The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:24:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: The GOP's obsession with the "87,000 new IRS" members  (Read 2654 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2022, 10:12:07 PM »

Small businesses are the #1 provider of American jobs and wages. 

I thought that was Wal-Mart and the federal government.

If the Democrats got to write the tax code they wanted, we'd all be working for Wal-Mart/Amazon/Panera Bread and living in the pod, yes

I'd much rather work for a large corporation than a small business. Corporations suck but small business owners can be just as explorative, and with even less recourse.

That's fine.  If you take most of your income as wages, you'll end up paying a lot of taxes on it.  Small business owners who sink operating income into hiring new employees, new equipment, and expansions get to write off a lot of tax liability.  That's how it should be. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2022, 10:31:23 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.

I work for a small tax accounting firm as well

No wonder they're worried about getting audited...

Actually we aren’t

I thought your education/specialty/major was in economics.
Can I ask ...
Is this a new job for you? And what dept or area in the accounting firm, did they place you in?

No I majored in accounting and I work as a tax accountant at the firm
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2022, 10:32:07 PM »

"Small business owners" are among the last going to suffer under this employment expansion, but a great strawman for know nothings to mythically defend.

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

Most people who will suffer from audits are people who can’t afford to have their taxes done at accounting firms or top notch CPA’s.

Stop with your know nothing demagoguery. Our accountant I good, but he's just a solo practitioner with a small office who handles other genuinely small businesses.

Lol! God do elitist economic right wingers like you and DT Look clumsy and foolish whenever you try to play populist, pretending to stick up for "the little guy". Lol, you're fooling no one.

Actually we aren’t

Can I ask ...
Is this a new job for you? And what dept or area in the accounting firm, did they place you in?

Did you take any economics classes may i ask ?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2022, 10:34:37 PM »

Actually we aren’t

Can I ask ...

Did you take any economics classes may i ask ?

Principles of Microeconomics  , Principles of  Macroeconomics , Intro to Health Care Economics
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.

What about businesses that cannot afford the fees of smaller firms as well .

Please. Accounting expenses are directly proportional the size of one's business. Anything that is more than literally two guys and a Truck doing landscaping or Contracting work can and should afford the nominal expenses of an accountant to do their taxes or frankly be able to do it themselves even as a business. The same reason that any small company bothers to incorporate or form an LLC despite the nominal time and expense of doing so. What an additional straw man in the effort to reach for some coaching argument for protecting uber wealthy tax cheats who make up the broad base of the Republican donor class. Shameful and intellectually dishonest, not to mention literally immoral and illegal

A bunch of Vietnamese American stores of all kinds got busted In California last year for not properly paying taxes, because they used to only accept cash payments; to avoid credit card fees and taxes.

Sorry, am I supposed to feel bad because some small businesses intentionally violated the tax laws while other businesses, including many immigrant businesses, follow the rules?

And let's get real. The type of so-called small businesses that osr and DT thump their chest about aren't literal mom and pop organizations like my firm with less than 10 full-time employees including the owners. Or my accountant's office for that matter. They are owners of regional car dealerships and small factories that employed hundreds of people and whose owners are millionaires and the landed gentry of their small towns. Plus regular $3,000 a plate Republican fundraiser types which, when we strip away these fake populist working for the little guy BS nostrums that they so embarrassingly trip over themselves pretending to care about, that's what it really comes down to.

That's why Republicans offered an amendment to not use the funds to target those making under $400k a year with audits, and every Democrat voted against it.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:16 PM »

It wasn't too long ago when Democrats were weaponizing the IRS to specifically target Tea Party members. Now they want 87,000 more agents. As has been seen countless times, if something can be used to harass political rivals, Democrats will use it.

I've owned a small business. My first year, I foolishly thought I could do my own taxes. The problem is that the tax code, particularly for businesses, is so vague and difficult to understand that even the most well-intentioned CPA with years of experience can make a mistake, and that mistake can cost small businesses owners thousands in attorney fees alone. An audit is a brutal and expensive process. If you've never filed taxes for anything other than yourself, you know nothing about business taxes and should probably get off your soap box until you know what you're talking about.

I haven't heard that one in awhile. I'm sure you don't care, but that's been long-debunked.

Debunked by who?  CNN?  MSNBC?

Lois Lerner, btw, refused to testify before Congress on the advise of her attorney.  That happened, as did the extra attention by the IRS against certain disfavored organizations. 

Of course, Lois Lerner's refusal to testify before Congress but didn't get the Peter Navarro treatment.  She got the Eric Holder treatment.

The IRS doesn't just happen.  The Internal Revenue System works due to the VOLUNTARY compliance of taxpayers.  That's THEIR words, not mine.  Their policies are designed to encourage VOLUNTARY compliance with the Internal Revenue System because without it, tax collections would be either (A) grossly diminished or (B) conduced in a manner not conducive to a free society.

A Tax Audit is a SEARCH and a SEIZURE.  It is not something that the government is supposed to conduct because they're short on flow; there has got to be a reason for an audit.  Ordinary people ought to be concerned about this, as (A) the IRS has long been used by Presidents against their political enemies (and the Biden White House has the largest enemies list in the history of politics that extends to every Trump supporter) and (B) people who have done no wrong where there is no basis for people to think that they have done wrong will have to spend money on accountants and attorneys that they ordinarily would not have.

But if you're going to roll with this, then let's roll with the principle to it's logical conclusion.  Let's restore the units to the NYPD that conducted the Stop and Frisk operations that caused crime to drop and got guns off the street and out of the hands of criminals.  After all, if you're not holding dope or an illegal gun, what do you have to be afraid of being searched.  How about that?  It's "disproportionate" in it's effects?  How disproportionate would the effect of 87,000 new enforcement staff fall on small businesspeople, who are an extremely Republican constituency?

The sad truth is many people here view THEIR privacy differently than they do the privacy of others.  The sad truth is that many people here view THEIR Constitutional Rights differently than they do the Constutional Rights of others.  These 87,000 "agents' in the hands of THIS government will result in the unprecedented weaponization of the IRS.  Lots of people here actually want that; they've practically said it out loud.  They won't like it when it actually happens, but then it will be too late.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2022, 11:18:47 PM »

Red avatars would be similarly upset if there were going to be 87,000 new DEA or ICE agents.  

"Oh, you support this good thing? Well, what if it were a bad thing instead? Checkmate, liberal."

Having a lot more ICE and DEA agents would be a very good thing, actually. I don't know about 87,000, but fentanyl is getting into the country in quantities large enough to kill every American many times over. We are far too soft on hard drugs as it is.

I reject your slave morality in which good things are bad and bad things are good. "Oh the poor oppressed drug dealers!" Sometimes people are "oppressed" for good reason. For someone so quick to label people and things "evil", you and those who share your worldview sure do carry a lot of water for many of the worst, most evil people in society.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SelfAwarewolves/
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2022, 01:38:46 AM »

Small Businesses are likely to be targeted more against big business so unless there is a provision that limits how much they can go after small business then I’d oppose this as well

The money comes from the minimum corporate tax on billion-dollar corporations (which is bad, but that's where it comes from, not small businesses)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2022, 01:43:17 AM »

It wasn't too long ago when Democrats were weaponizing the IRS to specifically target Tea Party members. Now they want 87,000 more agents. As has been seen countless times, if something can be used to harass political rivals, Democrats will use it.

I've owned a small business. My first year, I foolishly thought I could do my own taxes. The problem is that the tax code, particularly for businesses, is so vague and difficult to understand that even the most well-intentioned CPA with years of experience can make a mistake, and that mistake can cost small businesses owners thousands in attorney fees alone. An audit is a brutal and expensive process. If you've never filed taxes for anything other than yourself, you know nothing about business taxes and should probably get off your soap box until you know what you're talking about.

I haven't heard that one in awhile. I'm sure you don't care, but that's been long-debunked.

Lois Lerner, btw, refused to testify before Congress on the advise of her attorney.  That happened, as did the extra attention by the IRS against certain disfavored organizations. 

Of course, Lois Lerner's refusal to testify before Congress but didn't get the Peter Navarro treatment.  She got the Eric Holder treatment.

The IRS doesn't just happen.  The Internal Revenue System works due to the VOLUNTARY compliance of taxpayers.  That's THEIR words, not mine.  Their policies are designed to encourage VOLUNTARY compliance with the Internal Revenue System because without it, tax collections would be either (A) grossly diminished or (B) conduced in a manner not conducive to a free society.

A Tax Audit is a SEARCH and a SEIZURE.  It is not something that the government is supposed to conduct because they're short on flow; there has got to be a reason for an audit.  Ordinary people ought to be concerned about this, as (A) the IRS has long been used by Presidents against their political enemies (and the Biden White House has the largest enemies list in the history of politics that extends to every Trump supporter) and (B) people who have done no wrong where there is no basis for people to think that they have done wrong will have to spend money on accountants and attorneys that they ordinarily would not have.

But if you're going to roll with this, then let's roll with the principle to it's logical conclusion.  Let's restore the units to the NYPD that conducted the Stop and Frisk operations that caused crime to drop and got guns off the street and out of the hands of criminals.  After all, if you're not holding dope or an illegal gun, what do you have to be afraid of being searched.  How about that?  It's "disproportionate" in it's effects?  How disproportionate would the effect of 87,000 new enforcement staff fall on small businesspeople, who are an extremely Republican constituency?

The sad truth is many people here view THEIR privacy differently than they do the privacy of others.  The sad truth is that many people here view THEIR Constitutional Rights differently than they do the Constutional Rights of others.  These 87,000 "agents' in the hands of THIS government will result in the unprecedented weaponization of the IRS.  Lots of people here actually want that; they've practically said it out loud.  They won't like it when it actually happens, but then it will be too late.

Stop. It's debunked. End of story.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2022, 01:46:44 AM »

Democrat "facts" aren't facts.
Waldo

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2022, 02:46:37 AM »

A flat tax would make the IRS and audits as they currently exist obsolete.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2022, 03:17:03 AM »

A flat tax is a wet dream for the rich and a nightmare for the lower class. The fat cats already have the game rigged for them... no need to rig it further.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2022, 03:28:14 AM »

Any intelligent, reasonable person who educates themselves about the incredible backlog facing the IRS and the widespread tax evasion the chronic understaffing of the agency has allowed to flourish among the nation's wealthy would understand why the country needs to hire tens of thousands of new agents.
Waldo

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2022, 03:33:00 AM »

A flat tax is a wet dream for the rich and a nightmare for the lower class. The fat cats already have the game rigged for them... no need to rig it further.

The tax code certainly doesn't need to be 10,000's of pages long and you shouldn't need a seven year education in order to do them properly by yourself.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2022, 04:42:10 AM »

The IRS has been systematically underfunded for several years. The reality is that the IRS are nt coming to repossess your home. They're nor the scary beaureaucrats in the movies. In reality, they're more like the most boring people you've ever met, except for the fact that they work long hours on less-than-ideal pay to enforce laws that Congress changes every time there's a new President with little to no consultation.

Republicans and conservatives love to denigrate civil servants, but the government would be incapable of functioning without them.

Well that’s what they want. They distrust the federal government that much. They want everything by to be local government. A small central government to preserve “ freedom “, and everything returned back to the local and state governments.

Republicans at the state level have been removing the decision making abilities of 'blue' cities for at least the last couple years.

They've been doing it for waaaaay longer than that. Blue cities aren't allowed to have their police departments hold gun purchase programs to get assault rifles off the street, aren't allowed to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation, etc. I remember reading about these things happening two decades ago.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2022, 04:45:10 AM »

The IRS has been systematically underfunded for several years. The reality is that the IRS are nt coming to repossess your home. They're nor the scary beaureaucrats in the movies. In reality, they're more like the most boring people you've ever met, except for the fact that they work long hours on less-than-ideal pay to enforce laws that Congress changes every time there's a new President with little to no consultation.

Republicans and conservatives love to denigrate civil servants, but the government would be incapable of functioning without them.

Well that’s what they want. They distrust the federal government that much. They want everything by to be local government. A small central government to preserve “ freedom “, and everything returned back to the local and state governments.

Republicans at the state level have been removing the decision making abilities of 'blue' cities for at least the last couple years.

They've been doing it for waaaaay longer than that. Blue cities aren't allowed to have their police departments hold gun purchase programs to get assault rifles off the street, aren't allowed to ban discrimination based on sexual orientation, etc. I remember reading about these things happening two decades ago.

I didn't know that, thanks.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2022, 05:28:22 AM »

The tax code certainly doesn't need to be 10,000's of pages long and you shouldn't need a seven year education in order to do them properly by yourself.

Then let's take on the tax preparation industry and simplify the way we file our taxes like plenty of other countries do. Just because it's complicated AF to file taxes in America doesn't need we mean to introduce a regressive policy like flat taxes. Yuck.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2022, 06:22:06 AM »

It's not debunked any more than accounts of Joe Biden's involvement with his son's foreign business deals are debunked.   They are under investigation to this day.   Lois Lerner refused to testify before Congress; that is a fact.  Amazing how those demanding transparency (to the point of advocating illegal searches and seizures) are OK with not hearing from Lois Lerner under oath. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2022, 08:31:30 AM »

It's not debunked any more than accounts of Joe Biden's involvement with his son's foreign business deals are debunked.   They are under investigation to this day.   Lois Lerner refused to testify before Congress; that is a fact.  Amazing how those demanding transparency (to the point of advocating illegal searches and seizures) are OK with not hearing from Lois Lerner under oath. 

Who’s been advocating for “illegal searches and seizures”? How so?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2022, 08:34:34 AM »

Yeah... I don't see this attack resonating with normal people

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2022, 09:43:00 AM »

Yeah... I don't see this attack resonating with normal people

TBF, most Americans literally don't pay federal income tax.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2022, 09:56:57 AM »

Speaking g as one of the relatively few actual small business owners on Atlas,  I think this is long overdue and have zero fear for my company since we follow the rules.

This is false.
There are plenty of "smaller" tax accountant establishments out there, that know small business taxation very well (probably even better than the rookies they hire at The Big Four Accounting Firms (when I was in college, it was the Big Cool.
Badger points to this also. They do so much small business (and maybe that's all they do), that they know it like the back of their hand, and probably do not charge an arm and a leg for their work.

Please. Accounting expenses are directly proportional the size of one's business. Anything that is more than literally two guys and a Truck doing landscaping or Contracting work can and should afford the nominal expenses of an accountant to do their taxes or frankly be able to do it themselves even as a business. The same reason that any small company bothers to incorporate or form an LLC despite the nominal time and expense of doing so. What an additional straw man in the effort to reach for some coaching argument for protecting uber wealthy tax cheats who make up the broad base of the Republican donor class. Shameful and intellectually dishonest, not to mention literally immoral and illegal

You guys are making false assumptions of my posts . I never said they should be allowed to get away with stuff but rather that big corporations will not be effected by this change .

So you are strawmanning my point

If big corporations have to actually worry about an audit and not playing fast and loose with their taxes, when currently an audit is nothing more than a paper tiger because the IRS is so grossly under man, then yes they will. You're power to the people pose is such a laughable piece of tribe
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2022, 09:58:09 AM »

This is false.

A bunch of Vietnamese American stores of all kinds got busted In California last year for not properly paying taxes, because they used to only accept cash payments; to avoid credit card fees and taxes.

Sorry, am I supposed to feel bad because some small businesses intentionally violated the tax laws while other businesses, including many immigrant businesses, follow the rules?

And let's get real. The type of so-called small businesses that osr and DT thump their chest about aren't literal mom and pop organizations like my firm with less than 10 full-time employees including the owners. Or my accountant's office for that matter. They are owners of regional car dealerships and small factories that employed hundreds of people and whose owners are millionaires and the landed gentry of their small towns. Plus regular $3,000 a plate Republican fundraiser types which, when we strip away these fake populist working for the little guy BS nostrums that they so embarrassingly trip over themselves pretending to care about, that's what it really comes down to.

Also wrong person to be angry at.

I was just sharing. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, I'm certainly not angry at you my friend. Certainly didn't mean to shoot the messenger.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »

This is false.

That's why Republicans offered an amendment to not use the funds to target those making under $400k a year with audits, and every Democrat voted against it.

News flash. $400,000 a year, or even half that amount, is bloody rich. I'm about as hardcore a populists you can find around here and would have happily voted against it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2022, 10:03:07 AM »

Nonsense. The difficulty with the tax code isn't calculating tax at a 20% rate up to $50,000 then 28% up to 100,000, etc. That's simple math that most 7th graders could do without a calculator. The biggest problem with the tax code is application of deductions. If you want to get rid of deductions for things such as mortgage payments up to a middle-class level, charitable giving, Etc, then that's where Simplicity takes over, intends to kick the middle class in the teeth. Not to mention the whole concept of a flat tax would shift the tax burden even more from the wealthy to the middle class.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies