What do you think of the following as a broad-scope cultural map of the US, by county?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:26:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What do you think of the following as a broad-scope cultural map of the US, by county?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What do you think of the following as a broad-scope cultural map of the US, by county?  (Read 1446 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »

I really like the OP map, and I say that now as one who has a pretty granular up close and personal view of the NE. To mess with it has about as much merit as touching up the Mona Lisa to correct some "errors" of the artist.  Angel
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 11:08:54 PM »

Amusing discussions about the Southernness/Midwesterness of New Jersey aside, I would probably keep the Northeast region simple and put all of the Philadelphia CSA, Lancaster County, the Harrisburg-York-Lebanon CSA, and NEPA in the Northeast.

The Interior West feels like a weird mishmash of states but I guess that's an inherent issue with this five-region model. I can't claim any particular knowledge of the region, but to me the 100th meridian seems like a more natural border in TX and OK.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »

Actually my biggest hot take about this map is that there's not really a good argument for making the interior west and pacific coast separate regions. Basically every constituency which exists in Colorado exists in, say, Oregon as well, just in different proportions and with a different topography.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 05:24:50 PM »

Actually my biggest hot take about this map is that there's not really a good argument for making the interior west and pacific coast separate regions. Basically every constituency which exists in Colorado exists in, say, Oregon as well, just in different proportions and with a different topography.

Yeah, but what's in between doesn't fit at all.  If we're allowing exclaves, I would definitely make Denver and mountain resort Colorado an exclave of the Pacific Coast.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 09:27:28 PM »

Yeah, but what's in between doesn't fit at all.

I actually strongly beg to differ! Rural Idaho is really not very different from rural WA or rural OR or even the relatively small rural areas of CA. Missoula isn't much different from Olympia or Corvallis. The Mormon belt is certainly a bit distinct but there are above-average numbers of Mormons even in say, the PNW. It's all very much of a piece, and nearly every city has an obvious correlation somewhere else.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »

I've decided I'm no longer going to give any attention to ridiculous "cultural maps" that southernize Missouri or slice Kansas City (or in the case of the one at the start of this thread, clumsily try and fail to avoid slicing Kansas City).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2022, 10:23:37 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2022, 11:00:39 AM by Sol »

Missouri isn't a southern state on net imo but tbh most of its land area is. Most of the state south of the major cities, plus the Missouri Valley in between, is fairly southern in historical patterns. It's very much a judgment call.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:50 PM »

Missouri isn't a southern state on net imo but tbh most of it's land area is. Most of the state south of the major cities, plus the Missouri Valley in between, is fairly southern in historical patterns. It's very much a judgment call.

The two genders: Little Dixie (Missouri) vs Little Dixie (Oklahoma)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies