FBI impact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:17:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI impact?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will the FBI raid on Mar-A-Lago impact the midterms?
Significant boost for the GOP

Slight boost for the GOP

No Change

Slight boost for Democrats

Significant boost for Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: FBI impact?  (Read 910 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »

?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »

Not sure how it will impact midterms or one party vs the other, but this could lead to a "rally around the flag' effect for Trump over any opposition within the party/primary.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »

It won't directly impact the midterms, but it could push Trump to announce his campaign early, which would in turn benefit Democrats by making him a central theme of the elections.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 02:36:05 PM »

No change, the only voters who will remember this in two years are partisans who are already locked in to vote for their team no matter what.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 02:37:04 PM »

No change, the only voters who will remember this in two years are partisans who are already locked in to vote for their team no matter what.

Agreed, but the question was about the election 3 months from now, not 2 years from now.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »

Agreed, but the question was about the election 3 months from now, not 2 years from now.

My fault.

Still though, it's pretty much only the partisans described above that bother midterms. I'm sure as hell not voting
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 02:40:30 PM »

My fault.

Still though, it's pretty much only the partisans described above that bother midterms. I'm sure as hell not voting

Why tf aren't you voting? Are you sincerely ambivalent in the choice between Walker and Warnock or Kemp and Abrams?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 02:41:53 PM »

My fault.

Why tf aren't you voting? Are you sincerely ambivalent in the choice between Walker and Warnock or Kemp and Abrams?

I moved, just updated my avi. Don't know if I could legally vote anywhere since I'm not in a lease or anything.

Even if I was in GA though, it's not like it will come down to my one vote. Why bother?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 02:43:26 PM »

My fault.

I moved, just updated my avi. Don't know if I could legally vote anywhere since I'm not in a lease or anything.

Even if I was in GA though, it's not like it will come down to my one vote. Why bother?

If you are eligible to vote and choose not to, then you forfeit all right to complain about anything that the Republicans do.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

My fault.

If you are eligible to vote and choose not to, then you forfeit all right to complain about anything that the Republicans do.

How's that?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »

My fault.

How's that?

Because you could have contributed to stopping them and chose not to.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »

The people who will be "energized" by the FBI raid were already ardent Trump/MAGA supporters anyway. I doubt anyone who was on the fence would suddenly vote for the GOP because Trump's resort was raided by the FBI. What kind of logic is that?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »

My fault.

How's that?

If there was an actual movement to participate in then sure, that logic could apply. But contemporary politics is entirely spectacular. My individual consumer choice to vote or donate or campaign for a candidate is not going to move the needle. In that context, abstention is a legitimate political choice.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 02:54:32 PM »

The people who will be "energized" by the FBI raid were already ardent Trump/MAGA supporters anyway. I doubt anyone who was on the fence would suddenly vote for the GOP because Trump's resort was raided by the FBI. What kind of logic is that?

I’m sure you can find a few anecdotal cases of it from crazy/stupid people. But not many. Kari Lake after all was a Democrat who voted for Obama and somehow was converted by Trump of all people.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 02:54:39 PM »

My fault.

How's that?

If there was an actual movement to participate in then sure, that logic could apply. But contemporary politics is entirely spectacular. My individual consumer choice to vote or donate or campaign for a candidate is not going to move the needle. In that context, abstention is a legitimate political choice.

Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2022, 02:58:32 PM »

That's really not the gotcha that you think it is. If the Democrats want to win, they need to actually offer something to prospective voters. Campaigning on "we're not Trump, we respect norms" is going to get Democrats nowhere; I would have thought 2016 would have taught everyone that. Or hell, Trump should have lost by far more in 2020, given the COVID turmoil. But everyone knows the Democrats won't do a damn thing. There will always be some impediment to them actually governing: wayward senators, a parliamentarian, whatever. So, why vote for them?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »

That's really not the gotcha that you think it is. If the Democrats want to win, they need to actually offer something to prospective voters. Campaigning on "we're not Trump, we respect norms" is going to get Democrats nowhere; I would have thought 2016 would have taught everyone that. Or hell, Trump should have lost by far more in 2020, given the COVID turmoil. But everyone knows the Democrats won't do a damn thing. There will always be some impediment to them actually governing: wayward senators, a parliamentarian, whatever. So, why vote for them?

Personally, I think Biden has accomplished quite a bit and that America is far better off with Democrats in charge than Republicans. They run on way more than "Trump is bad," and they've delivered.

If you truly think the parties are equally bad, feel free not to vote, but then you don't get to complain if the party that wins turns out to be unequally worse than the party that loses.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »

Campaigning on "we're not Trump" really ought to count for a whole hell of a lot, because Trump is a really terrible president who does really, really bad things.  But I suppose if you aren't personally impacted by those terrible things, don't care about any of the people who are impacted, and don't really care about what Trump's doing to America, then it doesn't count for a whole lot to you personally.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 06:12:01 PM »

If "we're not Trump" is not sufficient motivation for you to vote, then you should really re-examine your priorities. It's harm reduction.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 06:43:46 PM »

If "we're not Trump" is not sufficient motivation for you to vote, then you should really re-examine your priorities. It's harm reduction.

Arguably fair enough on Atlas blog. Doesn't change the reality that most potential voters need something else.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »

Minimal to no impact. For one thing, Republicans are already galvanized to vote just by virtue of spite towards Biden and Democrats. Them having a new recent obsession doesn't somehow make their votes count twice. Additionally, I can't imagine that this will even be remembered by November 8. Republicans are very prone to going all-in on one focus and then changing that focus as soon as the next outrage arises.

I do also want to consider that if this does end up becoming a focal point of Republican candidates' campaigns that they juust can't let go of, it could aid Democrats if they capitalize on it.

While Republicans are obsessing over their poor wittle cult leader being held accountable for exactly what they wanted Hillary Clinton held accountable for, it's less that they are talking about the economy. It fits into the recent theme that's been developing for these midterms where Republicans seem more concerned about Trump and culture war distractions while Democrats are accomplishing and acknowledging actual issues that the average American actually gives a crap about, especially as economic circumstances improve. I welcome them to run on "defunding" or "destroying" the FBI while Democrats take up the mantle of the kitchen table issue campaigns.

Both sides' bases seem fired up to vote at this point, so it's still going to be those undecideds who decide this election in the end, after all and I'm not even entirely sure that those people are paying attention to this right now. And if they aren't consuming news that's biased towards Trump and only just learning about it, how the f*** does a candidate's home getting raided by the FBI make anyone who isn't already a hack more sympathetic towards them?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 07:29:55 PM »

It can both be true that 1 vote doesn't make a difference and if millions of people who believe that vote anyway it makes a difference.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 07:36:10 PM »

No impact. Maybe if it was closer to Election day, the week before or something, it would probably had a big impact as it would deviate all the attention from the campaign agenda and, who knows, sway some voters in crucial district and states to either change their votes or even abstain.

But, this far from election day, no impact. If the Access Hollywood thing had no impact on election day, this, at this stage, has no impact.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 07:40:20 PM »

I think if the conspiracy theories and anger from the GOP against the FBI really escalates that it is a problem for their candidates.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 07:41:16 PM »

It's. 303 map we already made our decision to fire Trump nothing has changed but Beasley, Ryan and Demings are exceeding expectations

We won't need an INDICTMENT to not hire Trump again in 24 that Senate map isn't kind to Rs in 24

Boost for D's

I like how users keep posting the same threads about 24 and we know it's a 303 map the Senate races in 22/24/26 all replicate the 303 blue Wall
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies