A thread for random and miscellaneous musings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  A thread for random and miscellaneous musings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: A thread for random and miscellaneous musings  (Read 6380 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2022, 06:08:22 PM »

In trying Coca-Cola's Dreamworld flavor, it's vastly superior to their last weird, concept-based flavor of "Starlight," which was one of the most repulsive sodas I have ever tried in all my years as a novelty soda connoisseur.

Not much of a pop drinker, at least, I try not to be, but but Starlight > Dreamworld.

Obviously I disagree, but I'm curious what you thought both tasted like.

Dreamworld tasted like some sort of tropical fruit. Either mango or pineapple, I'm not entirely sure.

And Starlight tasted like s'mores. usually I love s'mores flavored things, but it translates atrociously to a cola based soft drink.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2022, 09:35:48 PM »

In trying Coca-Cola's Dreamworld flavor, it's vastly superior to their last weird, concept-based flavor of "Starlight," which was one of the most repulsive sodas I have ever tried in all my years as a novelty soda connoisseur.

Not much of a pop drinker, at least, I try not to be, but but Starlight > Dreamworld.

Dreamworld tasted like some sort of tropical fruit. Either mango or pineapple, I'm not entirely sure.

And Starlight tasted like s'mores. usually I love s'mores flavored things, but it translates atrociously to a cola based soft drink.

I'm not particularly good at describing tastes with words. Maybe you descriptions sound somewhat correct?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2022, 09:36:34 PM »

I tried to join the Nonconformist Club, but I just couldn't fit in.

Does that make you awesome or a loser? This is one for the philosophers, methinks.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2022, 01:17:31 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 07:14:30 PM by MarkD »

Does that make you awesome or a loser? This is one for the philosophers, methinks.

It just makes me a comedian. This thread asks us for our "musings," and I have always thought that the above comment was amusing.
When I first thought that joke up, a few decades ago, I based the joke on the running gag that I saw appearing in several editions of the school newspaper at UM-St. Louis. The gags would say things such as, "The Nonconformist Club will meet next Tuesday at 7pm in room 75 of the J.C. Penny Building. Or maybe it won't." I thought gags like that were funny, so I made up a joke of my own about the Nonconformist Club, and when I told my joke to other people, it always made them laugh.

So laugh.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »

FTR I’m justified in not caring ab elections I can’t vote in because my Commonwealth is objectively speaking the center of the psephological universe.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »

Gomez Davila may be a forum meme, but it turns out he has a lot of interesting things to say, and his aphorisms aren't the bog-standard ones that a thousand people have said a thousand different ways.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2022, 12:24:23 PM »

Gomez Davila may be a forum meme, but it turns out he has a lot of interesting things to say, and his aphorisms aren't the bog-standard ones that a thousand people have said a thousand different ways.

Yes, but he never left his room, so any observation he could have on life is suspect.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2022, 01:33:22 PM »

Reject modernity (cola), embrace tradition (root beer)
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2022, 01:47:43 PM »

Stewart's Cream Soda supremacy
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2022, 01:58:35 PM »

One of the proudest calling cards of my youthful Jersey Shore vacations.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2022, 02:41:12 PM »

Yes, but he never left his room, so any observation he could have on life is suspect.

GOMEZ DAVILA: The "ivory tower" has a bad reputation only among the inhabitants of intellectual hovels. 😁
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »

It just makes me a comedian. This thread asks us for our "musings," and I have always thought that the above comment was amusing.
When I first thought that joke up, a few decades ago, I based the joke on the running gag that I saw appearing in several editions of the school newspaper at UM-St. Louis. The gags would say things such as, "The Nonconformist Club will meet next Tuesday at 7pm in room 75 of the J.C. Penny Building. Or maybe it won't." I thought gags like that were funny, so I made up a joke of my own about the Nonconformist Club, and when I told my joke to other people, it always made them laugh.

So laugh.

It was funny, yeah. I chuckled at it. Was just trying to be philosophical / witty in my response, with mediocre results.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2022, 03:58:28 PM »

A&W (burger restaurant in Canada) had a reputation for their root beer, and in fact now sells it totally separate from their restaurant. Coca Cola distributes it in Canada. Anyways, when I was a young kid in the 1990's, A&W offered a root beer milkshake on their menu. That's something to try if you ever get your hands on a time machine.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2022, 05:38:17 PM »

Did any of you try Dr. Pepper cream soda? It was pretty common to find earlier in the year, and was possibly the best new soda I've tried in awhile, but I think they discontinued it-I think it was only a limited time thing. And that's a shame because it was so f***ing good.

Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2022, 12:34:44 AM »

A week ago, I was in a bank lobby, and one of the customers--clearly a retiree--was complaining about how long the line was taking, and it was clear that he intentionally did it loud enough for the harried teller to hear.

Does anyone think one of the major coming splits in society is going to be between people who work for a living and people who USED TO work for a living?  

Because any time I'm around retirees, it seems like they not only can't relate to the modern workplace, but they've also romanticized how superhuman their own exploits as workers were.  Like they do more in a typical day to earn their Social Security than the average contributor to society does to earn their wages.

EDIT:  This doesn't apply to my work life personally.  I don't have a lot of client contact, and my clients tend to be other professionals.

Seems to me like typical Boomer egotism. It'll get worse before it gets better, but they'll all be dead eventually.

Of course, probably by that time a new generation a lot like them will be on its way. You can't win.
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »

Slimey56 waiting for the Charm City Circulator Route to take him back from the Os game to his car parked in Charles Village (2022 colorized). Will provide further details in my Camden Yards ballpark review.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2022, 08:10:12 PM »

I like how the French national anthem is about slitting your enemies throats, killing their wives and children, and watering your fields with their blood, and then they have a military marching song of "I like onion because it tastes good".
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2022, 08:22:44 PM »

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF EXTREMELY STUPID MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT VIRIGNIA POSTED EVERYWHERE ONLINE.

I MADE THE MISTAKE OF BROWSING TWITTER.

Hampton roads a GOP strong hold? give me a break.

JCF would have won in a landslide? wtf... she would have lost.

oh and my favorite I saw yesterday: Virginia is a plain state with no interesting geography.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2022, 11:04:20 PM »

I remember when I first took the road to Owlshead, Maine. On a map, it’s a pretty straight shot down south from Route 1, but once you’re in the thick of the woods, and the signs to the left get dimmer and fewer, and there’s no longer any kind of highway, really, only a path that feels more like going uphill (in my case), then dropping into the Atlantic (again, in my case). If I was a more seasoned outdoorsman by now, I might have known better, but that’s what came to mind when I saw that road sign for Owlshead at the last red light. As I slowed to make the turn and see if there was a campsite nearby (there was not), I knew with absolute certainty that I was about to get a crash course on the meaning of life.

At age 19, if I didn’t find a job, I was bound to wind up on Owlshead with only the clothes on my back. The first week or so was bearable enough, though I didn’t have much to offer anyone, and I certainly didn’t have any money. Most residents, even the transient ones, knew someone — or even better, everyone — who had a job to go to. It was as if everyone took me in like a lost kid, and fed me, and talked to me about how I should probably get a goddamn job. But I wasn’t one to sit about doing nothing in the woods, was I? Well, that’s all just a bit irrelevant — and besides, being young and free in a remote outpost of the United States of America was a lot more than I had ever expected!

And so I lived — I camped, I cooked, and I foraged for food and sustenance, most of it wild plants. I had no choice, I ate everything that was in season. If I was hungry, I went to the gas station in town and asked for a snack for free. Eventually, the word started spreading: in a town surrounded by water, people don’t often have the means to do much in the winter, and I soon became a little known phenomenon in the community. People began sending back home their fresh vegetables, their dried fruit, their smoked meats. Once I started doing this, I had a ready market for my harvest, and I was able to stay well fed without having to ask for anything. Eventually, I even got into some local foodie magazines, which I suppose made me appear more like a real grown-up.
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2022, 11:28:46 PM »

Requiem for a Dream did more to steer me away from narcotics and greenies than the D.A.R.E. program ever could've hoped to.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2022, 07:47:54 AM »

With this post I now am up to 6666 posts.

Using the 26 letters on a telephone you can convert any word to a number.
You can use the zero as a space and the ones and zeros to make binary* numbers.

66 = on or no
6666 =____ can you make a word? (6 = m or n or o)

how about 8430663?
(using the letters of 843 and 663.. (8430663 = 843 663)

You can't convert every number to a word however, so it only works one way.

*because those two numbers have no letter associated with them.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »

-most Clergy
-Creepypasta enjoyers over the age of majority

leave me alone.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2022, 09:01:27 PM »

cosmetic surgery is just yassified taxidermy for alive things
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2022, 12:08:44 PM »

I like how the French national anthem is about slitting your enemies throats, killing their wives and children, and watering your fields with their blood, and then they have a military marching song of "I like onion because it tastes good".

This is not exact - the French national anthem says that the enemies are coming to slit the throats of your/our wives and children.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2022, 12:24:37 PM »

Slimey56 waiting for the Charm City Circulator Route to take him back from the Os game to his car parked in Charles Village (2022 colorized). Will provide further details in my Camden Yards ballpark review.

In the early '60s, the Phillies outfield had both John Wesley Callison and John Wesley Covington. A little bit down route 1, Baltimore had John Wesley Powell in the outfield.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies