Zombie voter complaint thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Zombie voter complaint thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Zombie voter complaint thread  (Read 769 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:16:34 PM »
« edited: August 25, 2022, 08:49:10 PM by Torie »

OK, this particular zombie voter is hit up for his next to non-existent information vote. Fair enough. But did it ever occur to you all, who really need a new hobby, to have a "pandemic" Board of Elections thread that discloses the results? Back when, some nerd actually did the traps, step by step, with the math of IRV voting. With the late unpleasantness, that might be too steep a hill to climb to return to. But even conclusory numbers,   and maybe the venue for challenges, that is stickied and labeled, might be a good idea. Absent that, perhaps I might never vote again, because it seems just too much of a one night's stand for my most delicate sensibilities.  Sunglasses
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »

bestie this is an arby’s
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 06:35:52 PM »

I was never an election tracker, but all of that business is pretty much relegated to Discord now, sadly. Wulfric does most of it, and I joined Lokard for the sole purpose of getting the updates.

The future is now, old man. Sunglasses
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, there are sometimes result trackers on the forum, and Battista posted the results in the voting booth thread. There isn't one stickied thread for results analysis though.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 07:49:06 PM »

You know what, I might do an election tracker on the forum presuming I am not busy in October.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 08:39:32 PM »

I do tracking and calls on discord for every election. I also do a comprehensive entrance poll for the presidential elections that is published like RL networks exit polls. Sometimes some of this gets relayed to the forum. I've also hosted several debates.

However, stuff I did years ago like pre-election surveys and live tracking of turnout by party are rare or non-existent because of the way the game works in this day and age:

1. Candidates are recruited at literally the last minute
2. Many People either refuse to respond to polls or submit troll responses.
3. Candidates agree to debates but then back out of them, sometimes right in the middle of the debate. I do try to plough through but sometimes I have had to call it off.
4. Both sides hold most of their votes until the final hours, making knowing turnout or winners largely impossible until the end.
5. Turnout in major elections has dropped from 200 or more to not even 120, making polling even harder because there are less voters to potentially be respondents.

There isn't a perfect panacea to change all this, but it does need to be addressed in some form.
----

There's also several frustrations I have with elections and the broader game:

1. Unlike 1-3 years ago, I am the only one tracking stuff. There is no one being a 'second tracker' on the forum or elsewhere for me to check numbers with.
2. People get active for stuff like "Lincoln Seceding!", "New Constitution!", "New Attempt  to Ban McDonalds gaining steam!" or most recently "Labor is literally destroying the game!", but fail to stay active for the game as a whole.
3. People get themselves elected to legislative jobs but then fail to write bills, debate, or sometimes even show up to vote. I shouldn't be the only one writing bills for Lincoln.
4. People blatantly fail to even try to do other important jobs. Kaiser, in his last few months as Governor of Lincoln, and LT, still Southern Governor, typically fail(ed) to sign bills. Yes, we have inaction clauses, but they're supposed to be last resorts, not the usual business. Election results sometimes go uncertified forever (*cough* South this time *cough*) - yes it hasn't effected any super competitive race yet, but one day it will if we let it. Heck, I'm not supposed to be the one running Lincoln Elections - the Governor is supposed to, or a direct appointee. I only end up doing it because it's what the succession rules currently require of me, and the people who are supposed to do it are MIA. This has happened a bit in the South too by the way, with Reagente running some elections. And don't even get me started on the drama of the continual troubles filling the GM roles.

Sometimes people respond to this with "[insert rl excuse]". Well, yes, I get it, things happen, yada yada. But when you're using this as your way to avoid ever taking any active role in the game, including when elected to office, then why are you even here?

Sometimes people respond to this with some complaint about me or [insert other personality here]. That's great - Me or LT or whoever isn't running the domain. Start your own polling company. Run your own debate. Sign up to be a GM team member. Run for office. Write a bill. Debate a bill. Don't just sit there and complain, or wait for a constitutional crisis to force action. Do something.

If you are signing up for the game, you should be devoting an hour or two a week to doing game-related activities - particularly if you've been elected to office. No one is asking for you to sign off every evening to the game. If everyone just sat down for 2 hours a week - 17 minutes a day - and devoted attention to furthering our democracy in some concrete way , this game could be great again. Whoever you are, I know you spend 17 minutes a day and more playing video games or watching Netflix or watching Twitch or sitting around deciding what to do next or maybe even just typing complaints to the forum about why you aren't more active. Take some of that time and use it to better the game.

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »

Assuming I'm not busy I plan on doing a vote tracker in october as well. My parents were visiting this past weekend which is why I didn't track it (or vote)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 10:46:10 PM »

I miss the days when people like Earl would do trackers on the AFE Board. It did sort of "democratize" the STV strategy somewhat.

Sure you have something similar with Wulfric, but it is nearly discord exclusive, which as some might recall, I raised hell about last year. As this thread demonstrates, it creates a downward cycle of disengagement because the access to the information is reduced.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 11:42:47 PM »

Every election recently I have been asking Wulfric nicely in public or in private to post the updates on-forum even if he must continue doing that on Discord. It is frustrating to not have at least that level of information about what goes on on the weekends. I think my recent absurdly hellish couple of weeks is generally public knowledge at this point however and that does tend to lead to even important things slipping one's mind.

The tracking stuff that non-Wulfric players do is subject like everything else to the rise and fall of their activity levels but certainly posting trackers of that kind needs to go on the forum. Even that would do wonders provided other people are willing to engage, as they very much should be given recent activity.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 11:56:22 PM »

Honestly, the ideal world would be two trackers, one posted on discord, and one on the forum. Presumably run by different people so it isn't one person doing everything, so they can check each other's math, and so that the coverage isn't biased in any one direction.

Me posting my discord trackers to the forum, which has happened from time to time, only solves the issue of "I can't join discord!". It doesn't solve the fact that I'm stuck doing everything election-related on top of running Lincoln basically on my own, with either set to collapse if neglected. It doesn't solve the fact that this game clearly has no contingency plan if I for some reason can't do DDNN some weekend.

That being said, October's stuff will go on the forum in some form. Doesn't change the fact that other people should do coverage also.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 03:15:47 AM »

One thing I'll just note that I PMed Governor LT asking questions about why the elections had not been certified. Nothing happened in reply.
Zilch. Nada.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 10:18:16 AM »

OK, this particular zombie voter is hit up for his next to non-existent information vote. Fair enough. But did it ever occur to you all, who really need a new hobby, to have a "pandemic" Board of Elections thread that discloses the results? Back when, some nerd actually did the traps, step by step, with the math of IRV voting. With the late unpleasantness, that might be too steep a hill to climb to return to. But even conclusory numbers,   and maybe the venue for challenges, that is stickied and labeled, might be a good idea. Absent that, perhaps I might never vote again, because it seems just too much of a one night's stand for my most delicate sensibilities.  Sunglasses

Unfortunately for us oldtimers basically the entire game is on Discord now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 10:33:22 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 06:08:14 PM by Torie »

OK, this particular zombie voter is hit up for his next to non-existent information vote. Fair enough. But did it ever occur to you all, who really need a new hobby, to have a "pandemic" Board of Elections thread that discloses the results? Back when, some nerd actually did the traps, step by step, with the math of IRV voting. With the late unpleasantness, that might be too steep a hill to climb to return to. But even conclusory numbers,   and maybe the venue for challenges, that is stickied and labeled, might be a good idea. Absent that, perhaps I might never vote again, because it seems just too much of a one night's stand for my most delicate sensibilities.  Sunglasses

For my own good, I have decided that my life for its entirety will be a Discord free zone. It is amazing that nowhere on this Board is it clearly disclosed that what you see is but the tip of the iceberg.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 10:46:40 AM »

OK, this particular zombie voter is hit up for his next to non-existent information vote. Fair enough. But did it ever occur to you all, who really need a new hobby, to have a "pandemic" Board of Elections thread that discloses the results? Back when, some nerd actually did the traps, step by step, with the math of IRV voting. With the late unpleasantness, that might be too steep a hill to climb to return to. But even conclusory numbers,   and maybe the venue for challenges, that is stickied and labeled, might be a good idea. Absent that, perhaps I might never vote again, because it seems just too much of a one night's stand for my most delicate sensibilities.  Sunglasses

For my own good, I have decided that my life for its entirety will be a Discord free zone. It is amazing that nowhere on this Board is it clearly disclosed that what you see if but the tip of the iceberg.

Entirely agreed on that last part. Then folks get confused why the game is dying! (I do use Discord for other purposes.)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 04:33:14 PM »

4. People blatantly fail to even try to do other important jobs. Kaiser, in his last few months as Governor of Lincoln, and LT, still Southern Governor, typically fail(ed) to sign bills. Yes, we have inaction clauses, but they're supposed to be last resorts, not the usual business. Election results sometimes go uncertified forever (*cough* South this time *cough*) - yes it hasn't effected any super competitive race yet, but one day it will if we let it. Heck, I'm not supposed to be the one running Lincoln Elections - the Governor is supposed to, or a direct appointee. I only end up doing it because it's what the succession rules currently require of me, and the people who are supposed to do it are MIA. This has happened a bit in the South too by the way, with Reagente running some elections. And don't even get me started on the drama of the continual troubles filling the GM roles.

Ftr as the sitting Lincoln governor, if you want the role of election counter and to become the official "said appointee" just let me know and I'll nominate you for that Tongue
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 05:19:33 PM »

Ftr as the sitting Lincoln governor, if you want the role of election counter and to become the official "said appointee" just let me know and I'll nominate you for that Tongue

If you want to nominate me for that, that's fine, if you want to do it, that's fine also. I just don't want to be figuring out what's supposed to happen on election eve.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »

If you want to nominate me for that, that's fine, if you want to do it, that's fine also. I just don't want to be figuring out what's supposed to happen on election eve.

Ok, since you asked for it, here's your commission. You are welcome!

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies