Most Democrat and Republican city in each state with description
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:37:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most Democrat and Republican city in each state with description
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most Democrat and Republican city in each state with description  (Read 2654 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2022, 01:36:43 AM »

Kinda surprised San Rafael isn't in the top 5 D, given how Marin often defeats San Francisco for most Democratic in the state now...kinda bizarre to think about given how it used to be one of the biggest Republican strongholds....a bit like the Vermont to SF/Alameda's MA/RI  I s'pose.

It's not that big. And, IIRC - until 2011 it had Republican mayor...
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 09:22:28 AM »

It's very alienating and masculine-nerd-compartmentalizing Atlas Brain how folks here are only viewing these places as a collection of statistics relevant to #trends rather than engaging with their geography or history or economy or sociopolitical culture. Gee, I wonder why Butte is Dem-leaning despite being Muh Unwashed Uneducated WWC (no, it has nothing to do with Montana Tech, you dingus)...

I didn't bother asking why they're Democrats or attempt to answer that quesiton. Feel free to do so if you feel like it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 10:23:09 AM »

Georgia (Including CDPs):

Tarrytown - 97.1-2.9 (33-1-0) - 77/sq mi
Panthersville - 95.2-4.2 (4724-208-28) - 3064/sq mi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrytown,_Georgia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthersville,_Georgia
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 05:11:09 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2022, 05:24:51 PM by CentristRepublican »

It's very alienating and masculine-nerd-compartmentalizing Atlas Brain how folks here are only viewing these places as a collection of statistics relevant to #trends rather than engaging with their geography or history or economy or sociopolitical culture. Gee, I wonder why Butte is Dem-leaning despite being Muh Unwashed Uneducated WWC (no, it has nothing to do with Montana Tech, you dingus)...

I’m sorry I couldn’t provide some detailed microanalysis of why CA’s cities voted the way they do. It literally took hours to even figure out the bluest and reddest and their Census data, and I am no expert about most of CA. So instead of wasting time and acting like I know a lot about places I don’t, I just provided some stats I thought were relevant. If you or anybody else knows more about these cities and would like to share, please, go ahead and share your expertise. My goal was mainly to just find the bluest and reddest cities, not to do some deep-dive analysis about the voters’ physiologies or the cities’ histories. If you think you are up to figuring out the bluest/reddest cities  and then writing the microanalysis you’re demanding, please go ahead. I notice you haven’t done it yourself, but are attacking others who at least took the time to do part of it. No, no I did not write a microanalysis - I only figured out the bluest and reddest cities and then added some stats. Sorry if that’s insufficient for you. You think you can give a microanalysis about them - I’m under no illusions that I can - you can go ahead and do that instead of attacking others for not doing it. Sorry for not “engaging with their geography.” If it has “nothing to do with Montana Tech” or a place’s income and demographics, why don’t you go ahead and tell us exactly why all these cities vote the way they do instead of condescending to others who’ve put in effort and actually done at least some of the work involved.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 05:15:55 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2022, 05:25:59 PM by CentristRepublican »

I didn't bother asking why they're Democrats or attempt to answer that quesiton. Feel free to do so if you feel like it.

This. I only really wanted to find out what those cities were, not do some deep analysis that explained its history and why the voters vote the way they do or whatnot. I don’t know a massive amount about them. Disco might, so if they want to do the deep analysis, they can. But it’s arrogant to assume everybody should be held to that same standard and write an article about each of the cities. Finding em was hard enough, and it’s honestly what I was interested in, not writing some long analysis about it when I honestly am no expert on them. Somebody else (maybe Disco) can supplement what I wrote with some deep analysis. I haven’t written one, and nor did I know that it was apparently required.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 02:47:45 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 02:52:08 AM by Buehler-Kotek Voter 🇺🇦 »

Oregon (using 10k as the benchmark for a 'city' - they're more so towns at this point)

Most Democratic

1. Ashland (Biden+73) - a bite-sized town near the California border. Home of Southern Oregon University and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Ashland's kind of what you would get if you moved a slice of downtown PDX to Jackson County. Hippie, resort town-esque vibes.

2. Portland (Biden+70.5) - needs no explanation. While Biden gets a ridiculous 95% of the vote in some precincts just east of the river, more suburban areas east of I-205 in the city limits dilute his numbers enough to bump Portland below Ashland.

3. Corvallis (Biden+60.5) - home of OSU, seems to be a fairly typical college town.

4. Cedar Mill (Biden+51.4) - a small (18k), affulent, overwhelmingly residential western suburb of Portland. Has an elevated Asian population (22%) - spillover from majority-minority Bethany to the north. Is the white, hyperliberal suburb emblematic of the Portland metro area. Neighbors (e.g. West Haven-Sylvan, Garden Home) are even bluer but fall short of the population threshold.

5. Eugene (Biden+50.5) - Oregon's second-largest city, home of UO. Like Portland, slightly more expansive urban boundaries dilute Democratic strength here - particularly areas to the north and west of more suburban character.

Most Republican

1. Baker City (Trump+45.6) - the smallest (just over 10k) and most Republican of the major small towns lining Interstate 84 as it winds east from Portland to Boise. While Democrats come close to cresting 40% in fellow Eastern Oregon towns Pendleton, La Grande, and Ontario (with some WWC latent D strength, Eastern Oregon University, and elevated minority populations respectively) , they have no strength in 87% white Baker City, which is nearly indistinguishable from the rest of the county on precinct maps.

2. Altamont (Trump+42.3) - a suburb - well, more of a partner town (considering they both house roughly 20k people) - of Klamath Falls, the sole population center in Southern Oregon east of the cascades. Oregon Tech, a small university, has its primary campus in the area (anchoring the small swingy area of the county), and Crater Lake is nearby, but Altamont votes nearly as GOP as its neighboring suburbs.

3. Prineville (Trump+42.2) - a small, rural town of 11,000, and the chair of Crook County. Located about an hour away from Bend, Redmond, and the fast-growing US 97 corridor, Prineville has shared some of the region's population growth but is not liberalizing comparatively.

4. Central Point (Trump+28.6) - a deep-red suburb of Medford. Votes in line with crimson Southern Oregon rather than relatively blue southern Jackson County - Douglas County (home of notoriously red Roseburg), Josephine and northern Jackson is by far the reddest part of the state west of the Rockies.

5. Hermiston (Trump+24.5) - Majority-minority Hermiston rounds out this list. Known for watermelons, the region is home to a lot of (I assume) Hispanic farmworkers, but still votes solidly Republican. Hermiston has just under 20k people.

X. Medford (Trump+4) - while far from the most Republican city in the state, it is the most Republican city of size (>50k). It is also the only city of size to vote for Trump two years ago, with Albany (primary city of GOP bastion Linn County) flipping blue in 2020.

Also, if you're looking for the absolute most Republican census-designated place in the state, regardless of population, there's 100% Republican Juntura - home of 39 people, 34 of which voted Trump.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 11:42:46 AM »

Top Five Democratic - New Jersey

• D + 90.4 - East Orange, Essex County (Population 69,612) - Working class supermajority black suburban city. 2% White, 11% Hispanic, 84% Black, 2% Asian. Has a median household income of $51k, with 20% of residents over 25 having at least a bachelor's degree.
  • D + 89.7 - Irvington, Essex County (Population 61,176) - Has very similar demographics to the nearby East Orange. 2% White, 9% Hispanic, 87% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $44k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 21%.
  • D + 79.8 - Plainfield, Essex County (Population 54,546) - Working class majority Hispanic suburban city that also has a sizable black population.. 9% White, 50% Hispanic, 39% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $58k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 21%.
  • D + 79.1 - Camden, Camden County (Population 71,791) - Majority Hispanic post-industrial city in South Jersey. 6% White, 51% Hispanic, 43% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $29k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 10%.
  • D + 76.9 - Trenton, Mercer County (Population 90,871) - State Capital. 14% White, 37% Hispanic, 49% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI $37k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 14%.

Top Five Republican - New Jersey

• R + 65 - Lakewood, Ocean County (Population 135,158) - City near the Jersey Shore that has a large Orthodox Jewish population. Swung heavily right since 2016 -- was Trump + 49 then. 85% White, 11% Hispanic, 3% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $52k and a Bachelor's+ rate. Is growing rapidly (grew by 54% in the 2000s and by 45% in the 2010s. Has a population density of over 5,000 people per square mile.
  • R + 24.7 - Jackson Township, Ocean County (Population 58,544) - Borders Lakewood to its west. Has a much lower, though still significant Orthodox Jewish community. Grew rapidly throughout almost all of the past century, though the 2010s were the only decade it did not experience at least 10% growth in the past century. 79% White, 12% Hispanic, 5% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $99k and a 36% Bachelor's+ rate
  • R + 24.1 - Brick Township, Ocean County (Population 73,620) - Another Jersey Shore town that borders Lakewood to its east. 82% White, 10% Hispanic, 4% Black, 2% Asian.  Went from Trump + 33.4 in 2016 to Trump + 24.1 in 2020, trending to the left of the nation. Has an MHI of $81k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 31%.
  • R + 23.5 - Toms River, Ocean County (Population 95,438) - NYC suburb. Went from Trump + 9.4 in 2016 to + 3.1 in 2020. 81% White, 9% Hispanic, 4% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $79k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 33%. Swung left from 2016 (was Trump + 31.9 then).
  • R + 17.1 - Howell, Monmouth County (Population 53,537) -  NYC suburb and the one town on this list that is not in Ocean County. 77% White, 13% Hispanic, 4% Black, 5% Asian. Has an MHI of $110k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 42%. Swung left from 2016 (was Trump + 24.2 then).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 01:41:37 PM by RI »

Set a population limit of 10k.

Top Five Democratic - Washington

• D + 79.4 - Seattle, King County (Population 738,095) - The Emerald City needs no introduction. Long a bastion of labor activism, counterculture, environmentalism, LGBT culture, and tech innovation, Seattle attracts progressives from across the country, young and old alike, and high-skill immigrants from around the world. The city has a massive wealth divide between downscale renters, disproportionately younger and less white, and wealthy homeowners determined to keep their share of the pie. Both factions are highly educated and agree on one thing above all: the word "Republican" is a slur citywide. Seattle has seen large population growth, becoming increasingly diverse over the past two decades, standing at 59% White, 21% Asian, 9% Black, and 8% Hispanic, although that growth has stopped since the pandemic.
  • D + 72.5 - Vashon Island, King County (Population 11,061) - Accessible only by ferry and other watercraft, Vashon Island sits at the crossroads of Seattle, Tacoma, and Bremerton, simultaneously a commuter suburb and natural retreat. The island once hosted large strawberry farms, orchards, and vineyards-- many run by Japanese-Americans until their mass relocation during World War II-- but has since moved away from all but small organic farms toward small shops, especially local arts and crafts. Like most ferry-dependent communities, Vashon is highly reliant on both government funding and tourism, including eco-tourism. The island's crunchy granola character can be seen in its very low vaccination rates prior to COVID, among the lowest in the country.  84% White, 6% Hispanic, 4% Asian. Population has grown a bit as commuters have been forced further out from Seattle and Tacoma, but still seen as somewhat disconnected from the rest of the mainland.
  • D + 70.7 - Port Townsend, Jefferson County (Population 10,154) - A Bohemian port city once thought destined to be the fulcrum of the Puget Sound region, Port Townsend attracted substantial investment and build-up in the late 1800s. The Panic of 1893 crashed the local economy and ended hopes of extending rail lines from the east Puget Sound, but not before large numbers of Victorian houses were constructed, houses which-- unique among the region-- survived the crash. The economy of the city turned to shipbuilding and paper mills, creating a strong labor presence in the city, which has never been particularly wealthy. Port Townsend's unique combination of natural beauty, relative isolation, and old world architecture attracted artists, rebels, activists, former hippies, and tourists throughout the decades, building the perfect recipe for a progressive stronghold. 86% White, 4% Hispanic, 3% Asian, 3% Native. Population has remained relatively stagnant over recent decades.
  • D + 70.2 - Bainbridge Island, Kitsap County (Population 24,830) - Wealthy ferry suburb of Seattle, although with a single bridge to the rest of Kitsap County. Birthplace of pickleball, Washington's state sport. One of the few municipalities in Washington where gay marriage ran ahead of Obama. 84% White, 7% Asian, 5% Hispanic. Solid population growth in the last decade.
  • D + 64.2 - Lake Forest Park, King County (Population 13,634) - Leafy inner Seattle suburb at the north end of Lake Washington bordering Snohomish County. Almost entirely older, larger single family homes amid preserved green space with little commercial or multifamily presence. Primarily commuters to Seattle or the Eastside. 72% White, 16% Asian, 5% Hispanic. Restrictive zoning has led to lower than average population growth for the area.

Top Five Republican - Washington

• R + 38.0 - Lynden, Whatcom County (Population 15,756) -  The heart of the Dutch Reformed community in the lower Fraser River Valley, Lynden is the city of windmills. One of the most religious communities in Washington, once claiming the most churches per capita and per square mile in the country. Most commercial stores still close on Sundays, and Sunday alcohol sales were prohibited until 2008. The agricultural nature of the area has led to an influx of Hispanic farmworkers; the city stands at 78% White, 12% Hispanic, and 5% Asian. Population growth in the 2010s was very high, almost 30%.
  • R + 27.5 - West Richland, Benton County (Population 16,303) - Outer suburb/exurb of the Tri-Cities, the most conservative population center in Washington. Formed in the 1940s by Manhattan Project workers who found government regulations on land ownership in Richland (run by the War Department) too restrictive. The Tri-Cities region has become a haven for retirees due to having the warmest year-round temperatures in the state and access to recreation on the Columbia River. Industry in the Tri-Cities mixes agriculture and food processing, defense contracting, manufacturing, nuclear power, and logistics/transportation. West Richland is whiter than the canonical Tri-Cities at 77% White, 14% Hispanic, and has seen robust growth over the past decade, nearly 40% since 2010.
  • R + 26.8 - Moses Lake, Grant County (Population 25,224) - The center of the largest potato-growing county in the country, Moses Lake formed in the 1940s with the construction of the Grand Coulee Dam and the Moses Lake Army Air Base. The military, who used the area to train pilots, dominated the local economy until the Columbia Basin Project provided irrigation to the region in the mid-1950s and agriculture flourished. More recently, Moses Lake has seen an influx of retirees and Hispanics for similar reasons as West Richland, but has also seen an uptick in manufacturing, especially tech components, renewable energy components, and automobiles. 54% White, 36% Hispanic, 4% Asian, 4% Native. Population growth was strong, if slightly below West Richland and Lynden at 24% in the 2010s.
  • R + 22.9 - Battle Ground, Clark County (Population 20,762) - Exurb of Vancouver (or Portland, if you prefer), Battle Ground saw huge growth in the 1990s and 2000s, with slower but still above average growth in the 2010s at 18%. Like most of Clark County, an attractive place for anti-tax Washingtonians who take advantage of the lack of income tax in Washington and the lack of sales tax in Oregon. 81% White, 9% Hispanic, 4% Asian, 3% Native.
  • R + 21.6 - Graham, Pierce County (Population 32,692) -  Quiet exurb of Tacoma in the shadow of Mount Rainier, Graham saw strong population growth throughout the 2010s at 39%. Near to Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Graham is a more affordable option for many employed there, especially after the opening of JBLM's East Gate. Relatively religious by Puget Sound standards, and reasonably diverse at 69% White, 11% Hispanic, 8% Asian, 7% Black, and 4% Native.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »

Top Five Democratic - Colorado

• D + 77.1 - Boulder, Boulder County (Population 108,250) - College town home to the University of Colorado. 79% White, 10% Hispanic, 1% Black, 6% Asian. Has a median household income of $72k, with 77% of residents over 25 having at least a bachelor's degree.
  • D + 61.4 - Denver (Population 715,522) - State's largest city and capital. 54% White, 30% Hispanic, 9% Black, 4% Asian. Has an MHI of $73k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 50%.
  • D + 38.8 - Fort Collins, Larimer County (Population 169,810) - Medium sized city home to Colorado State University. 79% White, 12% Hispanic, 2% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $71k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 56%.
  • D + 36.9 - Longmont, Boulder and Weld Counties (Population 98,885) - Medium sized city in the Front Range. 68% White, 24% Hispanic, 1% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $79k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 44%.
  • D + 30.8 - Aurora, Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas Counties (Population 386,261) - Diverse suburb that directly borders Denver. 44% White, 28% Hispanic, 17% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI $68k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 30%.

Top Five Republican - Colorado

• R + 16.4 - Castle Rock, Douglas County (Population 73,158) - Wealthy outer suburb of Denver. Swung left since 2016 (was Trump + 26.2 then). 82% White, 11% Hispanic, 1% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $114k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 50%. Is growing rapidly (had a population of 48k in 2010).
  • R + 15.4 - Grand Junction, Mesa County (Population 65,580) - Small city on the Western Slope. 79% White, 16% Hispanic, 1% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $55k and a 34% Bachelor's+ rate
  • R + 7.5 - Parker, Douglas County (Population 58,512) - Another Denver exurb. 79% White, 12% Hispanic, 2% Black, 5% Asian.  Went from Trump + 20.5 in 2016 to Trump + 7.5 in 2020, trending strongly to the left of the nation. Has an MHI of $115k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 52%.
  • R + 3.5 - Colorado Springs, El Paso County (Population 478,961) - State's second largest city and home to the Air Force Academy. Went from Trump + 16 in 2016 to Trump + 3.5 in 2020. 81% White, 9% Hispanic, 4% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $68k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 40%.
  • R + 3 - Greeley, Weld County (Population 108,795) -  Medium sized city on the Front Range. 56% White, 38% Hispanic, 3% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $58k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 25%.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2022, 08:52:42 PM »

Population cap of 10k

Top Five Democratic - Louisiana
1.  D +68.2 - New Orleans (pop. 383,997)
2.  D +64.6 - Baker (pop. 12,455)
3.  D +53.4 - Opelousas (pop. 15,786)
4.  D +39.1 - Baton Rouge (pop. 227,470)
5.  D +34.2 - Monroe (pop. 47,702)

Top Five Republican - Louisiana
1.  R +69.7 - Central (pop. 29,565)
2.  R +61.4 - Youngsville (pop. 15,929)
3.  R +58.15 - Sulphur (pop. 21,809)
4.  R +51.64 - Broussard (pop. 13,417)
5.  R +50.84 - Morgan City (pop. 11,472)

Nothing very surprising on this list.  The most Democratic cities are all majority Black.  4/5 Republican cities are bastions of the offshore workforce in South Louisiana.  The one exception is Central, which is a well-off newer exurban community in EBR (and probably the most Evangelical place in Louisiana.) 
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2022, 04:41:56 AM »

Population cap of 10k

Top Five Democratic - Louisiana
1.  D +68.2 - New Orleans (pop. 383,997)
2.  D +64.6 - Baker (pop. 12,455)
3.  D +53.4 - Opelousas (pop. 15,786)
4.  D +39.1 - Baton Rouge (pop. 227,470)
5.  D +34.2 - Monroe (pop. 47,702)

Top Five Republican - Louisiana
1.  R +69.7 - Central (pop. 29,565)
2.  R +61.4 - Youngsville (pop. 15,929)
3.  R +58.15 - Sulphur (pop. 21,809)
4.  R +51.64 - Broussard (pop. 13,417)
5.  R +50.84 - Morgan City (pop. 11,472)

Nothing very surprising on this list.  The most Democratic cities are all majority Black.  4/5 Republican cities are bastions of the offshore workforce in South Louisiana.  The one exception is Central, which is a well-off newer exurban community in EBR (and probably the most Evangelical place in Louisiana.) 

I'd probably call Youngsville and Broussard exurbs of Lafayette, and Sulphur a suburb or twin of Lake Charles, though all 3 are very petrochem industry.

I included CDPs in my post but focused on the higher-population ones. You can get some wild margins if you include CDPs down to 10k.
  • R+74.6 – Claiborne (pop. 12,631), Ouachita Parish – exurb of Monroe, just past the football-fanatic, Duck Dynasty HQ of West Monroe. Maybe the dictator margins will diminish in places like this as they become less segregated. They're up to 7% Black here, compared to West Monroe's 35% Black and R+24.7
  • R+72.4 – Bayou Blue (pop. 13,352), Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes – industrial exurb of Houma. The denser suburb of Bayou Cane (pop. 19,770) is also impressive at R+55.3
  • R+71.0 – Belle Chasse (pop. 10,579), Plaquemines Parish – industrial exurb of New Orleans and most populous community in its parish. "Beautiful hunting!" A Democratic staffer from NOLA used to snicker about this place when we were roomies in college.
  • R+62.9 – Moss Bluff (pop. 12,522), Calcasieu Parish – suburb of Lake Charles and hometown of Yahoo! cofounder David Filo.
  • D+43.2 – Gardere (pop. 13,203), East Baton Rouge Parish – plurality-Black suburb of Baton Rouge, south of LSU and next to L'Auberge Casino. Unusual for the state, it also reported more Hispanic than non-Hispanic White.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 08:32:13 PM »

Decided to randomly do New Mexico. Only 20 cities/villages/towns by my count even have 10,000 people, so decided to go with that as the benchmark - but listed all of them. Didn't bother doing any analysis since I know next to nothing about NM's regional politics. Using 2020 presidential results. In parentheses is the 2016 presidential result - most of these cities/towns/villages, as you can see, swung rightward. Only one of the cities, Deming, in the southern part of the state, flipped - it went from supporting Clinton by nearly 7 points in 2016 to backing Trump narrowly in 2020.

Santa Fe, Santa Fe County: D+63.7 (D+60.3)
Las Vegas, San Miguel County: D+46.6 (D+55.0)
Sunland Park, Dona Ana County: D+39.3 (D+56.4)
Espanola, Rio Arriba County: D+27.9 (D+39.1)
Los Alamos (County): D+26.6 (D+20.2)
Albuquerque, Bernalillo County: D+26.5 (D+19.1)
Gallup, McKinley County: D+22.3 (D+18.3)
Las Cruces, Dona Ana County: D+20.7 (D+17.0)
Deming, Luna County: R+1.5 (D+6.8 )
Rio Rancho, Sandoval County: R+1.7 (R+8.5)
Los Lunas, Valencia County: R+5.0 (R+6.8 )
Alamogordo, Otero County: R+22.7 (R+29.7)
Portales, Roosevelt County: R+28.8 (R+26.1)
Clovis, Curry County: R+34.8 (R+38.3)
Roswell, Chaves County: R+35.3 (R+31.1)
Farmington, San Juan County: R+39.1 (R+35.8 )
Carlsbad, Eddy County: R+39.9 (R+27.6)
Hobbs, Lea County: R+51.1 (R+39.8 )
Lovington, Lea County: R+58.2 (R+44.5)
Artesia, Eddy County: R+65.7 (R+60.5)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2022, 08:45:28 PM »

Making a map to see which states posters have done and which remain:

Anyone who wants to can/should do one of the blue states.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2022, 08:48:26 PM »

Making a map to see which states posters have done and which remain:

Anyone who wants to can/should do one of the blue states.
I have a draft for a post on PA
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 09:51:09 PM »

Arizona:(Population minimum of 10000)
Most Democratic:
1. Nogales: D+53.1
2. San Luis: D+51
3. Douglas: D+43.9
4. Somerton: D+39.3
5. Flagstaff: D+37.7

Most Republican:
1. Lake Havasu City: R+56.3
2. Chino Valley: R+55.8
3. Show Low: R+53.4
4. Fort Mohave: R+49.9
5. New River: R+49.5
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2022, 03:59:18 PM »

Illinois
D: Cook County
R: Belleville

Belleville is D+18.7. A lot of other Metro East suburbs are red though.

Top Five Democratic - Illinois

• D + 83.3 - Evanston, Cook County (Population 78,110) - On the lakeshore just north of Chicago, the college town of Northwestern University. 59% White, 10% Hispanic, 18% Black, 12% Asian. High income and education.
  • D + 80.3 - Oak Park, Cook County (Population 54,583) - One of the most liberal inner suburbs in the U.S., it's just west of the mostly-black Chicago neighborhood of Austin. It was the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, who designed many of the local landmarks. 62% White, 8% Hispanic, 22% Black, 7% Asian. Even higher income and educational attainment than Evanston.
  • D + 66.7 - Chicago, Cook County (Population 2,746,388) - A vast city of many neighborhoods, where only a few outlying precincts supported Trump over Biden. 35% White, 27% Hispanic, 30% Black, 8% Asian. Near national average income, with more college degrees.
  • D + 64.4 - Cicero, Cook County (Population 85,268) - To the south of the Austin neighborhood, a city with a supermajority of Mexican descent. In the past, it was more a Czech area. 6% White, 89% Hispanic, 5% Black, 7% Native American. Below national averages in income and education.
  • D + 52.0 - Waukegan, Lake County (Population 89,321) - Closer to Kenosha than Chicago, a more working-class lakeside city that was the home of Ray Bradbury and Jack Benny. 16% White, 60% Hispanic, 19% Black, 6% Asian. Below national averages in income and education.
  • Among the bluest cities below the 50k line are North Chicago, a Hispanic-plurality city south of Waukegan with a naval station, and the various majority-black suburbs south of the South Side.

Top Five Republican - Illinois

• R + 4.8 - Orland Park, Cook County (Population 58,703) - A cluster of southwestern Chicago suburbs voted Trump, but all others are smaller. 81% White, 8% Hispanic, 4% Black, 6% Asian. Above average income and education.
  • R + 0.4 - Decatur, Macon County (Population 70,522) - Near Illinois's center, it's still driven by industrial jobs with companies like ADM and Caterpillar. 63% White, 3% Hispanic, 30% Black, 2% Native. Below average income and education.
  • D + 2.7 - Tinley Park, Cook County (Population 55,971) - Now for the least Democratic cities, this suburb is adjacent to Orland Park and demographically similar. 78% White, 8% Hispanic, 7% Black, 5% Asian. Above average income and education.
  • R + 12.3 - Springfield, Sangamon County (Population 114,394) - State capital known for its Abe Lincoln connections, it is one of the less-Democratic cities by virtue of its downstate location and annexing most of its suburbs, despite the government jobs. 68% White, 3% Hispanic, 23% Black, 4% Asian. Slightly more educated, with lower household income, than the national average.
  • R + 13.9 - Oak Lawn, Cook County (Population 58,362) - also a southwest suburb, but closer to Chicago than the previous 2 mentioned. 64% White, 23% Hispanic, 9% Black, 4% Asian. Slightly above average income and education.

Bonuses
  • R + 31.7 - Quincy, Adams County (Population 39,463) - It anchors a micropolitan area with Hannibal, Missouri. About as far west as you can go in the state, its electoral trend is pointing right. 86% White, 2% Hispanic, 9% Black, 2% Native. Below national averages in income and education.
  • R + 16.4 - Pekin, Tazewell County (Population 31,731) - A county seat and suburb of Peoria, it is a former sundown town that maintains a white supermajority, like R+14.2 Granite City (a St. Louis suburb), and unlike Oak Park and Cicero mentioned in the D column. 90% White, 2% Hispanic, 3% Black, 2% Native. Below national averages in income and education.

Any idea what what this list would look like if you exclude the biggest vote netting areas for each party? So like if Chicago and it’s neighboring suburbs were excluded for D’s and if downstate working towns were excluded for R’s (maybe with a lower population threshold)?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 04:42:42 PM »

If population wasn't a factor, I might pick Arcata as most Democratic city in California over Berkeley
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »

• D + 77.1 - Boulder, Boulder County (Population 108,250) - College town home to the University of Colorado. 79% White, 10% Hispanic, 1% Black, 6% Asian. Has a median household income of $72k, with 77% of residents over 25 having at least a bachelor's degree.
  • D + 61.4 - Denver (Population 715,522) - State's largest city and capital. 54% White, 30% Hispanic, 9% Black, 4% Asian. Has an MHI of $73k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 50%.
  • D + 38.8 - Fort Collins, Larimer County (Population 169,810) - Medium sized city home to Colorado State University. 79% White, 12% Hispanic, 2% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $71k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 56%.
  • D + 36.9 - Longmont, Boulder and Weld Counties (Population 98,885) - Medium sized city in the Front Range. 68% White, 24% Hispanic, 1% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $79k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 44%.
  • D + 30.8 - Aurora, Arapahoe, Adams, and Douglas Counties (Population 386,261) - Diverse suburb that directly borders Denver. 44% White, 28% Hispanic, 17% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI $68k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 30%.

• R + 16.4 - Castle Rock, Douglas County (Population 73,158) - Wealthy outer suburb of Denver. Swung left since 2016 (was Trump + 26.2 then). 82% White, 11% Hispanic, 1% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $114k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 50%. Is growing rapidly (had a population of 48k in 2010).
  • R + 15.4 - Grand Junction, Mesa County (Population 65,580) - Small city on the Western Slope. 79% White, 16% Hispanic, 1% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $55k and a 34% Bachelor's+ rate
  • R + 7.5 - Parker, Douglas County (Population 58,512) - Another Denver exurb. 79% White, 12% Hispanic, 2% Black, 5% Asian.  Went from Trump + 20.5 in 2016 to Trump + 7.5 in 2020, trending strongly to the left of the nation. Has an MHI of $115k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 52%.
  • R + 3.5 - Colorado Springs, El Paso County (Population 478,961) - State's second largest city and home to the Air Force Academy. Went from Trump + 16 in 2016 to Trump + 3.5 in 2020. 81% White, 9% Hispanic, 4% Black, 3% Asian. Has an MHI of $68k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 40%.
  • R + 3 - Greeley, Weld County (Population 108,795) -  Medium sized city on the Front Range. 56% White, 38% Hispanic, 3% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $58k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 25%.

If Parker’s an exurb, Castle Rock is one as well imo.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »

If Parker’s an exurb, Castle Rock is one as well imo.
I was using the two phrases in a interchangeable manner
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2022, 08:48:45 PM »

Top Five Democratic - Pennsylvania

• D + 69.8 - Harrisburg, Dauphin County (Population 50,099) - Situated in the Susquehanna Valley, Harrisburg is a beacon of liberalism surrounded by mostly conservative small towns. The area is known for its Civil War history. Harrisburg is the capital of Pennsylvania. While in the past the area was home to a large industrial workforce, it is now more reliant on public sector jobs.  24% White, 24% Hispanic, 52% Black, and 3% Asian. Has a median household income of $42k, with 23% of residents over 25 having at least a bachelor's degree.
  • D + 63.3 - Philadelphia (Population 1,603,797) - State's largest city and the cornerstone of its economy. Has a great deal of history all the way from the colonial era to the present. Its economy was historically reliant on manufacturing and shipping but has become more focused on white-collar and service positions over the years. It is also home to numerous institutions of higher education including the Ivy League member University of Pennsylvania. 34% White, 15% Hispanic, 41% Black, and 7% Asian. Has an MHI of $49k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 31%.
  • D + 57.6 - Lower Merion, Montgomery County (Population 63,633) - Inner suburb of Philadelphia. Is a part of the Main Line, and is an example of a streetcar suburb. It is home to many old money sorts of families, and is ancestrally Republican, despite it currently having a strong loyalty to the Democratic Party. 79% White, 4% Hispanic, 6% Black, 8% Asian. Has an MHI of $140k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 79%.
  • D + 56.8 - Pittsburgh, Allegheny County (Population 302,971) - State's second largest city. Historically blue collar with an emphasis on steel, it is now the poster child of a successful recovery for a post-industrial city. 65% White, 3% Hispanic, 23% Black, 6% Asian. Has an MHI of $51k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 45%.
  • D + 51.8 - State College, Centre County (Population 40,501) - College town and home of Penn State University. 80% White, 4% Hispanic, 3% Black, 11% Asian. Has an MHI of $38k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 72%.

Top Five Republican - Pennsylvania

• R + 30.7 - Hempfield, Westmoreland County (Population 41,466) - Heavily white Pittsburgh exurb and an anchor of the Laurel Highlands region. Swung left since 2016 -- (was Trump + 35.9 then). 96 White, 1% Hispanic, 1% Black, 1% Asian. Has an MHI of $69k and a 33% Bachelor's+ rate.
  • R + 26.4 - Altoona, Blair County (Population 43,963) - Small post-industrial city. The economy was historically reliant on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Has swung heavily right in recent years (was just McCain + 5 in 2008).  91% White, 2% Hispanic, 4% Black, and only 0.2% Asian. Has an MHI of $42k and a 18% Bachelor's+ rate
  • D + 4 - Millcreek Township, Erie County (Population 54,131) - Located just outside of the city of Erie, and is its largest suburban town and a bellwether for the county. 91% White, 2% Hispanic, 3% Black, 2% Asian. Has an MHI of $67k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 43%.
  • D + 5.4 - Bensalem, Bucks County (Population 62,750) - Middle class Philly suburb that directly borders the city and is the largest municipality in Bucks County. 65% White, 10% Hispanic, 8% Black, 13% Asian. Has an MHI of $70k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 30%.
  • D + 8.2 - Lower Paxton, Dauphin County (Population 53,454) -  Harrisburg suburb and tends vote in line with Dauphin County as a whole. 66% White, 5% Hispanic, 18% Black, 8% Asian. Has an MHI of $74k and a Bachelor's+ rate of 38%. Fun fact: I am in this township right now as I am finishing up this post
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies