Does Gen Z have a more "French" view of political philosophy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:09:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does Gen Z have a more "French" view of political philosophy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does Gen Z have a more "French" view of political philosophy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Does Gen Z have a more "French" view of political philosophy?  (Read 1284 times)
Brother Jonathan

« on: August 05, 2022, 10:13:36 PM »

I think something like the reverse -- the state as an inherently immoral undertaking -- is one of those base assumptions of the libertarian right that has been bleeding into other kinds of worldviews.

This also strikes me as being a much better basis for understanding Gen Z's view of political philosophy.  The idea of the state as a moral undertaking (or of working towards moral ends) is very much anathema to most members of Gen Z by virtue of the relativism that frankly permeates almost all Gen Z discourse and understanding. Really, I doubt there are many (if any) institutions in general that the bulk of Gen Z consider moral undertakings or as properly turned towards moral ends, which is concerning to me. They tend to bristle at the notion that institutions should have any role in shaping individuals morally.

That's not to say that there are not elements within Gen Z that believe in restricting or regulating behavior out of a concern for justice, a sizeable group does, but the conception of justice there is not really rooted in any classical moral version of justice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies