SB 110-23: Streets to Schools Act of 2022 (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:45:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 110-23: Streets to Schools Act of 2022 (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 110-23: Streets to Schools Act of 2022 (Debating)  (Read 1211 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2022, 04:53:25 PM »

Streets to Schools Act of 2022

I. Title

The title of this legislation shall be called the "Streets to Schools Act of 2022" and shall be cited as "S2S"

II. Purpose and Intent

To establish a program for low income individuals and those involved in illegal activities to provide a higher education funded by the federal government. The intent is to decrease poverty and crime rates among younger and lower class individuals.

III. Establishment of Program

This legislation will create the "Streets to Schools Education Program" which will provide federal funding for individuals in one of two brackets, low income and delinquent individuals, to attend two year universities or colleges, with requirements described in section IV of this legislation.

IV. Requirements

The requirements for eligibility for this program is as follows:

a.) Low income: Individuals in the low income bracket must be a dependent of a family who's income is less than $42,000 per year, or is not a dependent with an income less than $42,000 a year.

Registration with the program will be audited for those who are eligible for the program, funding will be reviewed once every semester to track the progress of students. Students of this bracket are required to maintain a C+ average in any and all classes they may take, with a minimum of three (3) classes per semester. If found in violation of the programs minimum requirements, funding will be revoked.

b.)  Delinquent Individuals: Individuals who partake in illegal acts, such as illicit drug dealing, gang activity, or prostitution.

Individuals in this bracket are required to disclose prior activities and affiliations with the program. All illegal substances and materials (ie. drugs, weapons) owned by an individual must be turned in to regional authorities as detailed in Section V. If the individual is found to possess illegal substances and materials during the program, or the individual is arrested for partaking in illegal activities, their eligibility shall be terminated immediately.

Registration with the program will be audited for those who are eligible for the program, funding will be reviewed once every semester to track the progress of students. Students of this bracket are required to maintain a C+ average in any and all classes they may take, with a minimum of three (3) classes per semester. If found in violation of the programs minimum requirements, funding will be revoked.

V. Regional Coordination

Regions are required to mandate athorities to accept illegal substances and materials without charges to the individual for proper disposal in accordance with the program. Funding will be specified for this purpose in Section VI.

VI. Funding

A total, to be determined by the Senate and amended into this section, will be allocated to this program. Regions will be provided an additional $2,000,000 per region to establish collection programs.

VII. Enactment

This legislation will go into effect one year following the bills passage as to provide proper time for program setup and coordination.

Sponsor: ReaganClinton

The Vice President is recognized. Also, WD wanted to co-sponsor this bill. 24 hours to object to that.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 10:26:57 AM »

As no one has spoken on the bill yet, I will give a full justification for its existence. The opportunities for lower income Atlasians to gain socioeconomic monility are unfortunately few and far between. Many take to the streets in desperation, turning to gangs and committing crimes including drug trafficking. This bill aims to take a sizable portion of our less fortunate population and give them an economic opportunity for the future in exchange for product that is illegally peddled in our streets.

The working theory is that if given the opportunity of higher education, those who have fallen to dangerous street work will take said opportunity to make a better living for themselves and their family. This sociological approach would target to decrease both the rising population of street gangs but also drug trafficking and in turn prison populations. This is not intended to be a free handout, but a mutually agreed upon deal to both keep our streets clean and our young citizens on the right path for legitimate success in life.

I yield with the note that I will field any questions directed to me.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 11:40:58 AM »

I applaud this bill. To reduce crime, we need to reduce the underlying causes and address dissatisfaction with the status quo. However I am uncertain what C+ indicates here since + isn't used in my university's grading scales. Maybe it would be better to replace that with 75% average instead?
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 05:37:11 PM »

I am uncertain what C+ indicates here since + isn't used in my university's grading scales. Maybe it would be better to replace that with 75% average instead?
I appreciate your concerns, Senator. I want a priority for this bill to keep a high water mark for those given this opportunity. I believe that can be a simple fix for the confusion as any letter grade can be feasibly converted into a number grade, however, 75% might be slightly too low. Would you agree that 78% would be closer to a C+ as an aggregate?
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »

I am uncertain what C+ indicates here since + isn't used in my university's grading scales. Maybe it would be better to replace that with 75% average instead?
I appreciate your concerns, Senator. I want a priority for this bill to keep a high water mark for those given this opportunity. I believe that can be a simple fix for the confusion as any letter grade can be feasibly converted into a number grade, however, 75% might be slightly too low. Would you agree that 78% would be closer to a C+ as an aggregate?
That sounds reasonable to me.
Streets to Schools Act of 2022

I. Title

The title of this legislation shall be called the "Streets to Schools Act of 2022" and shall be cited as "S2S"

II. Purpose and Intent

To establish a program for low income individuals and those involved in illegal activities to provide a higher education funded by the federal government. The intent is to decrease poverty and crime rates among younger and lower class individuals.

III. Establishment of Program

This legislation will create the "Streets to Schools Education Program" which will provide federal funding for individuals in one of two brackets, low income and delinquent individuals, to attend two year universities or colleges, with requirements described in section IV of this legislation.

IV. Requirements

The requirements for eligibility for this program is as follows:

a.) Low income: Individuals in the low income bracket must be a dependent of a family who's income is less than $42,000 per year, or is not a dependent with an income less than $42,000 a year.

Registration with the program will be audited for those who are eligible for the program, funding will be reviewed once every semester to track the progress of students. Students of this bracket are required to maintain a C+78 out of 100 average in any and all classes they may take, with a minimum of three (3) classes per semester. If found in violation of the programs minimum requirements, funding will be revoked.

b.)  Delinquent Individuals: Individuals who partake in illegal acts, such as illicit drug dealing, gang activity, or prostitution.

Individuals in this bracket are required to disclose prior activities and affiliations with the program. All illegal substances and materials (ie. drugs, weapons) owned by an individual must be turned in to regional authorities as detailed in Section V. If the individual is found to possess illegal substances and materials during the program, or the individual is arrested for partaking in illegal activities, their eligibility shall be terminated immediately.

Registration with the program will be audited for those who are eligible for the program, funding will be reviewed once every semester to track the progress of students. Students of this bracket are required to maintain a C+ 78 out of 100 average in any and all classes they may take, with a minimum of three (3) classes per semester. If found in violation of the programs minimum requirements, funding will be revoked.

V. Regional Coordination

Regions are required to mandate athorities to accept illegal substances and materials without charges to the individual for proper disposal in accordance with the program. Funding will be specified for this purpose in Section VI.

VI. Funding

A total, to be determined by the Senate and amended into this section, will be allocated to this program. Regions will be provided an additional $2,000,000 per region to establish collection programs.

VII. Enactment

This legislation will go into effect one year following the bills passage as to provide proper time for program setup and coordination.

Specifically stating "out of 100" to avoid any potential ambiguity regarding some class having a system where scores are out of some other number.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 08:02:50 AM »

As debate as ceased for 96 hours, bringing this bill to a final vote. 24 hours to object.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 08:29:36 PM »

A final vote is now open. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 08:36:29 PM »

Aye
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »

Aye
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 09:16:03 PM »

There are eighteen people in this body and not one of them appears to have noticed they dropped the ball on the funding section. Tongue
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 01:35:40 AM »

There are eighteen people in this body and not one of them appears to have noticed they dropped the ball on the funding section. Tongue
To be fair it was a lame duck session but jeez, not a good start for this session.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 04:58:05 AM »

Nay
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 10:33:57 AM »

epic bruh moment

I guess Cao can redraft with funding input from us or something?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

Nay
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »

Nay
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022, 08:02:31 PM »

I think this is fully salvageable if we pass it and Cao just vetoes and redrafts with a funding amount. No need to go through the whole process again because this is a very good bill with a hole we forgot to fix
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2022, 09:19:08 PM »

Nay
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 05:12:54 AM »

Switching to Aye
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 02:25:26 PM »

I think this is fully salvageable if we pass it and Cao just vetoes and redrafts with a funding amount. No need to go through the whole process again because this is a very good bill with a hole we forgot to fix
Yeah, I'll be sure to resubmit immediately, easy fix.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 10:17:45 AM »

and Cao just vetoes and redrafts with a funding amount

Quote from: The bill in question
VI. Funding

A total, to be determined by the Senate and amended into this section,

weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 04:37:44 PM »

and Cao just vetoes and redrafts with a funding amount

Quote from: The bill in question
VI. Funding

A total, to be determined by the Senate and amended into this section,

Yes, I know, but that’s not exactly a rigid guideline, we could still approve whatever you put in there.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »

aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »

WB is right on Cao being able to veto/redraft, but it is a terrible way to have to run a railroad.

Abstain

WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2022, 12:37:35 AM »

Aye
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast