FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:07:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 114554 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3175 on: March 14, 2024, 06:30:05 PM »

I think it's in bad faith though, just to make her seem more impartial.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3176 on: March 14, 2024, 06:49:28 PM »

I think she punted on it more so than denied it. They can bring it up again when they discuss jury selection issues.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3177 on: March 14, 2024, 08:32:56 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2024, 08:38:14 PM by brucejoel99 »

Cannon denied this...this really drives home how bad of an argument it was.

I think she punted on it more so than denied it. They can bring it up again when they discuss jury selection issues.

Actually was jury instructions when she said she'd be better-suited to resolve this supposed unclarity of "unauthorized" re: unauthorized possession of docs containing national defense information that one is "entitled to receive."

I think it's in bad faith though, just to make her seem more impartial.

And it's not like the government is in a position to appeal an "erroneous" acquittal here even if her jury instructions down the line just oh-so-conveniently happen to entirely misconstrue the statute defining the requirements to convict.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3178 on: March 14, 2024, 08:48:58 PM »

Weissmann says this is the worst possible decision for the government as it blocks them from going to the 11th circuit. It's only a denial for right now because she's didn't rule they won (or lost).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3179 on: March 14, 2024, 08:52:26 PM »

Weissmann says this is the worst possible decision for the government as it blocks them from going to the 11th circuit. It's only a denial for right now because she's didn't rule they won (or lost).

It all falls on the shoulders of the 12, may they be made of steel.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3180 on: March 17, 2024, 01:29:17 PM »

Denying this motion is an easy slam dunk for Cannon to try to appear remotely non-partisan in this. She would have been reversed on appeal in a heartbeat if she had granted the motion and surely been removed from the case
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3181 on: March 18, 2024, 05:27:00 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 05:57:01 PM by brucejoel99 »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3182 on: March 18, 2024, 05:55:29 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3183 on: March 18, 2024, 06:08:36 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3184 on: March 18, 2024, 06:19:06 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2024, 06:29:21 PM by brucejoel99 »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3185 on: March 18, 2024, 06:32:37 PM »

I'd be lying if I said I understood all this, although I'm also trying to watch a movie about schizophrenia .
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3186 on: March 18, 2024, 06:35:05 PM »

I'd be lying if I said I understood all this, although I'm also trying to watch a movie about schizophrenia .

TL;DR: hack Cannon writing hackish cannon fodder

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3187 on: March 19, 2024, 04:14:37 PM »

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3188 on: March 19, 2024, 05:24:01 PM »

I'd say part of Cannon's plan to schedule her trial thus preventing scheduling of other trials and then dismiss it before the closing arguments.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3189 on: March 19, 2024, 05:40:21 PM »

I'd say part of Cannon's plan to schedule her trial thus preventing scheduling of other trials and then dismiss it before the closing arguments.

This point is actually a big risk she's taking with her jury instructions, to the extent that if she takes this firm departure from her current death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy by giving the Special Counsel something absolutely critical to appeal to the 11th Circ., it may be so bad that we now see the panel sua-sponte order reassignment to a new judge on remand.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3190 on: March 19, 2024, 05:54:33 PM »

This point is actually a big risk she's taking with her jury instructions, to the extent that if she takes this firm departure from her current death-by-a-thousand-cuts strategy by giving the Special Counsel something absolutely critical to appeal to the 11th Circ., it may be so bad that we now see the panel sua-sponte order reassignment to a new judge on remand.

It doesn't matter. Trump DOJ will withdraw the appeal and the charges.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3191 on: March 19, 2024, 06:10:07 PM »

Ok buddy
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3192 on: March 19, 2024, 07:43:22 PM »

And if Trump doesn't win in November?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3193 on: March 19, 2024, 07:48:20 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2024, 07:53:16 PM by Ljube »

And if Trump doesn't win in November?

Then it doesn't matter because he will be convicted.

All that matters is that all trials are delayed until after the election, except for this one, which will be dismissed shortly before the election.

Then, if Trump wins, this case and the Jan 6 case get to disappear.
The other two get frozen until 2029 and then they may not even try Trump if his dementia gets worse.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3194 on: March 19, 2024, 08:13:08 PM »

All that matters is that all trials are delayed until after the election, except for this one, which will be dismissed shortly before the election.

Is that all that matters to you, or all you think matters to Trump?

Because some days I'm really not sure where you're coming from on Trump's trials.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3195 on: March 19, 2024, 08:19:13 PM »

Is that all that matters to you, or all you think matters to Trump?

Because some days I'm really not sure where you're coming from on Trump's trials.

It is all that matters to Cannon and Trump of course.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3196 on: March 20, 2024, 10:28:42 AM »

Ok buddy

In fairness, that is exactly Trump's legal strategy for the federal cases pending against him. In the fact is that even if he goes to trial and is convicted before the election his appeals would last far into 2025, thus giving him the authorization to order the Department of Justice to dismiss all charges, even if his conviction is pending on appeal. In short, if he's elected he can and will successfully order all federal charges against him dropped.

Now that won't help him in the Georgia and New York State prosecutions. However, could he then once again raise the argument that a sitting president cannot be prosecuted while serving their term of office? If so, that would of course delay any prosecution out till early 2029 and God knows how the cases will stand then. Plus he'll be in his early 80s and may just be willing to delay the cases out through appeals till he's dead or dying.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3197 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:01 AM »

Ok buddy

In fairness, that is exactly Trump's legal strategy for the federal cases pending against him. In the fact is that even if he goes to trial and is convicted before the election his appeals would last far into 2025, thus giving him the authorization to order the Department of Justice to dismiss all charges, even if his conviction is pending on appeal. In short, if he's elected he can and will successfully order all federal charges against him dropped.

Now that won't help him in the Georgia and New York State prosecutions. However, could he then once again raise the argument that a sitting president cannot be prosecuted while serving their term of office? If so, that would of course delay any prosecution out till early 2029 and God knows how the cases will stand then. Plus he'll be in his early 80s and may just be willing to delay the cases out through appeals till he's dead or dying.

Then he better pray it doesn't get reassigned from Cannon because once a guilty verdict has been rendered on federal charges by way of plea or trial-by-jury, it requires leave from the court to have them dismissed under Rule 48(a) so that's technically up to the discretion of the district court trial judge, see: for example, the motion to dismiss Flynn's charges not being granted allowing them to remain pending 'til he was pardoned.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3198 on: March 27, 2024, 03:45:09 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3199 on: March 29, 2024, 12:37:48 AM »

Ok buddy

Then he better pray it doesn't get reassigned from Cannon because once a guilty verdict has been rendered on federal charges by way of plea or trial-by-jury, it requires leave from the court to have them dismissed under Rule 48(a) so that's technically up to the discretion of the district court trial judge, see: for example, the motion to dismiss Flynn's charges not being granted allowing them to remain pending 'til he was pardoned.

Doesn't matter. The Trump Department of Justice could and would simply decline to file any appellate briefing or just even concede whole scale error to the 11th circuit.. and that assumes any other district judge would somehow try to force the government into trying a case when they have no intention of doing so. Besides, I think judge Cannon is safe from being removed at this point unless you really screws up
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies