FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 03:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120471 times)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2022, 02:29:17 PM »

No the reason why we are unable to deal with Trump is cause nobody has found a way to break his popularity with right of center voters in this nation . Do that and he is finished

But wouldn't you say popularity is irrelevant in that regard? Evidence of criminal behavior shouldn't care about that. Otherwise, you basically set the standard that anyone who is popular with a certain segment of the population (Trump is not really popular across the country, or outside the Republican Party), can pretty much get away with everything.

In theory yes but you have to take into account what the reality is to. What are the consequences of not prosecuting  for this crime vs what are the consequences you will face for doing so and I think for this crime the consequences of prosecuting would be greater and it actually could help his chances of winning in 2024 .

This right here is the problem. Stop thinking about this in terms of elections. The rule of law is more important than an electoral advantage.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2022, 02:31:00 PM »

If you want to go criminally after him , just focus on Jan 6th imo and nothing else

We all saw the photos of clear plastic boxes full of documents being packed up from the White House on Jan 19-20, 2021.  Why not try to find out whether or not he was illegally absconding with papers that were subject to the Presidential Records Act?

It'd be nice to hold Trump accountable for literally any of his crimes, but why focus on one specific avenue and ignore all others?

Cause of the precedent you would set . Like I said should Bush have been prosecuted for Guantanamo Bay or Obama for drones

Why on Earth are you trying to compare "Guantanamo Bay and drones," to the taking of classified documents?
It's not even apples and oranges. It's more like apples and toothbrushes.
Your argument is silly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »

ITT: "You can't investigate or prosecute somebody for crimes if they have a lot of fans."
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2022, 02:39:57 PM »

As if ordinary people can steal classified material from the White House, lmao. Or as if ordinary people have it so easy to cheat on their taxes. Really a lazy talkingpoint from Republicans. As usual.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #330 on: August 09, 2022, 02:41:56 PM »

If you want to go criminally after him , just focus on Jan 6th imo and nothing else

We all saw the photos of clear plastic boxes full of documents being packed up from the White House on Jan 19-20, 2021.  Why not try to find out whether or not he was illegally absconding with papers that were subject to the Presidential Records Act?

It'd be nice to hold Trump accountable for literally any of his crimes, but why focus on one specific avenue and ignore all others?

Cause of the precedent you would set . Like I said should Bush have been prosecuted for Guantanamo Bay or Obama for drones

Why not?  If crimes have been committed, they should be impartially investigated and prosecuted if necessary.  Anything else is a deeply troubling excuse for abuse of power.

Maybe this can actually set a precedent that as president you can't just do illegal stuff and let off the hook. Prosecuters should follow facts and the evidence. If a future Democratic president does something unlawful, he or she should be equally investigated.

Do you feel Bill Clinton was guilty of obstruction of Justice during the Lewinsky scandal and should’ve been removed from office? I’m not talking about the lying under oath charge in that case - I am specifically asking about the obstruction charge.

If he was guilty then, should he be prosecuted now?

You’re setting the precedent after all that Presidents can be charged with crimes after they leave office, for things done in office. If we set that precedent, it must be applied retroactively to Clinton and Bush Jr (IE Bush’s lies for the Iraq War).

Well, part of the rationale for the DOJ's opinion that sitting Presidents should not be charged while in office is that they could then be charged after leaving office, even for crimes committed in office.  If you can't charge them while in office or after they're out of office, it means they have carte blance to commit any crimes they want during their terms without fear of consequence.  Is that really what you want?  It would be a complete affront to the rule of law; NOBODY is above the law.  In the case of a sitting President, justice may be delayed to avoid disrupting the functioning of government, but it cannot be denied entirely.

If the DOJ thinks they can make a case against Clinton for obstruction, or Bush for the Iraq War, then by all means they should bring it.  It's worth noting that the DOJ had a draft indictment of Nixon for conspiracy to defraud the United States (the same crime the other Watergate conspirators were convicted of) ready to go after his resignation, but it was mooted by Ford's pardon.

And Ford was right to pardon Nixon

I like Gerald Ford, but no, pardoning Nixon was a terrible idea. The lack of accountability that occurred with Nixon is part of why we're dealing with all of Trump's s***.

No the reason why we are unable to deal with Trump is cause nobody has found a way to break his popularity with right of center voters in this nation . Do that and he is finished
You are disillusional and so are other "NeverTrumpers" to even think about of that Trumps Popularity can be broken.

IT CAN'T AND IT WON'T!

People have to deal with it!

Don’t you think DeSantis can beat Trump in a primary too , as that’s what I am talking about
As much as I like Ron DeSantis (and I like him a lot, a lot Smiley ) I just don't think Trump can be beaten for the Republican Nomination if he runs.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #331 on: August 09, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »

It probably says a lot about the moral character of right-of-center voters that they still support Trump in spite of/because of everything he's done, no?
Junior Chimp

« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2022, 02:53:06 PM »

It probably says a lot about the moral character of right-of-center voters that they still support Trump in spite of/because of everything he's done, no?
Well, when it comes to Popularity it's not as easy to diminish it as ya'll think it is.

Take Serbian Tennis Superstar NOVAK DJOKOVIC. The Australian Govtm tried to diminish his Popularity by deporting him from the Country in an unprecendented move because the then Immigration Minister Alex Hawke thought he would stir up the Anti-Vax Movement. ONE MAN. Laughable from my Point of View.

Djokovic is now more popular than ever before.

He stood his Ground. Everyone assumed he would take the Vaccine by now. Guess what: He didn't. He is even sacrificing not taking part in Tournaments in order so that doesn't have to take the vaccine.

Trumps Voters have a similar mindset. They would go over broken glass to support him if they have to no matter what he does.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »

I agree with Mike Pence, no one is above the law.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »

Not really , as the people I know who support him are extremely nice and kind people .

Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2022, 03:21:08 PM »

Not really , as the people I know who support him are extremely nice and kind people .

Every single remotely "nice and kind" Republican I know turned against Trump after 1/6, if not 2016. The only ones that still support him are scumbags.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »

Every single remotely "nice and kind" Republican I know turned against Trump after 1/6, if not 2016. The only ones that still support him are scumbags.

I can't tell if your joking (typical Santander trolling) or not.
But it sounds true.
Smiley
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2022, 03:28:42 PM »

The GOP witchhunt of Clinton and Whitewater and then HRC and her "emails" compared to their outrage about this with Trump really shows they have no shame and are total hypocrites.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2022, 03:29:02 PM »

Really nice and kind people don't storm the Capitol
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2022, 03:29:21 PM »

Trump (or his representative on site) should have received a copy of the search warrant.  I believe it would list the statutes under which evidence was being searched for.  As the recipient, Trump is free to make the warrant publicly available.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #341 on: August 09, 2022, 03:30:20 PM »

Really nice and kind people don't storm the Capitol

Well they did not
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: August 09, 2022, 03:33:21 PM »

Thank you Joe Brandon for helping neutralize threats to the United States! First Zawahiri, now Trump. This administration really is working around the clock to keep people safe!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #343 on: August 09, 2022, 03:34:50 PM »

If they were kind, they would see their countrymen afraid of their party and try to lower the temperature through literally any conciliatory gesture. Kind people don’t make decisions to distress others or threaten their right to self governance.

I’m sure they’re very nice, to the right sorts.

Many were lifelong democrats who voted democratic even in 2016 . They became republicans cause they liked the Trump Presidency
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #344 on: August 09, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »

lmao. It's a hilarious day when both left wing Kirchnerists in Argentina and Republicans in the USA condemn judges and law enforcement for investigating the crimes of a former president who developed a cult-like following, while accusing the opposition of "political persecution"
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »

If they were kind, they would see their countrymen afraid of their party and try to lower the temperature through literally any conciliatory gesture. Kind people don’t make decisions to distress others or threaten their right to self governance.

Many were lifelong democrats who voted democratic even in 2016 . They became republicans cause they liked the Trump Presidency

It is hilarious and telling of what a partisan you are that you think that’s remotely persuasive. Plenty of former and current Democrats are trash people. Trump supporters today are universally  foul and abusive people, regardless of where they came from.

I simply do not care 98%-99% of the time what someone’s politics are when judging whether they are a good person or not .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alyssa-farah-griffin-says-fbi-145453813.html
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2022, 03:56:29 PM »

It is hilarious and telling of what a partisan you are that you think that’s remotely persuasive. Plenty of former and current Democrats are trash people. Trump supporters today are universally  foul and abusive people, regardless of where they came from.

I simply do not care 98%-99% of the time what someone’s politics are when judging whether they are a good person or not .

Having appreciation for others who "likes the trump presidency" after January 6th is more than just "someone's politics," but tells you much about their overall moral and ethical standards.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #348 on: August 09, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »

Remember when Democrats were evil for not supporting this guy’s re-election?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #349 on: August 09, 2022, 04:01:17 PM »

Silence, Republican!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies