Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you believe in the Great Replacement Theory?
Yes (Republican)

No (Republican)

Yes (Democrat)

No (Democrat)

Yes (third party or independent)

No (third party or independent)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Do You Believe in the 'Great Replacement Theory'?  (Read 4509 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2022, 11:43:02 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2022, 12:36:12 AM by Velasco »

It's a fact that white people will lose demographic majority status in the US next ~30 years - there's nothing conspiratorial in asserting this. The conspiracy (and opprobrium) come from believing it to be a (((scheme))) and a goal unto itself instead of seeing it as a byproduct of several cultural and demographic trends or policy decisions that were intended to be race-blind.

Even that though - is a lot to do with the very specific New World way that America tries to pigeon-hole and force racial categories. As in, there are a lot of American people who would be considered as being "white" elsewhere but who aren't in the American understanding of racial classifications; and the country is a very, very long way from having a majority of the population with no or little European ancestry.
Nah, I really don't think that's true (the part in bold primarily. The part after that is definitely true.) The notion that people aren't "truly" white if they have some sort of somewhat "ethnic" background or a tiny bit of non-European ancestry isn't really a widely held view in the US by anyone younger than Social Security eligibility age and for some reason Atlas posters. The people pushing the "Great Replacement" stuff certainly don't think that, it's not like they're also trying to exclude Italians and Eastern Europeans, a lot are actually of that ancestry themselves.
I know this is one of your favorite targets, but "white ethics" are not really what people are usually talking about in this conversation. The largest groups of American people who would be classified as "white" elsewhere but who are seen as non-white in America are (1) multiracial people (many of whom move into and out of racial categories between censuses — a 1/2 white–1/2 Asian or 3/4–1/4 mixed person identifying as white and Asian in 2010 and just white or just Asian in 2020, for example) and (2) Hispanics.
But in the US, most Hispanics are white. You see, Hispanic is not a separate race on the Census.

There is a specific group called "non-Hispanic whites". When a racial classification establishes there are "Hispanic" and "non-Hispanic" whites, it is determining there are levels or degrees of "whiteness". Moreover, the  "non-Hispanic " group is commonly perceived and identified as "white"

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/3-ways-that-the-u-s-population-will-change-over-the-next-decade

In 2020, non-Hispanic white people, hereafter called whites, are still the majority race in the U.S., representing 59.7% of the U.S. population.

On the other hand, this classification might be problematic. We assume (correctly) that most Hispanics are of mixed race, but what happens with Larin Americans of purely European ancestry (Argentinians with Swiss background, for instance)?. Are they Latinos? "Whiteness" is commonly associated to European ancestry. But even among Europeans there exist levels of "whiteness", because Nordic types have fairer skins compared to Mediterranean types. The Bureau defines "White" people to be those "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East or North Africa.". By this definition Berber, Arab and Semitic types are incorporated into that racial classification. I have no problem with that, but your average white supremacist replacement theorist will reject that definition of "whiteness"
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2022, 02:10:06 AM »

Believe it or not, I'm not a racist conspiracy theorist.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2022, 01:00:00 AM »

As a replacer™, I actively cheer it on and celebrate it.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2022, 10:58:27 PM »

ITT:
It's happening and that's good
It's happening and that's bad
It's not happening and that's good
It's not happening and that's bad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2022, 07:47:28 AM »

As a replacer™, I actively cheer it on and celebrate it.

Make my country great again!
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »

I have a brain, so of course not
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2022, 05:24:34 AM »

I see Republicans are evenly divided on this issue....
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies