Opinion of Iran?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:46:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Iran?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
FC

HC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Opinion of Iran?  (Read 1884 times)
vitoNova
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2022, 08:44:52 PM »
« edited: August 14, 2022, 08:48:35 PM by swamp rat »

Largely indifferent.  

As an aside, my college had many members of the Persian diaspora, whose parents settled in VA/DMV/Nova.  

Probably the most fiery leftists I have ever encountered.   Their chicks are hot, too.

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 09:21:08 PM »

Largely indifferent.  

As an aside, my college had many members of the Persian diaspora, whose parents settled in VA/DMV/Nova.  

Probably the most fiery leftists I have ever encountered.   Their chicks are hot, too.

Yeah. Iranian American women are very hot, probably the most attractive women IMO. They seem to prefer men with Iranian, Lebanese, Shi’a Arab, Greek, African American, Italian, Hispanic, Portuguese, Irish, Russia, Romanian, Native American, Scottish and German heritage at least according to the ones I am friendly with. Iranian American women seem to date and marry Catholic men a lot for some reason as well.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 09:26:28 PM »

Largely indifferent.  

Yeah. Iranian American women are very hot, probably the most attractive women IMO. They seem to prefer men with Iranian, Lebanese, Shi’a Arab, Greek, African American, Italian, Hispanic, Portuguese, Irish, Russia, Romanian, Native American, Scottish and German heritage at least according to the ones I am friendly with. Iranian American women seem to date and marry Catholic men a lot for some reason as well.

Yup.

They don't f*** around with white boys, despite my alma mater being 99% white.  
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 09:45:12 PM »

The country has a rich culture and fantastic history, the regime of course, is extremely evil.

I second that,

but its evilness is a bit overstated. It still is evil but not to the extent some want us to believe.

No it's not. Do you not believe they are anti-Semitic either?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 09:48:40 PM »

Largely indifferent.  

Yup.

They don't f*** around with white boys, despite my alma mater being 99% white.  
Unfortunately you are right. I was into an Iranian American woman friend of mine for many years, but I’d didn’t work out and she ended up marrying an Italian American Shi’a convert born way back in in 1984. Despite not being religious, she was brainwashed by her future husband to become aligned with the Iranian Revolutionary Guard neoconservative faction and with the most extreme Iranian clerics like Ebrahim Raisi, Ahmad Khatami, and Ahmad Jannati.

I do have some of those heritages listed in my earlier post in my ancestry, so maybe I could slip through the cracks with dating an Iranian American woman if I highlighted those heritages. If you have some of the listed heritages, maybe you could theoretically get with an Iranian American woman as well. I would say the best ones to look for are ones born before 1985 and after 1995 or ones whose parents came to the US prior to 1983. The Iranian American women in those categories are more westernized and thus more willing to date outside of their ethnic group at least according to what I have observed.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2022, 02:13:24 AM »

The country has a rich culture and fantastic history, the regime of course, is extremely evil.

I second that,

but its evilness is a bit overstated. It still is evil but not to the extent some want us to believe.

The Iranian government is Anti-Israël, indeed. But they probably have a good reason for doing so, if you inform yourself about modern Israel history.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2022, 03:12:01 AM »

I second that,

The Iranian government is Anti-Israël, indeed. But they probably have a good reason for doing so, if you inform yourself about modern Israel history.

I said anti-Semitic, not anti-Israel. The fact that you can't differentiate is why I can't wear my Star of David necklace in Europe outside of Scandinavia.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2022, 03:21:51 AM »

I second that,

I said anti-Semitic, not anti-Israel. The fact that you can't differentiate is why I can't wear my Star of David necklace in Europe outside of Scandinavia.

You have no right to be this insulting, whatsoever.

What I exactly do is MAKE the distinction. You are the one who fail to make the distinction.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2022, 03:35:33 AM »

I second that,

You have no right to be this insulting, whatsoever.

What I exactly do is MAKE the distinction. You are the one who fail to make the distinction.

Iran is anti-Semitic. You automatically said anti-Israel. Iran is both.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2022, 07:48:37 AM »

I mean it isn't exactly by accident that it's a lot easier to find Persian Jews in Israel or Los Angeles than in actual Iran these days is it. I wish people wouldn't downplay things like this. These were ancient, impossibly ancient in this case, communities.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2022, 08:16:23 AM by Laki »

That can all very well be the case, but it isn't like there are efforts from our side to make peace with Iran or almost any other country with opposite beliefs to ours. We are very much: "our way or the highway"-spirited, which causes nations like these to naturally gravitate towards the other side. It isn't like the Shah did great things for Iran either, he was more popular outside of Iran than inside of it.

Stuff like Trump blowing up the Iran deal and undoing promises reaffirm that the western world cannot be trusted for politicians and even people like this. And most people here disapprove of what Trump did, but let's be honest, if Clinton or Biden blew the deal, most would've supported it here. In fact, Biden hasn't done anything to undo what Trump did to Iran, and there are lots of people who are definitely eager to start a conflict with Iran, and that in my view is not a good thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2022, 08:13:55 AM »

No one, certainly not me, is defending the Shah. I'm just not a massive fan of regimes who treat their population like dirt, hang homosexuals from cranes, engage in imperial adventures abroad even as its people struggle to get by and bait lunatics to stab writers.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 08:19:48 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2022, 08:23:03 AM by Laki »

No one, certainly not me, is defending the Shah. I'm just not a massive fan of regimes who treat their population like dirt, hang homosexuals from cranes, engage in imperial adventures abroad even as its people struggle to get by and bait lunatics to stab writers.

I have edited my post, and added the second part in my latest post (just to inform you about it)

I have never said i'm a fan of Iran, and in fact, i think from our perspective, even mine, the Shah was still a better person than the regime in power today, but we have no power over it, and eventually will have to live with this, and when it comes to Iran, the majority of the western world willingly supports an objectively evil nation (not evil people, but evil regime, just like i have nothing against Iranians, but I do have issues with the Irani government), either ignoring the reality or more likely being misled by western propaganda or wrong guilt feelings dating back from the WW2.

In fact, one can say the antisemitists in Europe have won, because the majority of the Jewish diaspora is gone to different lands. An antisemite can very well be a pro-zionist because it means they don't have to live with them.

And we still haven't become more tolerant, because of all the hate muslims get today in Europe. The story itself is repeating again, but with a different group of people today. And it's the same in India, Japan and USA, not something unique to Europe. And I think we wouldn't be exactly welcome either in a lot of Arab nations too.

We have a long way to go to truly be peaceful and diverse in mind.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 08:25:45 AM »

In fact, one can say the antisemitists in Europe have won, because the majority of the Jewish diaspora is gone to different lands.

No, they were murdered.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2022, 08:27:28 AM »

In fact, one can say the antisemitists in Europe have won, because the majority of the Jewish diaspora is gone to different lands.

No, they were murdered.

As well but I didn't want to remind people of that horrible fact. But what I meant is that from the ones that were fortunate to survive, the majority has left to lands outside of what one can consider Europe, basically even colonizing a piece of land for the western world, because we said they can.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2022, 08:39:01 AM »

My neighbours are Iranian Americans and their 19yo daughter is not hot.

She is kind of stupid.

And her wealthy Dad is an Architect. His wife is a nice woman but she does not love her husband.

My mechanic is Iranian.

My hairdresser was Iranian, but now trying an Iraqi one. Not as good. He cut me with a razor on his first slice.

My seamstress is Iranian. She is CUTE. You can crack Borat sexy jokes with her and she loses it.

Overall Iran has a deep tradition and proud history of being Persian. It's a crime that their country does not function on the macro scale.

The Iranian doctor in Fremantle just got done for methamphetamine. I have been going to him for 12 years. Sometimes you think you know people, but you don't. I find out after all this time that he is a doctor.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »

I mean it isn't exactly by accident that it's a lot easier to find Persian Jews in Israel or Los Angeles than in actual Iran these days is it. I wish people wouldn't downplay things like this. These were ancient, impossibly ancient in this case, communities.
Like 30-40% of Iranian Jews hide their ancestry for social climbing reasons and write down Muslim on the census. Same with other religious minorities.

Downtown Shiraz is 1/4 Jewish.

Also the Shah was not socially liberal. He had the same beliefs as Franco.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2022, 02:50:55 PM »

You could say the same about Jews from dozens of other countries.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 03:52:14 PM »

Like 30-40% of Iranian Jews hide their ancestry for social climbing reasons and write down Muslim on the census. Same with other religious minorities.

Hidlstorically Iran was even majority zoroastrian which were prosecutes by muslims at the time.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 04:19:38 PM »

Hidlstorically Iran was even majority zoroastrian which were prosecutes by muslims at the time.
Zoroastrians are mainly based in Yazd, and are probably like 1/4th larger than what is officially claimed.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2022, 04:08:04 AM »

A highly civilised and utterly fascinating country that has had the misfortune to be ruled for so long by a gang of ultra-reactionary lunatic murderers who hate everything about the country that has made it so great and for so very, very long.

And one of the sadder and most infuriating aspects of this is that the country's current rulers co-opted a much broader popular uprising against the previous reactionary authoritarian regime as their own -- after murdering all of their rivals in that uprising, of course. I suppose this is an all-too common story in regard to revolutions.

The Shah was intensely modernizing Iran before he was overthrown. Calling him “reactionary” is unfair- in fact, many people thought that his modernizing efforts were too intense which is why there was such strong backlash, and how the revolutionaries managed to rise up and cause the current state of Iran- as revolutionaries tend to do.
Iran under the Shah seemed to be similar to the US circa 1975 in social rights, but similar to Nazi Germany or medieval Europe in terms of political freedoms.

That's probably right, to some a "benevolent dictatorship" or as we say in dutch: "een verlichte despoot", translated in "an enlightened despote" i think
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2022, 07:30:23 AM »

The pre-1979 regime in Iran was *incredibly* bad in almost all respects, and anyone who tries to say otherwise is not to be trusted. There are good reasons why the Revolution had the support of maybe 75-80% (if not more) of the population initially.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »

You could say the same about Jews from dozens of other countries.

Yes you’re getting it about global anti semitism although your tone could be a bit different

How about

You could say the same about Jews from dozens of other countries!!!!!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2022, 10:47:35 AM »

I hate the current government, but to say Iran didn’t grow exponentially without the Shah and the old system of aristocratic nobles dragging the country to hell isn’t good governance.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »

I hate the current government, but to say Iran didn’t grow exponentially without the Shah and the old system of aristocratic nobles dragging the country to hell isn’t good governance.

Well that’s what sanctions lead to you. On other indicators like HDI, Hospitals, life expectancy, literacy, and real employment—given that most stats made during the Shah are bull••••—Iran has improved tremendously. Even human rights have improved; the current regime is much more accepting of different ethnicities, labor rights are much better, and freedom of speech is much better outside of Communist and Atheist propagation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies