Was the FBI Raid on Mar-A-Lago politically motivated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:07:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Was the FBI Raid on Mar-A-Lago politically motivated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was the FBI Raid on Mar-A-Lago politically motivated?  (Read 984 times)
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:01:40 AM »

Did Merrick Garland receive instructions from the White House to execute a search warrant at Trump's Mar-A-Lago estate? Wouldn't such a search warrant (1.) Provoke a reaction from Trump, such as him moving up his announcement regarding his presidential intentions (2.) If Trump announces he is a candidate before the mid-terms (a.) The campaign becomes all about Trump and less about Biden or the Democrats stewardship on the ship of State. (b.) It takes pressure off Biden to make an announcement regarding his plans, absent Trump's decision or non-decision. (b.) Biden can wait out an announcement of his own, but the conventional wisdom he'll run.
If I'm Trump I'd milk the controversy for all its worth and not make any announcements until after the mid terms and just wait out Biden. If it is established that Garland and the White House were colluding regarding the raid! Then the implications hurt Biden. If I'm Trump I'd focus on a fishing expedition to see if there was White House-DOJ collusion, and if there is, bingo! Trump would be untouchable. What Trump shouldn't do, is allow himself to get baited! My suspicion is that were was collusion! But of course Garland is taking the culpable deniability route! So Biden can say he was blindsided! That's the narrative being used by CNN and the Democrats! But nobody can convince me that Biden and Ron Klain the most political of animals didn't cook up this whole thing from the word get go!
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »

No.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:41:39 AM »

Probably the wrong board
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 10:29:19 PM »

No, the FBI Director is a Republican appointed by Donald Trump, but this definitely belongs in U.S. General Discussion.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:39:05 AM »

Biden was not briefed about the raid on Mar-A-Lago before or after, according to the White House. The raid was probably approved by a Trump-appointed Republican FBI director, and the FBI could have only obtained a search warrant from a judge if they had probable cause that the site of the raid (Mar-A-Lago) had evidence of a crime. It's possible Garland knew about the raid, but I fail to see why that would matter since Garland was highly regarded among both Republicans and Democrats as a moderate with extensive federal judicial experience and was chosen by Biden as attorney general specifically because he was seen as nonpartisan. The implication that this raid is apart of some complicated scheme by Biden to take down Donald Trump is ridiculous. Is it really that hard to believe that Trump, with the little political experience he had and clear disregard for norms, possibly committed a crime?
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 01:16:21 AM »

Perhaps but I also don't care because politically motivated or not it's 100% the right thing to do. If it is politically motivated I'm delighted to see Dems actually willing to play hardball for once.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 02:32:47 AM »

Biden was not briefed about the raid on Mar-A-Lago before or after, according to the White House. The raid was probably approved by a Trump-appointed Republican FBI director, and the FBI could have only obtained a search warrant from a judge if they had probable cause that the site of the raid (Mar-A-Lago) had evidence of a crime. It's possible Garland knew about the raid, but I fail to see why that would matter since Garland was highly regarded among
both Republicans and Democrats as a moderate with extensive federal judicial experience and was chosen by Biden as attorney general specifically because he was seen as nonpartisan. The implication that this raid is apart of some complicated scheme by Biden to take down Donald Trump is ridiculous. Is it really that hard to believe that Trump, with the little political experience he had and clear disregard for norms, possibly committed a crime?
And anyone who actually believes that Biden didn't know beforehand, I've a bridge to nowhere that I could sell them! "The Biden didn't know" narrative was obviously designed by Biden and his White House aides, to inoculate him from the type of political attack that Trump is trying to launch. I think personally that the whole affair was hairbrained and literally uncalled for! Because if it is established that Biden did know while trying to have deniability! It will mean Trump becomes untouchable! As anything the Justice system has planned targeting Trump, goes down the toilet! Since everything that DOJ does regarding Trump will be viewed as politically tainted. So whether Garland believes that he's not above the law or not won't matter one iota. And Trump as you know will be in the same exact position that Biden didn't hope he would be, impregnable.  This could be for Biden what that "Ukraine phone call" was for Trump and could cause endless problems for him down the road! It should be noted that Obama once said of Joe Biden, "Don't underestimate Joe's capacity to  things up" or words to that effect. Personally the DOJ went OTT with the warrant and the whole episode has the potential to be the biggest blunder ever enacted or a big nothingburger. I have a feeling that Trump played those two prosecutors who visited Mar-A-Lago. Consider this, why did Trump's lawyer's, individuals who are employed by Trump btw, direct these prosecutors to a room containing boxes with files marked "classified". What happens when they find there's nothing classified and they were taken on a wild goose chase. The DOJ has two options then, remain mum and refuse to facilitate Trump con job on them or put their hands up, in a "Oops fashion. The latter we know they won't do. Either way they are screwed and Trump has his issue.  Anyone who hasn't considered this, forgets Trump is a habitual grifter and con artist and it is likely he baited Garland and we are where we are.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 03:25:10 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2022, 04:14:21 AM by Tortilla Soup »

Biden was not briefed about the raid on Mar-A-Lago before or after, according to the White House. The raid was probably approved by a Trump-appointed Republican FBI director, and the FBI could have only obtained a search warrant from a judge if they had probable cause that the site of the raid (Mar-A-Lago) had evidence of a crime. It's possible Garland knew about the raid, but I fail to see why that would matter since Garland was highly regarded among
both Republicans and Democrats as a moderate with extensive federal judicial experience and was chosen by Biden as attorney general specifically because he was seen as nonpartisan. The implication that this raid is apart of some complicated scheme by Biden to take down Donald Trump is ridiculous. Is it really that hard to believe that Trump, with the little political experience he had and clear disregard for norms, possibly committed a crime?
And anyone who actually believes that Biden didn't know beforehand, I've a bridge to nowhere that I could sell them! "The Biden didn't know" narrative was obviously designed by Biden and his White House aides, to inoculate him from the type of political attack that Trump is trying to launch. I think personally that the whole affair was hairbrained and literally uncalled for! Because if it is established that Biden did know while trying to have deniability! It will mean Trump becomes untouchable! As anything the Justice system has planned targeting Trump, goes down the toilet! Since everything that DOJ does regarding Trump will be viewed as politically tainted. So whether Garland believes that he's not above the law or not won't matter one iota. And Trump as you know will be in the same exact position that Biden didn't hope he would be, impregnable.  This could be for Biden what that "Ukraine phone call" was for Trump and could cause endless problems for him down the road! It should be noted that Obama once said of Joe Biden, "Don't underestimate Joe's capacity to  things up" or words to that effect. Personally the DOJ went OTT with the warrant and the whole episode has the potential to be the biggest blunder ever enacted or a big nothingburger. I have a feeling that Trump played those two prosecutors who visited Mar-A-Lago. Consider this, why did Trump's lawyer's, individuals who are employed by Trump btw, direct these prosecutors to a room containing boxes with files marked "classified". What happens when they find there's nothing classified and they were taken on a wild goose chase. The DOJ has two options then, remain mum and refuse to facilitate Trump con job on them or put their hands up, in a "Oops fashion. The latter we know they won't do. Either way they are screwed and Trump has his issue.  Anyone who hasn't considered this, forgets Trump is a habitual grifter and con artist and it is likely he baited Garland and we are where we are.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 09:04:35 AM »

And anyone who actually believes that Biden didn't know beforehand, I've a bridge to nowhere that I could sell them! "The Biden didn't know" narrative was obviously designed by Biden and his White House aides, to inoculate him from the type of political attack that Trump is trying to launch. I think personally that the whole affair was hairbrained and literally uncalled for! Because if it is established that Biden did know while trying to have deniability! It will mean Trump becomes untouchable! As anything the Justice system has planned targeting Trump, goes down the toilet! Since everything that DOJ does regarding Trump will be viewed as politically tainted. So whether Garland believes that he's not above the law or not won't matter one iota. And Trump as you know will be in the same exact position that Biden didn't hope he would be, impregnable.  This could be for Biden what that "Ukraine phone call" was for Trump and could cause endless problems for him down the road! It should be noted that Obama once said of Joe Biden, "Don't underestimate Joe's capacity to  things up" or words to that effect. Personally the DOJ went OTT with the warrant and the whole episode has the potential to be the biggest blunder ever enacted or a big nothingburger. I have a feeling that Trump played those two prosecutors who visited Mar-A-Lago. Consider this, why did Trump's lawyer's, individuals who are employed by Trump btw, direct these prosecutors to a room containing boxes with files marked "classified". What happens when they find there's nothing classified and they were taken on a wild goose chase. The DOJ has two options then, remain mum and refuse to facilitate Trump con job on them or put their hands up, in a "Oops fashion. The latter we know they won't do. Either way they are screwed and Trump has his issue.  Anyone who hasn't considered this, forgets Trump is a habitual grifter and con artist and it is likely he baited Garland and we are where we are.

Look, we get it, you and a disturbing number of people think Trump is above the law and shuld have no laws apply to him.

Unfortunately, the rest of us live in the real world, where rule of law applies. That also means that unlike Trump, Biden does not view the Department of Justice as his personal law firm.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 12:26:40 PM »

I never said he was above the law! But if the FBI screwed this thing up and it is found that Biden did in fact know in advance! The optics look terrible and Trump for better or worse is untouchable! Because considering what the chatter on right-wing media is like, it becomes almost impossible to go after Trump, no matter what we hear from Merrick Garland. The DOJ and FBI better have a smoking gun, if not, Biden and the Democrats are screwed. Personally I think the whole FBI raid smells of amateur hour. Remember, this is Trump they're dealing with! Is it not possible he baited them? and they could've been played like a cheap banjo, the way he has played his supporters? Don't dismiss the idea!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 05:17:33 PM »

I never said he was above the law! But if the FBI screwed this thing up and it is found that Biden did in fact know in advance! The optics look terrible and Trump for better or worse is untouchable! Because considering what the chatter on right-wing media is like, it becomes almost impossible to go after Trump, no matter what we hear from Merrick Garland. The DOJ and FBI better have a smoking gun, if not, Biden and the Democrats are screwed. Personally I think the whole FBI raid smells of amateur hour. Remember, this is Trump they're dealing with! Is it not possible he baited them? and they could've been played like a cheap banjo, the way he has played his supporters? Don't dismiss the idea!

Can you actually prove that Biden knew about this or are you just spouting off buzzwords?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 06:05:56 AM »

Personally I think the whole FBI raid smells of amateur hour. Remember, this is Trump they're dealing with! Is it not possible he baited them? and they could've been played like a cheap banjo, the way he has played his supporters? Don't dismiss the idea!

Trump is capable of convincing Cletus he’s looking out for his interests. He’s not capable of tricking the DOJ/FBI. Get real.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »

Not committing crimes is a good way to avoid being investigated for committing crimes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 04:10:31 PM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »

No, but the GOP's response to it is.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2022, 06:44:18 PM »

Yes, but who gives a damn
LBJer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2022, 11:29:52 AM »

Perhaps but I also don't care because politically motivated or not it's 100% the right thing to do. If it is politically motivated I'm delighted to see Dems actually willing to play hardball for once.

While it wasn't politically motivated, you make a good point here.  Being politically motivated and being the right thing to do aren't mutually exclusive.  Doing the right thing for the wrong reason is still doing the right thing (and vice-versa).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies