Elections in which the attacks a candidate received would make you like the candidate more
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:53:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Elections in which the attacks a candidate received would make you like the candidate more
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elections in which the attacks a candidate received would make you like the candidate more  (Read 276 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2022, 10:32:26 AM »
« edited: August 06, 2022, 02:16:58 PM by darklordoftech »

For Presidential elections, 1860, 1868, 1892, 1928, 1932, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1988, 1992, 2012, and 2020 come to mind. For non-Presidential elections, the 1988 Connecticut Senate election comes to mind.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 03:47:09 PM »

MD-GOV 2018 and the attacks Hogan ran against Jealous calling him "too extreme".
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:23:33 AM »

The 1860 presidential election. Being anti-slavery is a good thing, actually.

The 1964 presidential election. Am anti-psychiatry due to personal experience, and would've been far more so in the Cold War era back when inhumane treatment was even more common, so the '1189 Psychiatrists' piece would've made me more hesitant to support LBJ. And the way his campaign accused Goldwater of outright supporting the KKK following part of it endorsing him comes off as borderline slanderous, considering Goldwater was an anti-segregation NAACP member who denounced the Klan as soon as part of it endorsed him. Also, hot take, I find the Daisy ad more comedic than scary due to how over-the-top doomer it is. It reminds me of a Snab threaf. 'If Goldwater becomes President, will he invade the USSR?'

The 1972 presidential election. Being the 'Candidate of Acid, Amnesty, and Abortion' is a good thing, actually.

The 1988 presidential election. Most of the attacks on Dukakis were for things that would be considered the standard Democratic platform nowadays, like affiliating with the ACLU (I don't like them as much as other left-leaners do, but I don't consider them the 'radical liberal' organization Bush 41's campaign painted them as) or wanting criminal justice reform. Also, if you count them as an attack, Bernard Shaw's comments during the second debate were below-the-belt and would have made me like Dukakis more for answering them with a cool head.

ND-SEN 2018. Publicly outing sexual assault survivors without their consent, as well as claiming women who weren't sexually abused as survivors, is ghoulish and unacceptable. Even though it sure as hell wouldn't make me like Cramer more, either.

TX-SEN 2018. Most of the attacks aimed at Beto worked in his favour and made him seem more appealing as a candidate.

Agree on 1860, 1972, and 1988. Not sure who did the attacks you’re referring to with ND-Senate 2018 and I’m not sure what attacks were aimed at Beto. As for 1964, the psychiatry attack was abelist, but it wouldn’t make me like Goldwater.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 10:47:15 PM »

The 1964 presidential election. Am anti-psychiatry due to personal experience, and would've been far more so in the Cold War era back when inhumane treatment was even more common, so the '1189 Psychiatrists' piece would've made me more hesitant to support LBJ. And the way his campaign accused Goldwater of outright supporting the KKK following part of it endorsing him comes off as borderline slanderous, considering Goldwater was an anti-segregation NAACP member who denounced the Klan as soon as part of it endorsed him. Also, hot take, I find the Daisy ad more comedic than scary due to how over-the-top doomer it is. It reminds me of a Snab threaf. 'If Goldwater becomes President, will he invade the USSR?'

The 1972 presidential election. Being the 'Candidate of Acid, Amnesty, and Abortion' is a good thing, actually.

The 1988 presidential election. Most of the attacks on Dukakis were for things that would be considered the standard Democratic platform nowadays, like affiliating with the ACLU (I don't like them as much as other left-leaners do, but I don't consider them the 'radical liberal' organization Bush 41's campaign painted them as) or wanting criminal justice reform. Also, if you count them as an attack, Bernard Shaw's comments during the second debate were below-the-belt and would have made me like Dukakis more for answering them with a cool head.

ND-SEN 2018. Publicly outing sexual assault survivors without their consent, as well as claiming women who weren't sexually abused as survivors, is ghoulish and unacceptable. Even though it sure as hell wouldn't make me like Cramer more, either.

TX-SEN 2018. Most of the attacks aimed at Beto worked in his favour and made him seem more appealing as a candidate.

Agree on 1860, 1972, and 1988. Not sure who did the attacks you’re referring to with ND-Senate 2018 and I’m not sure what attacks were aimed at Beto. As for 1964, the psychiatry attack was abelist, but it wouldn’t make me like Goldwater.

ND-SEN 2018 refers to this.

TX-SEN 2018 refers to Ted Cruz's campaign trying to portray Beto as too unprofessional for office due to his past as a member of the band Foss, and especially singling out a specific incident in which he cross-dressed on an album cover. It ended up backfiring, with Dem-leaning media branding him a 'rock star' candidate.

And just like many rock stars, Beto's star faded too soon.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 06:08:57 AM »

My mother supposedly voted PCI at the 1989 European Parliament election because she didn't like media attacks on Achille Occhetto. I approve.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »

Hillary calling Trump "Dangerous Donald" in 2016
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 01:13:31 PM »

2022 PA-Gov and PA-Sen.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 01:41:15 PM »

Sometimes so-called "ableism" is a good thing, such as when you are choosing someone to lead your country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies