificially lower the cost of college in the short run and artificially creates demand for a college education that is not justified from a cost-benefit point of view.  This merely pushed up the market price for college education which in turn creates more pressure to make cheap student loans available.

I've long agreed that the ease of getting student loans has pushed up the cost of college because the schools can get away with it thanks to loan money.

But where is the money going? How can one reel it in? These are things I really don't know or understand. Do we steer students away from less useful majors? Cut back departments entirely? I know when I went to college, I majored in political science and economics. I knew poli sci was useless, and if I hadn't gone to law school, I wanted to have a major to fall back on for a real job, so I studied economics in the event I wanted to go into finance. I ended up going to law school and becoming an attorney, but a lot of others don't think like I do, they think in the moment and ignore the long term ramifications of their choices.

All I know is the basic notion of forgiving current loans does not solve this problem. It gets votes for sure, but that's all it really does.

The most popular major is Business. https://www.niche.com/blog/the-most-popular-college-majors/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #430 on: July 02, 2023, 05:06:07 PM »

Here are a solution: Limit the amount of student loans you get to the cost of instate universities and require the rest of be cosigned by the out of state university.

If you want to do that, you have to change the culture of American higher education.

No one goes for the " education". You can get an accounting degree at your local CSU, for cheap. No, you have to go to a out of state University, for the amenities.

My proposal would change the culture of higher education though. Change the incentive structure, and you will see the culture change
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #431 on: July 02, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »

My proposal would change the culture of higher education though. Change the incentive structure, and you will see the culture change

Sad part is; these kids might not even qualify for a in state university anyway.

Like my sister had a classmate who was not that smart.... but she wanted to study business. The Local State University, didn't accept her. So she went to the University of Tampa, in Florida.  A mediocre party school.

Her parents have to pay 40k a year.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #432 on: July 02, 2023, 05:21:18 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2023, 05:25:25 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Sad part is; these kids might not even qualify for a in state university anyway.

Like my sister had a classmate who was not that smart.... but she wanted to study business. The Local State University, didn't accept her. So she went to the University of Tampa, in Florida.  A mediocre party school.

Her parents have to pay 40k a year.

Lol do you know why they didn't forgive Student loans due to War in Ukraine Congress has to approve more Funding for Ukraine that's why they got rid of the Food stamps stimulus

War Appropriates 868B and Student loan Forgiveness was 400B

That's why I support NATO AND BIDEN BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE TRUMP JUDGES PERIOD NOT AT THE Appeals or District CRT level but all D Prez Obama Libya, Clinton Kosovo and Biden Ukraine are neocons

Obama didn't pull us out of Iraq it was called residual forces, Hillary could of done the same thing

I like Obama but Obama kept the Filibuster and Hillary could of done the same thing she was the Fav in 2008  not in 2016
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies