Harvard & UNC affirmative action cases to be argued on Oct 31 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:42:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Harvard & UNC affirmative action cases to be argued on Oct 31 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harvard & UNC affirmative action cases to be argued on Oct 31  (Read 1646 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: August 05, 2022, 11:59:06 PM »

This is an issue where I part with the left-wing of the Court. I think affirmative action is a blatant violation of the Equal Protection Clause. I think it's bad policy as well, though that has nothing to do with the constitutional issues at hand. The issues of systemic racism are real, but they require a different solution that is compatible with the Equal Protection Clause.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »

There are a number of issues where Roberts prefers an incrementalist approach. I do not believe this is one of them. I'm more surprised that affirmative action has lasted as long as it has. It does seem to have nine lives, so to speak. I thought Fisher II was going to be the end considering Kennedy had joined Rehnquist's dissent in Grutter.

I would be surprised if there aren't now six Justices willing to overrule Grutter and if Roberts isn't the one writing the decision.

I'm more troubled by the UNC case, which involves low-income and first-generation students. I think that's a separate issue. I'm not sure how a conservative majority that is loath to use the Equal Protection Clause for issues not explicitly invoking race will thread that needle.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies