Should the US commit to defending Taiwan?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:50:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US commit to defending Taiwan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it in our interest to defend Taiwan?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Should the US commit to defending Taiwan?  (Read 1537 times)
Orange is back
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2022, 08:54:39 PM »

I think it is in our interest to defend Taiwan. And I say that as someone who thinks it is not in our interest to blindly side with Ukraine.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 06:33:34 AM »

yes
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 07:27:21 AM »

The only difference is that Taiwan means something for US with the semiconductors industry, while Ukraine means nothing, being more of the European political interest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2022, 07:40:23 AM by NUPES Enjoyer »

Yes, as it should have committed to defending Ukraine in October 2021.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 12:32:48 PM »

If China actually attacked Taiwan I would not want to go to war with them over it but publicly our policy should be that we would as a deterrent. That deterrent would feel a lot more credible if Biden hadn't let the Taliban take over Afghanistan, though. Not sure why China would expect us to do anything, just like Russia and Ukraine.   
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »

If China actually attacked Taiwan I would not want to go to war with them over it but publicly our policy should be that we would as a deterrent. That deterrent would feel a lot more credible if Biden hadn't let the Taliban take over Afghanistan, though. Not sure why China would expect us to do anything, just like Russia and Ukraine.   

Yes, NATO famously fell apart and Ukraine fell within days  🙄
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 08:34:31 PM »

Yes, but in concert with a renewed SEATO that includes Taiwan. 
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 02:29:40 PM »

No, baiting a nuclear-armed power into a shooting war is insane. Like it or, the US has pursued a policy of "strategic ambiguity" for half a century. We do not have a defense treaty with Taiwan like we have with Japan or the NATO countries. Which puts it in the same basket as Ukraine. I do not condone wars of aggression, of course, but trying to stop China (or Russia) from invading one of their neighbors would lead to a nuclear exchange. How can anyone seriously contemplate that?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 06:30:49 AM »

No, baiting a nuclear-armed power into a shooting war is insane. Like it or, the US has pursued a policy of "strategic ambiguity" for half a century. We do not have a defense treaty with Taiwan like we have with Japan or the NATO countries. Which puts it in the same basket as Ukraine. I do not condone wars of aggression, of course, but trying to stop China (or Russia) from invading one of their neighbors would lead to a nuclear exchange. How can anyone seriously contemplate that?
it would only lead to a nuclear exchange if Russia or the PRC initiated it.  How could either of them seriously contemplate going to war with the greatest military the world has ever seen?  Just so they can invade a weaker neighbor?  No chance.  They aren't suicidal.

And arguments such as yours are the same arguments cowards make when dealing with terrorists.  Which is why you never deal with terrorists.  Threatening nuclear war if you don't get to invade your neighbors is terrorism.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 08:35:13 AM »

it would only lead to a nuclear exchange if Russia or the PRC initiated it.  How could either of them seriously contemplate going to war with the greatest military the world has ever seen?  Just so they can invade a weaker neighbor?  No chance.  They aren't suicidal.

And arguments such as yours are the same arguments cowards make when dealing with terrorists.  Which is why you never deal with terrorists.  Threatening nuclear war if you don't get to invade your neighbors is terrorism.

They wouldn't want to initiate it, but Xi may feel it's a choice between that and him losing power, which would happen to any Chinese leader that was seen as capitulating on TW. In that case, he'd choose war.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 09:03:33 AM »

They wouldn't want to initiate it, but Xi may feel it's a choice between that and him losing power, which would happen to any Chinese leader that was seen as capitulating on TW. In that case, he'd choose war.
sure, people usually have good reasons in their head to do terrorism.  That doesn't change how we should deal with the terrorists.  Are we supposed to do just do everything Pooh wants just so he doesn't worry about losing power?  Where do we draw the line?
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 09:13:42 AM »

sure, people usually have good reasons in their head to do terrorism.  That doesn't change how we should deal with the terrorists.  Are we supposed to do just do everything Pooh wants just so he doesn't worry about losing power?  Where do we draw the line?

How about drawing the line where we already have clear defense treaties in place (Japan, South Korea, etc). And if anything, the US is more likely to initiate a nuclear exchange. We would likely have a single carrier group on the region when China invaded Taiwan. That carrier group will certainly punch above it's weight, but should still be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of jets and sas missiles. US force projection is going to be a bigger issue than most commentators realize. Judging from all the recent rhetoric from DC cretins about the utility of tactical nukes and how a nuclear exchange "wouldn't actually cause an apocalyptic nuclear winter," I could absolutely see the Pentagon signing off on "limited nuclear strikes" to soften the Chinese invasion while additional carrier groups are scrambled across the Pacific. Which would be insane, because of course china would retaliate in kind. But that seems to be where we are headed, as far as I can tell.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »

Yes, as it should have committed to defending Ukraine in October 2021.

This, though Ukraine should have been admitted as NATO member back in 2008 or 2014 at latest.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »

How about drawing the line where we already have clear defense treaties in place (Japan, South Korea, etc).
or, ya know, we don't let terrorists dictate our foreign policy
And if anything, the US is more likely to initiate a nuclear exchange.
maybe, or maybe we don't
We would likely have a single carrier group on the region when China invaded Taiwan.
maybe
That carrier group will certainly punch above it's weight, but should still be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of jets and sas missiles.
maybe
US force projection is going to be a bigger issue than most commentators realize.
we are the best the world has ever seen at it (and it's not close), but maybe you're right
Judging from all the recent rhetoric from DC cretins about the utility of tactical nukes
cite?
and how a nuclear exchange "wouldn't actually cause an apocalyptic nuclear winter,"
a nuclear exchange with the PRC certainly wouldn't, if Russia decided they wanted to play too (and why would they?) it might be a different story
I could absolutely see the Pentagon signing off on "limited nuclear strikes" to soften the Chinese invasion while additional carrier groups are scrambled across the Pacific. Which would be insane, because of course china would retaliate in kind. But that seems to be where we are headed, as far as I can tell.
That is possible, but only if the PLA is competent, and there is zero evidence they will be.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 10:30:49 AM »

How about drawing the line where we already have clear defense treaties in place (Japan, South Korea, etc).
or, ya know, we don't let terrorists dictate our foreign policy
And if anything, the US is more likely to initiate a nuclear exchange.
maybe, or maybe we don't
We would likely have a single carrier group on the region when China invaded Taiwan.
maybe
That carrier group will certainly punch above it's weight, but should still be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of jets and sas missiles.
maybe
US force projection is going to be a bigger issue than most commentators realize.
we are the best the world has ever seen at it (and it's not close), but maybe you're right
Judging from all the recent rhetoric from DC cretins about the utility of tactical nukes
cite?
and how a nuclear exchange "wouldn't actually cause an apocalyptic nuclear winter,"
a nuclear exchange with the PRC certainly wouldn't, if Russia decided they wanted to play too (and why would they?) it might be a different story
I could absolutely see the Pentagon signing off on "limited nuclear strikes" to soften the Chinese invasion while additional carrier groups are scrambled across the Pacific. Which would be insane, because of course china would retaliate in kind. But that seems to be where we are headed, as far as I can tell.
That is possible, but only if the PLA is competent, and there is zero evidence they will be.

The fact that you're able to say "maybe" to all that instead of just categorically write it off...that doesn't unsettle you at all? I'm not on some pro-Xi kick or whatever, but I really think we ought to be realistic about where our interests lie and what is reasonable to go to war over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »

Accepting the principle that nuclear-armed states can invade their neighbors with impunity functionally guarantees that nuclear war will happen sooner or latter. Just like accepting Hitler's invasion of Czekoslovakia functionally guaranteed WW2.

The only way you actually stop it is by putting your foot down and saying "try me".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 03:36:27 PM »

Accepting the principle that nuclear-armed states can invade their neighbors with impunity functionally guarantees that nuclear war will happen sooner or latter. Just like accepting Hitler's invasion of Czekoslovakia functionally guaranteed WW2.

The only way you actually stop it is by putting your foot down and saying "try me".

So the only way to stop nuclear war is to get into one? Makes no sense.

Taiwan is not Ukraine. Ukraine is an internationally recognized U.N. member state, including recognized by Russia itself until 2014, with its 1991 borders. Taiwan on the other hand is not recognized by any but a handful of tiny countries and has not even declared its own existence except as the Republic of China (ROC), let alone ever having been recognized by the PRC. So there are huge differences in principle between that island and other neighbors that are actual states.

Further, there are things we can do to defend Taiwan and deny "impunity" without getting into a direct war with China. We can impose economic costs like prohibiting Chinese exports which would cripple their economy, sanctions, and providing weapons and other aid to Taiwan that would make the attack prohibitively costly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 04:56:22 PM »

The fact that you're able to say "maybe" to all that instead of just categorically write it off...that doesn't unsettle you at all?
not at all.  "maybe" Big Foot exists, "maybe" aliens will visit tomorrow, "maybe" Democrats will stop charging the future for the inflation of today, "maybe" Republicans will remember they like free markets and hate Russians.
I'm not on some pro-Xi kick or whatever, but I really think we ought to be realistic about where our interests lie and what is reasonable to go to war over.
as should the Red Chinese, if they want to lose a war trying to stay in power, well, they won't be the first to die under such a situation and they won't be the last either.  It's the way of many tyrants.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »

Atlas is sounding like Lindsey Graham - LOL

No, the U.S. should not commit to a military defense of Taiwan.  An underappreciated purpose of strategic ambiguity is to allow the U.S. and Taiwan to informally cooperate (i.e., arms sales, low-level military exercises, a de facto U.S. embassy in Taiwan, etc.) without provoking a military reaction from Beijing.  An impending formal alliance increases the possibility of war because 1) it gives the mainland the rationale it needs to invade and 2) it encourages Taiwan to take more aggressive steps towards independence, which itself provokes China. 
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 04:34:14 PM »

This is why I was against the US surrendering to the Taliban.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 05:40:27 PM »

Taiwan is a vital strategic ally of the US, rather than it just being immoral for it to be subjugated like Ukraine. So the US should take any necessary measures to prevent it from being invaded. The problem is if China does not believe the US sees it this way and so chooses to invade. If the risk of an invasion is low, then the US can get away with not complicating things and antagonising China with a public alliance. If the risk is high, the US needs to make clear to China before it's too late that an invasion can't be allowed to occur.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 07:37:43 AM »

Agreed. In addition to Cassandra's points, the entire economy of Western Australia would collapse and Australia would go into recession if we don't supply them with their coal and iron ore.

We are killing the pig on coal with China at the moment after they tried to cancel our coal exports only to drive up the price through the roof and we sold it elsewhere. Now they are paying triple per tonne for it.

Gooses.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 02:18:09 AM »

Its an interesting paradox, because of the semiconductor dependence, we have to defend Taiwan.

Yet because of the semiconductor dependence, we cannot effectively defend Taiwan.

Somehow, I doubt this was the pipe dream of the idealists and free traders in the 1990s who insisted that Free Trade was the path to perpetual peace.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies