Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:31:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head  (Read 2851 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 17, 2022, 09:48:16 AM »

Her baby suffers from acrania—an untreatable, fatal condition—but Louisiana's abortion ban only allows exceptions if the mother's life is in danger.

Not true.  Gov. Edwards signed Senate Bull 342 in June.

Today, Gov. John Bel Edwards announced that he has signed Senate Bill 342 by Sen. Katrina Jackson, which is relative to the application of Louisiana’s abortion statutes.  While this legislation is similar to that passed in 2006, which is effective upon Roe V. Wade being overturned, Senate Bill 342 would expand the exceptions contained in the 2006 legislation to include instances of medical futility and ectopic pregnancies. Further, this bill will confirm what is unclear in the 2006 legislation, which is that emergency contraception is available under Senate Bill 342 for victims of rape and incest prior to when a pregnancy can be clinically diagnosed. 
https://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/newsroom/detail/3727

Here's the text on the medical futility exception:
(vi) The removal of an unborn child who is deemed to be medically futile. The diagnosis shall be a medical judgment certified by two qualified physicians and recorded in the woman's medical record. The medical procedure shall be performed in a licensed ambulatory surgical center or hospital. Upon the completion of the procedure, the physician shall submit an individual abortion report consistent with R.S. 40:1061.21 that includes appropriate evidence of the certified diagnosis.
https://legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?i=242567
https://legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1289698

For some reason the hospital thinks this doesn't apply in this case, I'd be interested to know why.   I expect the Louisiana Dept of Health will attempt a clarification on the applicability of the law to this condition.

From the article: "Earlier this month, the Louisiana Department of Health released a list of medical conditions that would make a pregnancy “medically futile” and clear the way for a pregnant person to get an abortion. At the time, medical professionals criticized the list as incomplete."

Right, they also said the list was not exhaustive. The judgement from two physicians applies in cases where there is a condition not listed.

And you don't think the vagueness of the law is going to make doctors and hospitals just "err on the side of caution" and refuse to do the abortion? Why would a hospital or doctor make themselves the target of the Right-Wing Legal Industrial Complex that would descend like a flight of valkyries at the mere possibility of an illegal abortion?

Clearly some doctors and hospitals are erring on the side of caution to what appears to be a very large degree, but in all these articles we never get any statement from them or their lawyers explaining their decision and what part of the law they feel constrains them.  Seems like that would be pretty important to know, though  I suppose maybe HIPAA gets in the way of that.

Hey, just potentially possibly violate the law and all you have to worry about is whether or not your local politically elected da is going to indict you and cost you a year of your life and tens of thousands of dollars in legal bills and unspeakable levels of stress as to whether or not you're going to see your family again! Oh, and if 12 jurors agree with that elected da you go away for years."

Why on Earth would doctors have anything to fear from Anti-abortion fanatics Fanatics Fanatics like yourselves and the idiot laws they produce?

A life has been saved! Shua gives Grace to God in the highest!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »

You are habitually a contrarian of the highest order incapable of making a valid point due to blinding obscutionarianism.

This post is your apotheosis.

" don't worry ma'am, the child you are being forced to give birth to is only partially headless! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy"

Stop posting until you're able to be markedly less silly and unserious.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 05:59:32 PM »

Could Conservatives please explain why the life of the mother is less important than a deformed fetus with no chance of survival that will die within hours?
Could you explain where it is you got the idea that anyone has this position?

I really don’t want that to happen, but I do view it as the lesser evil than killing it outright.

That isn't remotely the same thing.

How

How is it the same?

Because those are the words that he said. Can you read?

Yes, I can read.  I can also distinguish between two distinct sets of words with completely different meanings.

Apparently not.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 06:15:17 PM »

An innocent soul born into a deformed body with zero viability does not need to made to suffer to comply with Christian teaching. In fact, if the suffering can be prevented, it is only moral to do so.

Actually, all souls ought to comply with Christian teacher.

I'm a christian, but as an American also respects the first amendment, I happily tell you to pound salt.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 09:31:42 PM »

An innocent soul born into a deformed body with zero viability does not need to made to suffer to comply with Christian teaching. In fact, if the suffering can be prevented, it is only moral to do so.

I'm a christian, but as an American also respects the first amendment, I happily tell you to pound salt.

The Catholic Second Vatican Council’s document on Religious Freedom, Digntias Humanae rejects Religous compulsion.

And frankly, so do most of the established churches. Anglican, Orthodox,

Absolutely true on both points. But the religious orthodox types such as the Reckoning certainly don't respect those views. And frankly, too much of the Catholic hierarchy considers Vatican to something of a bad dream they're hoping to wake up from.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »

I’m not about to tell everyone they ought to be legally obligated to follow my religion- that would be awful. But Santander said some people aren’t morally obligated to follow the teachings of Christ, and that’s completely incorrect.

So not only are you a Nazi, you are illiterate.

It’s really unfortunate that term “Nazi” has been so incredibly cheapened by its frivolous use by people like you, when there is literally no one more evil in politics than a Nazi. And given all the evil that goes around in politics, that means a lot.

Says the guy who posted Adolf Hitler in his signature. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies