Major Party Nominees who voted for Opposite party in later election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:04:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Major Party Nominees who voted for Opposite party in later election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Major Party Nominees who voted for Opposite party in later election  (Read 2940 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »

I think other people have named all the big presidential candidates, though I wonder if John Adams, Charles Pinckney, and Rufus King voted Democratic-Republican at some point (they all lived through the collapse of the Federalist Party in the late 1810s and 1820s). Also, DeWitt Clinton was the de facto Federalist nominee in 1812, but he doesn't count as he never really left his own party.

There's a good chance Stephen A. Douglas and Martin Van Buren would have supported Lincoln in 1864 had they lived that long.

For vice presidential nominees, John Tyler endorsed Polk in 1844 and I'm guessing he probably voted Democratic thereafter. Andrew Johnson didn't endorse in 1868, but he briefly returned to the Senate as a Democrat in 1875 so it seems reasonably likely that he voted Democratic in 1868 or 1872. John C. Calhoun endorsed Whig Hugh Lawson White in 1836 after backing his own third party in 1832.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2022, 09:35:27 PM »

I think other people have named all the big presidential candidates, though I wonder if John Adams, Charles Pinckney, and Rufus King voted Democratic-Republican at some point (they all lived through the collapse of the Federalist Party in the late 1810s and 1820s). Also, DeWitt Clinton was the de facto Federalist nominee in 1812, but he doesn't count as he never really left his own party.
Adams and Quincy Adams left the Federalist Party in 1807, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they voted for Madison in 1808 and 1812.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2022, 10:08:17 PM »

Adams and Quincy Adams left the Federalist Party in 1807, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they voted for Madison in 1808 and 1812.

Yeah, I'd imagine JQA supported Democratic-Republican presidential candidates by 1812 (if not 1808), but I'm not sure if that extended to his father.
Orange is back
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2022, 05:18:50 PM »

Since McGovern voted for Ford in 1976, did he vote for Anderson in 1980?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 08:24:07 PM »

Besides Trump himself, Bob Dole is the only nominee of either party to vote for Trump.

Is this actually confirmed anywhere? It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, but I didn't think all of their votes were public knowledge.
HW Bush - Clinton
Dole - Trump
Bush 43 - left his ballot blank in 2016 and wrote in Condi Rice in 2020
McCain - wrote in Lindsey Graham
Romney - lead the Never Trump movement

Yes, he said he wrote in his wife.

Since McGovern voted for Ford in 1976, did he vote for Anderson in 1980?

He voted for Carter in 1980.  I remember him saying that during the interview in which he revealed he voted for Ford in 1976.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies