Is OZ running for senator in PA similar to Hillary Clinton running for senator in NY?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:20:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is OZ running for senator in PA similar to Hillary Clinton running for senator in NY?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is OZ running for senator in PA similar to Hillary Clinton running for senator in NY?  (Read 927 times)
Cyrusman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:58 PM »

I've been hearing a lot about how much Oz not originally being from PA is hurting him, so it got me thinking of other examples in which a senator didn't necessarily have close ties to a state they became a senator in. One of the biggest names that popped in my head was Hillary Clinton.

From my understanding, Hillary had no ties to NY. She was born in IL and lived the majority of her life in AR before going to D.C. Then she ran for senator of NY due to it being favorable for her party.

Also from my understanding Ted Cruz was not born in Texas and did not live the majority of his life  in Texas either.

Is Oz running in PA similar to Clinton running in NY? Any other examples you can think of?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 07:09:10 PM »

Hillary didn't live the majority of her life in Arkansas. She didn't move there until she was 28, and registered in New York 24 years later.

Also she didn't run there because it was politically advantageous; she could have won in Arkansas easily at that time, but there was no Senate race there that year and the Clintons planned to move to Chappaqua after Bill's presidency anyway.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 07:11:56 PM »

Hillary didn't live the majority of her life in Arkansas. She didn't move there until she was 28, and registered in New York 24 years later.

Also she didn't run there because it was politically advantageous; she could have won in Arkansas easily at that time, but there was no Senate race there that year and the Clintons planned to move to Chappaqua after Bill's presidency anyway.

But is it similar in the sense that she ran in a state with little to no ties and was a quote on quote "carpetbagger"?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »

No, because Hillary won.
Cyrusman
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 07:42:24 PM »

lol I'm asking is the concept the same in terms of running in a state with no ties. Her and Cruz were the first names that popped in my head.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 08:33:43 PM »

Not a terrible comparison.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 09:21:39 PM »

One could make the argument that Hillary had represented the people of New York as First Lady; afaik Oz has almost no connection at all to Pennsylvania before running.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 01:05:18 AM »

Patrick Morrisey in 2018 is probably the best recent comparison (down to the fact that he too flew in from NJ).
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 01:37:32 AM »

One could make the argument that Hillary had represented the people of New York as First Lady; afaik Oz has almost no connection at all to Pennsylvania before running.
Other than going to college there. But that's like me saying I'm Alabaman when I'm not really.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 01:52:24 AM »

No because it was implicit Hillary was doing it to remain a national figure and to have a major influence in the Democratic Party and politics.

Dr Oz isn’t.

People really underestimate how willing a lot of voters are to support national figures in their own state.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 03:04:46 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2022, 11:35:38 AM by Хahar 🤔 »

People really underestimate how willing a lot of voters are to support national figures in their own state.

Do people underestimate this? I feel like you'd need a number of data points to draw any sort of conclusion at all. The only other example I can recall of an individual who was already a national household name being parachuted into a state to which they had no connection and winning was Robert Kennedy in New York in 1964. (It seems self-evident that Mitt Romney doesn't count here, given his existing connections to Utah.) This practice simply isn't a feature of American political life. America is unique among Western democracies in having a meaningful taboo against politicians contesting elections in constituencies where they do not reside.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 06:35:21 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2022, 06:39:00 AM by Official Penguin Books Account »

Not really. In New York, Clinton was buoyed by partisanship and Oz's respective ties are actually stronger. New York is also a much easier state to carpetbag into than Pennsylvania, given the rarity of native-born pride in a state full of transplants. (See also: Florida and Arizona.) Oz also didn't have the muscle to clear the primary field the way Clinton did, which is still hurting him (through his own fault, at this point).

There is similarity in that both candidates are relying on their strongest opponent's poor health to win, though.

Ted Cruz is not a good comparison; I'm not even sure where you're getting this idea. He grew up in Texas from the age of 5 and attended schools there.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 08:22:31 AM »

No, Hillary was a prestigious, well-respected lawyer with lots of policy experience at the national level thanks to her cabinet-esque role as First Lady.  She put tremendous effort into visiting every corner of NY and learning all the local issues, and continues to live there to this day.

Dr. Oz is a charlatan who sells snake oil on TV.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »

Yes, but for some reason, New Yorkers liked Clinton over Lazio.

Lazio would not have been bad, he appealed to suburban Italian American Catholics and he would have done well in the post-9/11 response.

Spectator
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 03:40:22 PM »

He did underperform the fundamentals about as much as Hillary did. Shocker, people don’t like carpetbaggers. Take note Pete Butt
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »

He did underperform the fundamentals about as much as Hillary did. Shocker, people don’t like carpetbaggers. Take note Pete Butt

Why did Hillary win against a credible center-right suburban candidate like Lazio? He didn't have baggage like Rudy would of had....
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 10:40:44 PM »

Not sure how true that is.  I know they've said that, but it seems like b.s. to me.  I definitely could be wrong.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:49 PM »

Why did Hillary win against a credible center-right suburban candidate like Lazio? He didn't have baggage like Rudy would of had....

Split ticket voting was more common then than it is today, but it's really difficult to win as a Republican when the Democratic presidential candidate is carrying the state by 25 points.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 02:25:39 PM »

Hillary did terrible in 2000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies