FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:16:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 121237 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: September 05, 2022, 06:29:59 PM »

*Yawn* I wish I could be more disappointed or surprised at this hack ruling, but I can't be after four years of Trump stacking the courts. Though really McConnell might be to blame, and yet in spite of that-something he has now, and usually has, personally benefited from-he wants to pick a fight with him? Talk about ungrateful and not worth kissing ass for!

But yes, in reality, all this does is delay the process, there is no real substantive attribute of this in Trump's favor beyond that and a moral victory. His delaying of justice always happens though, and it's just sickening to see him get rewarded with that on such flimsy arguments once again.

Again though, perhaps it's my low expectations but as long as a judgment on the case can happen by the Justice Department before the 2024 primaries begin, I'll be content. I never expected a swift closure of this most recent legal quagmire of his. And let's not forget about the many other investigations into his corrupt ass.

This country desperately needs democrats to pack/expand the Courts. We are in for rulings like this for decades if we don't. If we care about democracy, it is simply something that HAS to be done.

That's why Democrats need to keep the Senate at the barest minimum. And at the barest minimum of what they can do with it, at least allow Biden to appoint more judges and bring some semblance of balance and objectivity to the institution.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1851 on: September 05, 2022, 08:47:15 PM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1852 on: September 05, 2022, 09:10:02 PM »

DOJ can appeal this. Trump got lucky in the judge who got picked for this, which is what he was going for by filing there.

I mean, if it comes down to it, the highest court in the land is full of people who would choose a Republican dictatorship over an American democracy, regardless of the evidence or the truth.

America's only way out is through, with a DOJ indictment and seizure of the crime family's records for RICO. Failure to do so out of fear of terrorism is a surrender to the MAGA Klan terrorists.

The Trump family is like the Gambino crime family.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1853 on: September 05, 2022, 09:50:33 PM »

When an idiot appoints a moron to the Federal Bench, You get rulings like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1854 on: September 06, 2022, 07:02:14 AM »

When an idiot appoints a moron to the Federal Bench, You get rulings like this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More like when a traitor appoints a cultist.

I'm not surprised Cannon ruled in Trump's favor. I am surprised it was so blatant. She flat out admitted that her ruling is based on the "irreparable harm" of... Trump facing consequences for his crimes. A perfect example of the future Republicans want for all Americans: one set of rules everyone else has to obey, and a second set of much more permissive rules for themselves. Hopefully this only serves to slightly delay Donald the Traitor's delayed meeting with justice.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1855 on: September 06, 2022, 09:34:11 AM »

All the ruling does is delay the investigation, but I have to ask - what type of indictment does not create irreparable harm to someone's reputation? If we use that standard, we may as well never charge anyone with a crime.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1856 on: September 06, 2022, 09:43:25 AM »

All the ruling does is delay the investigation, but I have to ask - what type of indictment does not create irreparable harm to someone's reputation? If we use that standard, we may as well never charge anyone with a crime.

Twitter is full of defense attorneys gleefully rubbing their hands and looking forward to citing this ruling. What will be telling is whether we have a new broad precedent in criminal law, or whether it's a precedent limited to some subset of rich, prominent Republicans.

In a way, the ruling is a double-pronged trap for the DoJ. Failing to appeal it sets a damaging precedent for future federal prosecutions and lets Trump , his lawyers, and his judge drag out the process for months. Appealing it through the conservative 11th and Supreme Court may drag it out for years, if they're so inclined. Either way, it serves the underlying but unspoken goal: drag things out until Trump or some ally is in th White House and able to abuse the position to pardon him.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1857 on: September 06, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »

If we have a big enough trifrcta, we should impeach and throw this despicable hack judge in jail!
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1858 on: September 06, 2022, 09:52:20 AM »

Biden should appeal to SCOTUS. They won't accept this hackery(except Thomas/Alito)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1859 on: September 06, 2022, 11:23:46 AM »

Twitter is full of defense attorneys gleefully rubbing their hands and looking forward to citing this ruling. What will be telling is whether we have a new broad precedent in criminal law, or whether it's a precedent limited to some subset of rich, prominent Republicans.

In a way, the ruling is a double-pronged trap for the DoJ. Failing to appeal it sets a damaging precedent for future federal prosecutions and lets Trump , his lawyers, and his judge drag out the process for months. Appealing it through the conservative 11th and Supreme Court may drag it out for years, if they're so inclined. Either way, it serves the underlying but unspoken goal: drag things out until Trump or some ally is in th White House and able to abuse the position to pardon him.

But per the order they can resume using the seized material in their investigation once the special master is done, so what's the harm in appealing?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1860 on: September 06, 2022, 12:03:33 PM »

But per the order they can resume using the seized material in their investigation once the special master is done, so what's the harm in appealing?

Tbh, I'm surprised that DoJ hasn't already filed an appeal from just the grant of the TRO, if not from the SM appt., at least for now; moving for emergency relief to get that TRO stayed ASAP has to be its top priority rn in the coming hours & days.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1861 on: September 06, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1862 on: September 06, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »

Not sure how this helps Trump that much? It's not like the special master will be some hack of his.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1863 on: September 06, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »

Not sure how this helps Trump that much? It's not like the special master will be some hack of his.

I suspect it doesn't help in terms of his legal situation, but really that doesn't even seem like his goal. From what I can tell, the primary point of the special master request is to make a political argument to delegitimize the investigation in the eyes of the public. Even most people who are reasonably politically aware don't know much about what a "special master" actually is, so Trump will now try to fill their knowledge vacuum with whatever bulls*** he can make up that makes it sound like this proves his conspiracy theories about the FBI persecuting him for political gain should be taken seriously.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1864 on: September 06, 2022, 03:36:38 PM »

I suspect it doesn't help in terms of his legal situation, but really that doesn't even seem like his goal. From what I can tell, the primary point of the special master request is to make a political argument to delegitimize the investigation in the eyes of the public. Even most people who are reasonably politically aware don't know much about what a "special master" actually is, so Trump will now try to fill their knowledge vacuum with whatever bulls*** he can make up that makes it sound like this proves his conspiracy theories about the FBI persecuting him for political gain should be taken seriously.
That wouldn't surprise me.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1865 on: September 06, 2022, 04:13:31 PM »

I guess that makes sense but I can't see anyone who isn't already done cultist of his buying that. Frankly Trump is so distrusted by a majority of the population that I bet most wouldn't believe him claiming any investigation against him was a politically motivated hack job even he was basically correct in that claim.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1866 on: September 06, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »

Sound like it's one or the other. If they file for an emergency stay and lose they're locked into the appeal process which will take months. If they don't appeal, the special master will take months since they have to be examined for executive privilege. Doesn't matter if that's BS, it's the order. And they can't realistically proceed with the investigation in the meantime because of the chance the agents working on it could become tainted if documents sneak in to an interview somehow. So the point was to delay, a lot, and that's accomplished.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1867 on: September 06, 2022, 05:59:41 PM »

Biden should appeal to SCOTUS. They won't accept this hackery(except Thomas/Alito)

I think there's an extremely strong chance Kavanaugh and ACB go along with it as well. Then all their side needs is for Gorsuch or Roberts to decide they would rather have a republican dictatorship than a democracy. I'm not comfortable with the fate of the Union resting on two men who perjured themselves during their confirmation hearings.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1868 on: September 06, 2022, 07:18:58 PM »

Material on foreign nation’s nuclear capabilities seized at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

A document describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, was found by FBI agents who searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club last month, according to people familiar with the matter, underscoring concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about classified material stashed in the Florida property.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet-level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special-access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

Documents about such highly classified operations require special clearances on a need-to-know basis, not just top-secret clearance. Some special-access programs can have as few as a couple dozen government personnel authorized to know of an operation’s existence. Records that deal with such programs are kept under lock and key, almost always in a secure compartmented information facility, with a designated control officer to keep careful tabs on their location.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/06/trump-nuclear-documents/
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1869 on: September 06, 2022, 07:35:51 PM »

Lmao can you imagine if that nation was Israel?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1870 on: September 06, 2022, 07:48:12 PM »

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1871 on: September 06, 2022, 07:48:36 PM »

Material on foreign nation’s nuclear capabilities seized at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

A document describing a foreign government’s military defenses, including its nuclear capabilities, was found by FBI agents who searched former president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club last month, according to people familiar with the matter, underscoring concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about classified material stashed in the Florida property.

Some of the seized documents detail top-secret U.S. operations so closely guarded that many senior national security officials are kept in the dark about them. Only the president, some members of his Cabinet or a near-Cabinet-level official could authorize other government officials to know details of these special-access programs, according to people familiar with the search, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive details of an ongoing investigation.

Documents about such highly classified operations require special clearances on a need-to-know basis, not just top-secret clearance. Some special-access programs can have as few as a couple dozen government personnel authorized to know of an operation’s existence. Records that deal with such programs are kept under lock and key, almost always in a secure compartmented information facility, with a designated control officer to keep careful tabs on their location.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/09/06/trump-nuclear-documents/

Some country is about to be maaaaaaaad
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1872 on: September 06, 2022, 07:49:25 PM »

A open source intelligence twitter account I follow, already mentioned they think the "foreign nation" is likely Israel.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1873 on: September 06, 2022, 07:56:17 PM »

I've previously predicted Trump would be indicted from this scandal, but I think this removes any possible doubt of it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1874 on: September 06, 2022, 08:06:57 PM »

I've previously predicted Trump would be indicted from this scandal, but I think this removes any possible doubt of it.

The question is - how would they show the jury these documents? Or would they just have to have these FBI agents testify about them obliquely and have the jury take them at their word? I don’t think Garland would want to risk an eventual acquittal.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies