Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these movies do you like/dislike
The Shawshank Redemption - Freedom Movie

The Shawshank Redemption - Horrible Movie

The Godfather - Freedom Movie

The Godfather - Horrible Movie

The Dark Knight -  Freedom Movie

The Dark Knight - Horrible Movie

The Lord of the Rings Return of the King - Freedom Movie

The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King - Horrible Movie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie  (Read 950 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 10, 2022, 10:39:16 PM »

The LotR movies got worse both as adaptations and as movies as they went on, although they stayed eminently watchable and there'll always be something very special to me about the vindication that RotK got critically and in awards season when I was a bereft nerdy preteen bumming around South Jersey in Dubya's first term wishing I could live in Middle-earth instead. Christopher Nolan's take on Batman was fascinating at the time but has not improved with age, to say the least. The Shawshank Redemption is a good movie and The Godfather a great one, but neither would be in my personal three or five greatest; The Godfather might be in my ten greatest, though, and probably would be in my twenty.

Gotta agree with that. I think the Nolan Batman movies have aged so poorly that I’m now of the opinion Tim Burton’s Batman movies were better simply because they were a little more timeless. I couldn’t even finish the latest Batman movie though so have to disagree with those saying that’s better.

I love 'The Batman' but I completely understand how intimidating it can be to watch at almost three hours.

As for the Burton films I agree that they actually hold up better and I think it's because they are the most fantastical and visually distinct of all the films which works with how much more eccentric and surreal they are compared to the Nolan entries which are kind of bland and pretentious in hindsight. Well, the Schumacher films are visually unique too, but in a more garish, less pleasant way and go too far into being over-the-top and silly. Burton's Art Deco-Gothic fusion look and sensibilities just really meshes well with Batman's setting and themes. You are actually making me want to go back and rewatch them.

I think what needs to be said is that the Burton films, so far as I am aware, don't even pretend to be "commentary" and as such their status is not intertwined with takes on the nature of mass surveillance or populism, or distinct memories of the 2000s-2010s. Joker wants to kill people with poison green gas at a parade downtown? Makes sense to me. And as much as I adore some of the "sci-fi minimalist" aspects of the Nolan franchise, the Burton films appear far more unique in a world now saturated with Nolan's style. Lastly, Nolan's Gotham looks far too optimistic and modern in light of both Joker and The Batman, which gave us a taste of mid-twentieth century "gothic".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies