Should Private Jets be banned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Private Jets be banned?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Should Private Jets be banned?  (Read 1535 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 10:31:27 PM »

This is utterly economically illiterate and would actually serve to lower our ability to fight climate change, due to reduced economic efficiency.

Do you really think CFOs having to take business class airlines would ne that much of a bottleneck on the economy lol?
Yes, it does make the economy more efficient for a business executive to be able to have their own way to travel regardless of typical airplane schedules. The time of business executives is very precious and them being able to use it efficiently, to their own specifications, is important for the wider economy to generate the tax revenue we need to fight climate change the most effectively.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 11:25:37 PM »

This is utterly economically illiterate and would actually serve to lower our ability to fight climate change, due to reduced economic efficiency.

Do you really think CFOs having to take business class airlines would ne that much of a bottleneck on the economy lol?
Yes, it does make the economy more efficient for a business executive to be able to have their own way to travel regardless of typical airplane schedules. The time of business executives is very precious and them being able to use it efficiently, to their own specifications, is important for the wider economy to generate the tax revenue we need to fight climate change the most effectively.

I actually saw this video some years ago and it influenced my perspective.
In general, I firmly hold to the idea that general tax revenues ought to be tended to in a climate change approach and if we don't have the money, climate action will have to come at the direct expense of social spending if it is to receive the attention it deserves. There's a reason that, for instance, the Trudeau government in Canada has not gone hardline anti-pipeline, despite their introduction of a carbon tax. Development of our economies and global solutions are what we need, not economic illiteracy.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 04:39:26 AM »

Environmental destruction is far more real than "growth" and "efficiency" ever have been or ever will be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 05:27:15 AM »

Yes, of course.

Imagine actually thinking like that. Neoliberal brain poison is a hell of a drug.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 06:55:43 AM »

Environmental destruction is far more real than "growth" and "efficiency" ever have been or ever will be.

So banning private jets is the way to go? You don't want to do something like a carbon pricing scheme that would raise revenue and fight climate change?

Leftists don't like solutions that would be most beneficial, this is just an idea that allows for more virtue signalling by banning businesses from using efficient travel.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 07:16:22 AM »

If anything, the video made me even less favourable to private jets. The video is demonstrating why an individual company might be inclined to shell out for a jet despite its high cost (especially when all your competitors are getting them) but isn't really about the broader effects private jets have had on the economy or overall productivity. Tbh the arguement "banning things are bad because banning things are bad" is a lot more credible as a point, though I'm not a libertarian so I obviously don't care about it.

I tend to agree (like Tim) that a focus on opposing pipelines would be a bad idea, because the effects of a marked decline in oil supply would have huge downstream effects on society. But these are just expensive toys, who cares
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 07:25:36 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2022, 08:37:53 AM by parochial boy »

The responses in here are enlightening really. Because they agree that we need to reduce carbon emissions, but apparently the way we are going to achieve this is by magic. Or at least through technological developments that are decades away from being realistic, as if this an issue we can just keep punting into the future and the carbon we are emitting now isn't an issue.

At any rate, the argument about the things being that useful economically. Well, from the start it is coming from the deeply ideological and increasingly discredited line of thought that the most efficient way to run an economy is to reduce the intervention of the state to an absolute minimum. As if there aren't negative costs and externalities to private jet use from the outset. As if there isn't an opportunity cost and that money might be spent more usefully elsewhere. And even here, even if you were to believe that (and remember, most CEO's don't actually fly private jets), the actual benefit to the things would be so marginal that they could never hope to even compensate the damage they are causing.

As for "I don't believe in banning things". Let's be honest, there are plenty of things that you believe in banning. Unless you think fly tipping should be allowed? Flying around in a private jet is just the billionaire's equivalent.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2022, 09:46:09 AM »

If anything, the video made me even less favourable to private jets. The video is demonstrating why an individual company might be inclined to shell out for a jet despite its high cost (especially when all your competitors are getting them) but isn't really about the broader effects private jets have had on the economy or overall productivity. Tbh the arguement "banning things are bad because banning things are bad" is a lot more credible as a point, though I'm not a libertarian so I obviously don't care about it.

I tend to agree (like Tim) that a focus on opposing pipelines would be a bad idea, because the effects of a marked decline in oil supply would have huge downstream effects on society. But these are just expensive toys, who cares

I am not against scrutiny towards private jets, because they are not truly necessary in many instances and cases and the counterweight to them being used as status symbols is them being looked down upon - that is healthy on balance. The trend for them being used for purely individual reasons more and more constitutes a dilution of their purpose and a (somewhat) troubling trend.

But a ban goes way too far and I'm much more concerned with over-regulation, than whatever harms you might argue private jets presently do. And there's not been a single truly good counter thus far to a specific point I've raised - emissions are going to be increase massively from the Third World, so why is the focus on private jets? Again, people severely underestimate how much will be added by this alone. Imo, there is a considerable need for us to work with Third World countries to make it feasible and economical for them to increase their development without increasing their emissions at too rapid a pace, in a way they are fine with. To give them the means to have alternatives...

And whatever emissions private jets produce, how much in % terms of emissions are they  actually? Is it any more than, what, 5 percent at most? Yes, there should be scrutiny, but it should, presently, remain just that...scrutiny.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2022, 10:59:57 PM »

For people who want to ban them, what exactly are the parameters?  What makes a jet "private"?        Is it ownership?   Ridership?    Size/design?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2022, 02:01:04 AM »

I’d be glad if just a little bit of the precious time of business executives was wasted standing in lines at the airport. Maybe just maybe they’d appreciate normal people a little bit more and factor that into their decision making.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »

why do you all think they would fly regular 'cause you banned private jets?  There would still be private, ya know, non-jet planes.  Unless you want to ban those too....somehow?  Explain yourselves!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies