Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:41:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Louisiana woman forced to give birth to baby with no head  (Read 2820 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2022, 06:15:17 PM »

An innocent soul born into a deformed body with zero viability does not need to made to suffer to comply with Christian teaching. In fact, if the suffering can be prevented, it is only moral to do so.

Actually, all souls ought to comply with Christian teacher.

I'm a christian, but as an American also respects the first amendment, I happily tell you to pound salt.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2022, 09:01:14 PM »

An innocent soul born into a deformed body with zero viability does not need to made to suffer to comply with Christian teaching. In fact, if the suffering can be prevented, it is only moral to do so.

I'm a christian, but as an American also respects the first amendment, I happily tell you to pound salt.

I’m not about to tell everyone they ought to be legally obligated to follow my religion- that would be awful. But Santander said some people aren’t morally obligated to follow the teachings of Christ, and that’s completely incorrect.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2022, 09:15:12 PM »

Don’t you go saying that separation of church and state is a liberal freemasonic heresy now.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2022, 09:21:16 PM »

I’m not about to tell everyone they ought to be legally obligated to follow my religion- that would be awful. But Santander said some people aren’t morally obligated to follow the teachings of Christ, and that’s completely incorrect.

So not only are you a Nazi, you are illiterate.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2022, 09:28:30 PM »

It’s really unfortunate that term “Nazi” has been so incredibly cheapened by its frivolous use by people like you, when there is literally no one more evil in politics than a Nazi. And given all the evil that goes around in politics, that means a lot.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2022, 09:30:48 PM »

The Catholic Second Vatican Council’s document on Religious Freedom, Digntias Humanae rejects Religous compulsion.

And frankly, so do most of the established churches. Anglican, Orthodox,
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2022, 09:31:25 PM »

It’s really unfortunate that term “Nazi” has been so incredibly cheapened by its frivolous use by people like you, when there is literally no one more evil in politics than a Nazi. And given all the evil that goes around in politics, that means a lot.
Obviously "Nazi" means "right winger I don't like". Duh.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2022, 09:31:42 PM »

The Catholic Second Vatican Council’s document on Religious Freedom, Digntias Humanae rejects Religous compulsion.

Absolutely true on both points. But the religious orthodox types such as the Reckoning certainly don't respect those views. And frankly, too much of the Catholic hierarchy considers Vatican to something of a bad dream they're hoping to wake up from.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »

Says the guy who posted Adolf Hitler in his signature. Roll Eyes
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2022, 09:37:03 PM »

Absolutely true on both points. But the religious orthodox types such as the Reckoning certainly don't respect those views. And frankly, too much of the Catholic hierarchy considers Vatican to something of a bad dream they're hoping to wake up from.

Most of the catholic hierarchy in the US, and some in Europe.

South America, Africa, Asia, and the rest of the World are quite happy with Pope Francis.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2022, 09:41:13 PM »

When is the last time I unironically called someone but you or SirWoodbury Nazis? I call you a Nazi because you've established a track record of defending Nazis.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2022, 09:46:46 PM »

Why ? As a fellow Christian, why should someone be compelled to follow ? Wouldn’t that go against the very idea of evangelism ? Unless, you want a theocracy.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2022, 12:17:18 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2022, 12:20:33 AM by BlueSwan »

So, TheReckoning is just some troll who happens to think he's edgy, huh?
Unfortunately, he probably isn't. He's probably fairly representative of the fundamentalist religious right in the US, which is indeed why we are seeing these insanely inhumane rulings, where no consideration is given to human suffering and all that matters is strict adherence to religious doctrine. Unless, of course, religious doctrine is violated by their own, then it is perfectly alright, exemplified by their undying devotion to Donald Trump.

While I'm sure some of these people are infact motivated by the idea that you must never kill any sort of human life at any stage, their stances on other issues regarding human life STRONGLY suggests that this is really about something else, namely punishing women for the deadly sin of having sex. Much like religious fundamentalists in other parts of the world.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2022, 01:43:19 AM »

When is the last time I unironically called someone but you or SirWoodbury Nazis? I call you a Nazi because you've established a track record of defending Nazis.

The only times I ever “defended” a Nazi was when I said that I opposed imprisonment of 95 year olds who worked for the Nazi regime as a teenager. That is not due to any sympathy with Nazi ideology or Nazi Germany, but rather because there I do not view it as important to use important state resources on people who pose no threat to others.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2022, 02:16:39 AM »

"You don't have to join my religion- you only have to follow all the tenets, laws, and points of it"
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2022, 02:18:04 AM »

"You don't have to join my religion- you only have to follow all the tenets, laws, and points of it"

I do believe “killing innocent people is not okay” isn’t too much to ask for.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2022, 02:42:06 AM »

I think the reason I hate pro-life people more than I hate most other people is because they're too damn dumb to comprehend that there "you're killing babies!" line simply does not resonate anyone outside of fat church ladies. Most political groups have this problem but it's been so many years of endless whining about how we're killing babies. Can't you see that this isn't getting anywhere? Find new words please.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2022, 02:48:00 AM »

I think the reason I hate pro-life people more than I hate most other people is because they're too damn dumb to comprehend that there "you're killing babies!" line simply does not resonate anyone outside of fat church ladies. Most political groups have this problem but it's been so many years of endless whining about how we're killing babies. Can't you see that this isn't getting anywhere? Find new words please.

It's also that most of them aren't consistent. Forcing women to have a baby? Yes. Help the woman take care of it? Pass lol.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2022, 02:56:51 AM »

It's also that most of them aren't consistent. Forcing women to have a baby? Yes. Help the woman take care of it? Pass lol.

I don't even care about that any more. I expect nothing intelligent or consistent to come out of the mouths of anyone discussing politics. I just want to hear different stuff instead of 25 more years of "you're killing babies."
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2022, 09:53:16 AM by NYDem »

The only times I ever “defended” a Nazi was when I said that I opposed imprisonment of 95 year olds who worked for the Nazi regime as a teenager. That is not due to any sympathy with Nazi ideology or Nazi Germany, but rather because there I do not view it as important to use important state resources on people who pose no threat to others.

Sorry, but you don’t get to handwave that away. For people who don’t remember the original thread: The man TheReckoning defended didn’t “work for the Nazi regime as a teenager”, he volunteered for the Waffen SS and guarded a concentration camp as an adult.

The fact that you ever tried to defend him (and apparently still do) is disgusting. He had no right to live in this country and should consider himself lucky that he isn’t spending the rest of his life behind bars.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2022, 09:53:09 AM »

It is a lot to ask for when we don't believe that abortion constitutes 'killing'.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2022, 09:53:37 AM »

The moral culpability in cases like the one listed is not black and white.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »

Pro-abortion lefties: "You can't point to the barbarity of late term-abortions as an argument against abortion because it happens in such a small proportion of cases."

Also Pro-abortion lefties: "Here's every fringe case ever conceived as a cover to support the broad-based 'freedom' to terminate a pregnancy for any reason"

This case is awful and terribly sad. Obviously if death of the infant is inevitable anyway, terminating the life to prevent further suffering would be a just decision. That is wholly different than abortions in the vast majority of other cases, where death of the infant is not an inevitability. It's disingenuous to hide behind cases like this, if you would have also been fine for the infant's death, no matter the reason that the woman had.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »

Pro-abortion lefties: "You can't point to the barbarity of late term-abortions as an argument against abortion because it happens in such a small proportion of cases."

Also Pro-abortion lefties: "Here's every fringe case ever conceived as a cover to support the broad-based 'freedom' to terminate a pregnancy for any reason"

This case is awful and terribly sad. Obviously if death of the infant is inevitable anyway, terminating the life to prevent further suffering would be a just decision. That is wholly different than abortions in the vast majority of other cases, where death of the infant is not an inevitability. It's disingenuous to hide behind cases like this, if you would have also been fine for the infant's death, no matter the reason that the woman had.

Who's "hiding behind a case like this?" We're simply reporting on an ongoing story that is the direct result of anti-abortion policy. This is hardcore projection if I've ever heard it.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2022, 02:59:33 PM »

Who's "hiding behind a case like this?" We're simply reporting on an ongoing story that is the direct result of anti-abortion policy. This is hardcore projection if I've ever heard it.

Don't see how it's projection given my opposition to abortion in both early and late stages. What exactly am I hiding behind?
More importantly, it very much is disingenuous to use cases like this as a way to argue against abortion bans, more broadly, just as it would be disingenuous to act as if all abortions were equivalent to late-term abortions, given their rarity. For a large portion of the left, the standard position is abortion at any time for any reason. So to use, definitionally, fringe cases as the spearhead of the argument against abortion bans is dishonest and a way to deflect from the broader truth regarding the nature of abortion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies