Why Atlanta became the mega metro in the south? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why Atlanta became the mega metro in the south? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Atlanta became the mega metro in the south?  (Read 1019 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« on: August 09, 2022, 05:57:23 AM »

Atlanta is the overwhelmingly largest metro south of DC and east of Huston. Yet it does not enjoy major geographic advantages like New Orleans and Miami, or historical importance like Richmond. While it's ATL, instead of, say, Charlotte, Savannah, Charleston, etc, that serve as the mega metro in the south?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »

Because it's a key transportation hub.

Started as the 'Terminus' (right in the city's original name) of the Western and Atlantic Railroad, and continued to expand due to Hartsfield-Jackson, which has historically been the world's largest airline hub.
Interesting. But I guess during the time when railroad was important, there should be many other cities serving as hubs? Why ATL was the most important one?

I know ATL is one of the largest airline hub since it was the base of Delta, but that should be after ATL became a mega metro?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »

Because it's a key transportation hub.

Started as the 'Terminus' (right in the city's original name) of the Western and Atlantic Railroad, and continued to expand due to Hartsfield-Jackson, which has historically been the world's largest airline hub.
Interesting. But I guess during the time when railroad was important, there should be many other cities serving as hubs? Why ATL was the most important one?

I know ATL is one of the largest airline hub since it was the base of Delta, but that should be after ATL became a mega metro?

It had the geographic advantage. It was where the north-south railroads going from NY southwards terminated or 'turned' East-West around the Appalachians into the southern interior. Before the civil war it was a major rail hub, but this location ensured the city would rise from the ashes and become an even bigger rail hub after industry came southwards.
Thanks!

Were there any other railroad hubs in the south with similar geographic advantages to ATL? If so, why didn't they become mega metro? ATL was smaller than Savannah before 1880s, so I guess there should be some other important hubs back then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies