Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should a married couple be force to remain together, even if one or both parties want to end the marriage?
I support forced marriage (D).

I oppose forced marriage (D).

I support forced marriage (R).

I oppose forced marriage (R).

I support forced marriage (I/O).

I oppose forced marriage (I/O).

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will?  (Read 1597 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« on: August 03, 2022, 01:13:30 PM »

No-fault divorce with kids involved is narcissistic hedonism. Make parents demonstrate good cause or wait until the kids are grown up.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 10:31:39 PM »

All the reasons stated by the red avatars in this thread are precisely why I support no-fault divorce when there are not minor children involved. That changes when minor children are involved. Minors lack both the rights and the corresponding responsibilities of adults, are not fully independent moral agents (and at a young age are hardly moral agents at all), and do not have the ability to provide for themselves independently. Adults have the ability to meaninfully improve their life situation through their own actions. Children do not. Thus it is incumbent upon the adults in their lives to make decisions that are in the best interests of the children. It is demonstrably very bad for the children involved for the parents to divorce without good cause. Thus, the state should restrict divorces involving minor children by requiring demonstration of good cause. I do not care one whit about religious beliefs about a "contract with God" or anything along those lines. My reasoning is entirely secular and is the natural conclusion when you value the well-being of the children over the desires of the parents. Rights come with responsibilities, and marriage is no exception.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies