Percentage of the European population who believe in the existence of the hell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Percentage of the European population who believe in the existence of the hell
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Percentage of the European population who believe in the existence of the hell  (Read 2255 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »

This map shows the % of people in which European country who believe in the hell
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/wnbwhr/percentage_of_the_european_population_who_believe/

Portugal: 26.1%
Spain: 25.0%
France: 23.5%
Germany: 15.7%
Italy: 38.0%
UK: 23.9%
Switzerland: 16.9%
Austria: 22.9%
Netherlands: 12.9%
Denmark: 9.4%
Norway: 14.2%
Sweden: 12.3%
Finland: 14.5%
Greece: 44.3%
Poland: 53.4%
Ukraine: 39.9%
Russia: 36.8%

The origin of the word "hell" is the "hel" of the nordic pagans, which was only the place of the death, not a place of punishment, like the Christians think. The English language used the former nordic word to describe the Christian hell, instead of using the latin word "infernum".
Even though, the nordic countries are the ones who have the lowest % of people who believe in hell.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 08:54:22 AM »

Surprised this isn’t higher given the number of Europeans who must transit through Stansted airport at least once in the year.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »

Unsurprisingly Eastern Europe is substantially higher than Western or Northern Europe. Outside the scope of this topic, but what I have found the weirdest on this question is how few Latin Americans believe in Hell.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »

Poles are the smartest then.

I wonder what percentage of people around the world believe that everyone goes to hell (or suffers in some form of eternal torment, whether created by extradimensional demons or just as part of the nature of life and death itself) after death.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 09:59:28 PM »

Unsurprisingly Eastern Europe is substantially higher than Western or Northern Europe. Outside the scope of this topic, but what I have found the weirdest on this question is how few Latin Americans believe in Hell.

Anecdotally I've noticed that an "only heaven and purgatory" setup of folk Catholic afterlife beliefs seems fairly common among Hispanic people I've known personally.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 10:18:30 PM »

Dating a Polish woman, can confirm (has nothing to do with hell though)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 05:49:15 PM »

Hell is uncomfortable to believe in because it runs so afoul of human sensibilities.  I often find myself wishing Hell weren't real and having a hard time fathoming it, but that's due to my sinful nature as a human to begin with.  And, that discomfort with Hell and inability to wrap my brain around it is exactly why it's so important to share the Gospel with others!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 07:55:38 PM »

And, that discomfort with Hell and inability to wrap my brain around it is exactly why it's so important to share the Gospel with others!

I've never quite understood this particular argument for the great commission, unless the person it's coming from doesn't have the concept of invincible ignorance in their theology.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 08:32:51 PM »

And, that discomfort with Hell and inability to wrap my brain around it is exactly why it's so important to share the Gospel with others!

I've never quite understood this particular argument for the great commission, unless the person it's coming from doesn't have the concept of invincible ignorance in their theology.

I don't think I explained myself very well in the other post.  I was saying that the fact that I wish Hell weren't real because it's so horrible to try to comprehend means that it's of eternal importance to share with people the way to avoid it.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »

I don't think I explained myself very well in the other post.  I was saying that the fact that I wish Hell weren't real because it's so horrible to try to comprehend means that it's of eternal importance to share with people the way to avoid it.

Do you think Anne Frank went to hell?

I mean condemning people to an eternity of awful seems counter to Jesus's message.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 09:51:27 PM »

I mean condemning people to an eternity of awful seems counter to Jesus's message.

I'm consistently never going to say that any individual person is in Hell because God can Save anyone at any point, and that includes deathbed conversions.  God is perfectly Just, even when we can't understand Him, but I like to believe that someone like her accepted Christ before passing away.  One of the things I will always wonder this side of Heaven is how common deathbed Salvations are (it wouldn't shock me if it's common, but we need to evangelize as if it's not).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 05:56:43 PM »

This map shows the % of people in which European country who believe in the hell
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/wnbwhr/percentage_of_the_european_population_who_believe/

The origin of the word "hell" is the "hel" of the nordic pagans, which was only the place of the death, not a place of punishment, like the Christians think. The English language used the former nordic word to describe the Christian hell, instead of using the latin word "infernum".
Even though, the nordic countries are the ones who have the lowest % of people who believe in hell.

The US "wins" with 62%.

I have related the story before, but in 1975 a buddy of mine went to the 3 million book strong University of Michigan library to read up on what hell was like. The most recent book on the subject was published in 1906, the year my Dad was born. So among the intellectual class, hell lost its star power more than a century ago. Apparently at least 62% of Americans are not among the intelligentsia.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 06:14:14 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2022, 08:41:00 AM by Georg Ebner »

Hell is uncomfortable to believe in because it runs so afoul of human sensibilities.
You have not had a look at Your surRounding, have You?!
"We are not in hell - as long as we do not have to live in a world entirely created by engineers." "The hell is the place, where all the intentions of mankind are fullfilled." "The modern world turns more and more into a copy of hell out of plastic." "The hell does not seem go be such a terrible punishment since we have had a short look at the daily-life of our neighbours." (GOMEZ DAVILA)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 06:39:26 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 06:45:38 PM by Skill and Chance »

Greece is interesting.  Between this and about the lowest rate of childbirth outside of marriage in free Europe, the culture there is considerably more traditionalist than I assumed.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 07:37:10 PM »

Greece is interesting.  Between this and about the lowest rate of childbirth outside of marriage in free Europe, the culture there is considerably more traditionalist than I assumed.

An Orthotrad party is the 5th largest in the Greek parliament.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 02:51:33 AM »

Wow.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 05:02:34 PM »

Greece is interesting.  Between this and about the lowest rate of childbirth outside of marriage in free Europe, the culture there is considerably more traditionalist than I assumed.

Wow.

To be fair it's mostly because the party was massively bankrolled by Russia and the far right vote had to go somewhere after Golden Dawn collapsed when all their leaders were arrested.
diptheriadan

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 06:12:38 PM »

Anecdotally I've noticed that an "only heaven and purgatory" setup of folk Catholic afterlife beliefs seems fairly common among Hispanic people I've known personally.

"Purgatory. A little detour on the way to paradise. You take your mortal sins and multiply them by 50, then you add all your venal sins and multiple that by 25. I figure i'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven, but 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. It's like a couple of days down here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 09:07:07 PM »

"Purgatory. A little detour on the way to paradise. You take your mortal sins and multiply them by 50, then you add all your venal sins and multiple that by 25. I figure i'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven, but 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. It's like a couple of days down here.

I could do that standin' on my head!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »

An estimated 5% of Greeks also belong to Old Calendarist schismatic jurisdictions that protest the Church of Greece's adoption of the Revised Julian Calendar.

My impression is that Greece has a major divide between traditionalists and modernists. It has statistics like those where it performs strongly in metrics of traditional adherence, but then it also has the highest rate of acceptance of homosexuality of any Orthodox country. With that said I am not too familiar with the particulars of the socio-religious situation in Greece.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 02:41:04 PM »

I'm consistently never going to say that any individual person is in Hell because God can Save anyone at any point, and that includes deathbed conversions.  God is perfectly Just, even when we can't understand Him, but I like to believe that someone like her accepted Christ before passing away.  One of the things I will always wonder this side of Heaven is how common deathbed Salvations are (it wouldn't shock me if it's common, but we need to evangelize as if it's not).
Why the hell would a kind and loving god design the world so that people will suffer for an eternity in hell unless they worship him?
Isaak
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 03:04:10 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2022, 10:57:03 PM by Actual Necromancer Joe Manchin »

I don't think I explained myself very well in the other post.  I was saying that the fact that I wish Hell weren't real because it's so horrible to try to comprehend means that it's of eternal importance to share with people the way to avoid it.

Who knows?

This is why the Roman Catholic Church has never taught that a particular individual is in hell. (And some notable theologians – Hans Urs von Balthasar to name only one – have expressed their hope that the hell may be empty in the end.) Nevertheless, the teaching of the Church regarding the existence of hell and its eternality is more than clear:

Quote from: Catechism of the Catholic Church
1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

Absolutely not. Instead, interpreting the Christian message as "Do whatever you want, you will be saved anyway" is what runs counter to it. Jesus himself explains what will happen to those who reject him and his teachings:

Quote from: Mt 25,41
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Quote from: Mt 25,46
“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 05:25:08 PM »

In Spain it is Infierno.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »

Why the hell would a kind and loving god design the world so that people will suffer for an eternity in hell unless they worship him?

They never have a good answer for this because there isn't one. All they'll give is a copout "we aren't meant to understand him" or a roundabout way of saying "actually you do deserve it, heretic".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies