Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:02:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these movies do you like/dislike
The Shawshank Redemption - Freedom Movie

The Shawshank Redemption - Horrible Movie

The Godfather - Freedom Movie

The Godfather - Horrible Movie

The Dark Knight -  Freedom Movie

The Dark Knight - Horrible Movie

The Lord of the Rings Return of the King - Freedom Movie

The Lord of the Rings - Return of the King - Horrible Movie

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Freedom Movie or Horrible Movie  (Read 947 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2022, 08:29:12 PM »

I think these should almost be completely unanimous, these are rated as the 4 best movies of all time according to IMDB.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 11:15:04 PM »

IMDb is a terrible website and The Dark Knight sucks.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 11:26:13 PM »

I think these should almost be completely unanimous, these are rated as the 4 best movies of all time according to IMDB.
You f[inks]ed up the poll format.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 07:05:20 AM »

Three of these movies are great. Maybe not the three greatest of all-time, but worthy of being in the conversation about truly great movies. The other is The Dark Knight. I don’t hate it like John Dule does, but it’s at least a whole tier down from the other three.

Anyway, since the poll’s messed up I just voted FM for The Godfather as I think that’s the best one here. Although I actually prefer the second one. Also prefer Fellowship of the Ring to Return of the King, though really all of LOTR is basically one giant movie.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 08:41:45 AM »

Out of these, The Shawshank Redemption as favourite. Biggest dislike probably out of these The Dark Knight.
LBJer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 09:05:15 AM »

Since I could only vote for one, I voted for the Godfather, freedom movie.  I think the first Godfather is the best movie ever, and Shawshank is the second best. 
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »

All four of these are good movies.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 06:12:32 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2022, 06:17:37 PM by nicholas.slaydon »

All four of these are massively good movies, yet I wouldn't personally put them ( save The Return of the King, even though it is the third best in the trilogy) in the top four best films of all time.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 06:36:23 PM »

All are freedom movies, though 'The Dark Knight' is possibly the most overrated movie in existence so it's lean freedom movie at best to me. It's not bad by any means, but I've never identified with those who lose their s*** over it so much. I saw it, I liked it, and then I moved on with my damn life. Nolan fanboys can be as bad as Zach Snyder fanboys to me. I still don't know how anyone excuses Christian Bale's choice to do that gravelly Batman voice. Overtime I've actually grown to like it even less too, especially after seeing 'The Batman' which is now the best Batman movie by far and should be more revered than 'The Dark Knight' is.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 01:23:18 AM »

The Shawshank Redemption - FM
The Dark Knight: Meh Movie
LOTR, I haven't see  it in like a decade, I remember liking the movie, but not loving it (but i watched it during a vacation when i was pretty tired)
I haven't watched The Godfather series
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 02:30:23 AM »

The LotR movies got worse both as adaptations and as movies as they went on, although they stayed eminently watchable and there'll always be something very special to me about the vindication that RotK got critically and in awards season when I was a bereft nerdy preteen bumming around South Jersey in Dubya's first term wishing I could live in Middle-earth instead. Christopher Nolan's take on Batman was fascinating at the time but has not improved with age, to say the least. The Shawshank Redemption is a good movie and The Godfather a great one, but neither would be in my personal three or five greatest; The Godfather might be in my ten greatest, though, and probably would be in my twenty.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »

The LotR movies got worse both as adaptations and as movies as they went on, although they stayed eminently watchable and there'll always be something very special to me about the vindication that RotK got critically and in awards season when I was a bereft nerdy preteen bumming around South Jersey in Dubya's first term wishing I could live in Middle-earth instead. Christopher Nolan's take on Batman was fascinating at the time but has not improved with age, to say the least. The Shawshank Redemption is a good movie and The Godfather a great one, but neither would be in my personal three or five greatest; The Godfather might be in my ten greatest, though, and probably would be in my twenty.

Gotta agree with that. I think the Nolan Batman movies have aged so poorly that I’m now of the opinion Tim Burton’s Batman movies were better simply because they were a little more timeless. I couldn’t even finish the latest Batman movie though so have to disagree with those saying that’s better.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 11:28:41 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2022, 07:02:38 PM by Mr. Smith »

LOTR III: Like Titanic, the main characters aren't that interesting this time, the action is good, but the running time is long, and ultimately it's the end song that elevates it above all. I can't help but think Ralph Bakshi's Part II would've been more fascinating. Really can't forgive scouring out The Scouring of The Shire.

Dark Knight: Solid movie, definitely appreciate Ledger's Joker more now than then and Eckhart is amazing, but it should've ended with the explosion. It ran too long.

Shawshank: Amazing

The Godfaher: Amazing would be an insult. A true cinematic offer that can't be refused.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 11:38:03 PM »

I can't help but think Ralph Bakshi's Part II would've been more fascinating. Really can't forgive scouring out The Scouring of The Shire.

I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion, but this is a terrible one.

Peter Jackson managed something even Tolkien couldn't do: Make LOTR interesting!

Bakshi's version is only interesting if you're exceptionally stoned. And the Scouring of the Shire was bad even in literature, and would have been even worse in film.

Jackson managed to take source material that's generally difficult for anyone other than 13 year old virgin boys to get into and turned it into an absolute cinematic masterpiece. No small feat AT ALL. All three LOTR movies are 10/10 IMO, Fellowship bordering on 11/10. And this is coming from someone who could never even finish the first book without getting bored.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »

Gotta agree with that. I think the Nolan Batman movies have aged so poorly that I’m now of the opinion Tim Burton’s Batman movies were better simply because they were a little more timeless. I couldn’t even finish the latest Batman movie though so have to disagree with those saying that’s better.

I love 'The Batman' but I completely understand how intimidating it can be to watch at almost three hours.

As for the Burton films I agree that they actually hold up better and I think it's because they are the most fantastical and visually distinct of all the films which works with how much more eccentric and surreal they are compared to the Nolan entries which are kind of bland and pretentious in hindsight. Well, the Schumacher films are visually unique too, but in a more garish, less pleasant way and go too far into being over-the-top and silly. Burton's Art Deco-Gothic fusion look and sensibilities just really meshes well with Batman's setting and themes. You are actually making me want to go back and rewatch them.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 06:54:13 PM »

I would rather give myself testicular torsion with an electric egg beater than watch another superhero movie, let alone a 3-hour one.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 06:20:06 PM »

I would rather give myself testicular torsion with an electric egg beater than watch another superhero movie, let alone a 3-hour one.

Just admit you have a vagina and move on
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 06:33:30 PM »

Superheroes are for emasculated losers with power fantasies. If you’re not impotent yet, you will be after watching Marvel Phase 9 or whatever.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 06:52:22 PM »

Wait, not liking capesh**t gives you a vagina? Damn my hyperfixation on Dreadnought!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2022, 09:16:57 PM »

Superheroes are for emasculated losers with power fantasies. If you’re not impotent yet, you will be after watching Marvel Phase 9 or whatever.

Your wife told me the other night about your issues with impotentency don't worry you'll be a dad in 9 months. Though he'll look a lot like me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »

I personally don't care for The Godfather. It sold a false image of the Mafia to generations of people. It made them seem cool and the sort of people you'd want to be around. The movie itself qas likely corrupted by the real-life Mafia.

Mobsters are not people who deserve to be idolised. They're psychopathic killers who kill people at the drop of a hat. Scorsese seemed to understand that across his mob films and portrayed them for who they are.

I don't care for Godfather and never will. Give me Goodfellas any day of the week.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »

For some reason, the worse a movie/TV franchise is, the more obsessively its fans defend it. Breaking Bad fans will literally make retard-tier memes about Bob Odenkirk's foot fetish and Dean Norris saying "sussy baka," but if you say one negative thing about muh Marvel or DC, you will have legions of fanboys screaming about how they're going to rape your father and kill your mother. The insecurity is palpable.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 10:26:20 PM »

For some reason, the worse a movie/TV franchise is, the more obsessively its fans defend it. Breaking Bad fans will literally make retard-tier memes about Bob Odenkirk's foot fetish and Dean Norris saying "sussy baka," but if you say one negative thing about muh Marvel or DC, you will have legions of fanboys screaming about how they're going to rape your father and kill your mother. The insecurity is palpable.

I don't know people getting that crazy about the Birdemic franchise.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 10:39:16 PM »

I love 'The Batman' but I completely understand how intimidating it can be to watch at almost three hours.

As for the Burton films I agree that they actually hold up better and I think it's because they are the most fantastical and visually distinct of all the films which works with how much more eccentric and surreal they are compared to the Nolan entries which are kind of bland and pretentious in hindsight. Well, the Schumacher films are visually unique too, but in a more garish, less pleasant way and go too far into being over-the-top and silly. Burton's Art Deco-Gothic fusion look and sensibilities just really meshes well with Batman's setting and themes. You are actually making me want to go back and rewatch them.

I think what needs to be said is that the Burton films, so far as I am aware, don't even pretend to be "commentary" and as such their status is not intertwined with takes on the nature of mass surveillance or populism, or distinct memories of the 2000s-2010s. Joker wants to kill people with poison green gas at a parade downtown? Makes sense to me. And as much as I adore some of the "sci-fi minimalist" aspects of the Nolan franchise, the Burton films appear far more unique in a world now saturated with Nolan's style. Lastly, Nolan's Gotham looks far too optimistic and modern in light of both Joker and The Batman, which gave us a taste of mid-twentieth century "gothic".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 02:44:03 AM »

I personally don't care for The Godfather. It sold a false image of the Mafia to generations of people. It made them seem cool and the sort of people you'd want to be around. The movie itself qas likely corrupted by the real-life Mafia.

Mobsters are not people who deserve to be idolised. They're psychopathic killers who kill people at the drop of a hat. Scorsese seemed to understand that across his mob films and portrayed them for who they are.

I don't care for Godfather and never will. Give me Goodfellas any day of the week.

That last sentence and the rest of your post are completely incongruous. We're you trying to be funny?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies