Rep Jackie Walorski (Indiana) has died in a car crash
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep Jackie Walorski (Indiana) has died in a car crash
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rep Jackie Walorski (Indiana) has died in a car crash  (Read 2571 times)
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 10:30:07 AM »

I’m not sure what this achieves on an RIP thread. Do you think we need an additional thread about abortion?

Not to compare this place to the cesspool (or Eden, depending on the day) that is Reddit, but I think the Reddit thread on her death under the news sub handled this properly:  posters were allowed to criticize her legislation, her votes, her political agenda, but they were not permitted to openly celebrate or praise her objectively tragic demise.  

It's a very thin line, but it's a line that CAN be established.  

There's honestly never any need to have an RIP thread on a forum like this or Reddit. Not every piece of news needs a comments section. Does anyone think her family or friends are going to browse either and be heartened by a bunch of deadpan "RIP" comments? It's just an opportunity for scum to get off on their fetish for saying socially unacceptable things without social consequences.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 11:32:23 AM »

I’m not sure what this achieves on an RIP thread. Do you think we need an additional thread about abortion?

Not to compare this place to the cesspool (or Eden, depending on the day) that is Reddit, but I think the Reddit thread on her death under the news sub handled this properly:  posters were allowed to criticize her legislation, her votes, her political agenda, but they were not permitted to openly celebrate or praise her objectively tragic demise.  

There's honestly never any need to have an RIP thread on a forum like this or Reddit. Not every piece of news needs a comments section. Does anyone think her family or friends are going to browse either and be heartened by a bunch of deadpan "RIP" comments? It's just an opportunity for scum to get off on their fetish for saying socially unacceptable things without social consequences.

Honestly agree with this. Unless it's a major news event, like a former President or the Queen of England or something, these threads don't serve much of a purpose.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 02:04:34 PM »

Honestly agree with this. Unless it's a major news event, like a former President or the Queen of England or something, these threads don't serve much of a purpose.

RIP threads aren’t my cup of tea (although I’ve probably commented on a few) but people seem to do them for a reason.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »

The death of a current U.S. Representative is certainly news that's appropriate for this forum.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 05:24:17 PM »

However, auto deaths are significantly more common among younger people than older people, and members of Congress are definitely old…so in that sense MCs should be less likely than average to die in a car accident.

Members of Congress almost never drive themselves though, they usually have staffers do it when they're doing work-related stuff. And given that staffers are mostly on the younger end, I'm frankly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I'm guessing that a lot of those deaths have to do with drunk driving, and I doubt as many staffers are driving drunk while on the clock.  It's not purely an experience thing, but also one relating to certain behaviors that are less likely in that circumstance.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »

The death of a current U.S. Representative is certainly news that's appropriate for this forum.

If this is going to serve as a news outlet rather than a discussion forum, the news can be posted in a thread that is immediately locked.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 09:46:35 PM »

If this is going to serve as a news outlet rather than a discussion forum, the news can be posted in a thread that is immediately locked.

I'd move the comment to the corresponding thread in US General Discussion, as it's inappropriate for the Congressional Elections board.

Comments about who the candidates for Walorski's seat would be with her dead would be more appropriate for this particular thread on this board, in my opinion.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that in the past, these threads have also served as a segue to discuss the electoral implications of open seats where an incumbent has died, as well (special elections, replacement nominees, etc.). That's not much the case here yet, but that kind of discussion is well within the scope of the Congressional Elections board.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2022, 11:04:42 PM »

On the topic of drunk driving, local sheriffs found that it was Walorski's vehicle that caused the accident:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/car-carrying-rep-jackie-walorski-crossed-center-line-caused-deadly-crash-sheriff-says

The wreck that killed Rep. Jackie Walorski and three others was caused when the vehicle carrying the congresswoman crossed the center line, an Indiana sheriff's office said.

Walorski, 58, communications director Emma Thomson, 28, and district director Zachary Potts, 27, were all killed in a Wednesday head-on collision in Elkhart County, Indiana.

Edith Schmucker, 56, the sole occupant of the colliding vehicle, was also killed. Elkhart County Sheriff's Office released updated information Thursday that corrected what the office initially said Wednesday.

All occupants of both vehicles were wearing seat belts, the office said, and Potts was driving the Toyota RAV4, with Walorski and Thomson as passengers.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »

However, auto deaths are significantly more common among younger people than older people, and members of Congress are definitely old…so in that sense MCs should be less likely than average to die in a car accident.

Members of Congress almost never drive themselves though, they usually have staffers do it when they're doing work-related stuff. And given that staffers are mostly on the younger end, I'm frankly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I'm guessing that a lot of those deaths have to do with drunk driving, and I doubt as many staffers are driving drunk while on the clock.  It's not purely an experience thing, but also one relating to certain behaviors that are less likely in that circumstance.

Absolutely...as long as the MC is never driving drunk or riding with a drunk driver, they should have a substantially lower chance of dying in a car accident than the national averages would suggest. The same is true if they are just never riding with very inexperienced or reckless drivers.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 02:46:12 PM »

Terrible news. RIP. I never heard of Jackie Walorski before. She must have not been in Congress that long.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »

Terrible news. RIP. I never heard of Jackie Walorski before. She must have not been in Congress that long.

That was not the case.  She lost a close election against the incumbent, Joe Donnelly, in 2010.  She then won another close one to take the open seat in 2012 after Donnelly left to run for Senate.  She was reelected comforably in the subsequent four elections.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 04:22:37 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2022, 12:08:59 PM by Roll Roons »

Don't want to respond directly to the troll, but there are definitely some very anonymous members who have been in Congress for a long time.

Case in point: Mike Thompson. This guy has been around since 1999, but when was the last time you heard anything about him anywhere? Same with Frank Lucas, who's been in office since 1994.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2022, 08:37:30 PM »

On the topic of drunk driving, local sheriffs found that it was Walorski's vehicle that caused the accident:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/car-carrying-rep-jackie-walorski-crossed-center-line-caused-deadly-crash-sheriff-says

The wreck that killed Rep. Jackie Walorski and three others was caused when the vehicle carrying the congresswoman crossed the center line, an Indiana sheriff's office said.

Walorski, 58, communications director Emma Thomson, 28, and district director Zachary Potts, 27, were all killed in a Wednesday head-on collision in Elkhart County, Indiana.

Edith Schmucker, 56, the sole occupant of the colliding vehicle, was also killed. Elkhart County Sheriff's Office released updated information Thursday that corrected what the office initially said Wednesday.

All occupants of both vehicles were wearing seat belts, the office said, and Potts was driving the Toyota RAV4, with Walorski and Thomson as passengers.

Nowhere in the article does it say that anyone was drinking:

https://www.wbko.com/2022/08/04/police-change-account-crash-killing-indiana-rep-walorski/

Rep. Walorski was a passenger, not the driver.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2022, 08:39:36 PM »

That was not the case.  She lost a close election against the incumbent, Joe Donnelly, in 2010.  She then won another close one to take the open seat in 2012 after Donnelly left to run for Senate.  She was reelected comforably in the subsequent four elections.

Before that she was in the Indiana statehouse and did missionary work in Romania.

I volunteered for her in the 2010 and 2012 elections and that’s how I met VP Pence before he became governor.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2022, 08:00:21 PM »

So anyway, who are some possible contenders for this seat?
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2022, 08:02:24 PM »

So anyway, who are some possible contenders for this seat?

https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2022/08/03/in-02-rep-jackie-walorski-r-has-died/

RRH always makes a post with a list of possible candidates when there's a retirement or vacancy.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2022, 10:35:58 PM »

State Representative Curt Nisly became the person to file to run for the seat.

Nisly just got defeated in the Republican Primary for reelection by fellow State Representative Craig Snow in a member vs. member primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »

State Representative Curt Nisly became the person to file to run for the seat.

Nisly just got defeated in the Republican Primary for reelection by fellow State Representative Craig Snow in a member vs. member primary.

He lost by like 72% - 28% or something like that
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2022, 02:13:45 AM »

Republicans select Walorski staffer and businessman Rudy Yakim as their nominee.

The Indiana Republican Party on Saturday selected Rudy Yakym as the GOP nominee to replace the late Rep. Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.), who died suddenly in a car accident earlier this month.

Yakym, who was previously the finance director for Walorski’s congressional campaign, was one of 12 candidates vying to fill the congresswoman’s vacancy in the 2nd Congressional District of Indiana.

The businessman won two caucuses, one to nominate a candidate for the special election to replace Walorski and one to select a nominee for the general election in November.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies