Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should a married couple be force to remain together, even if one or both parties want to end the marriage?
I support forced marriage (D).

I oppose forced marriage (D).

I support forced marriage (R).

I oppose forced marriage (R).

I support forced marriage (I/O).

I oppose forced marriage (I/O).

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Do you believe people should be forced to remain married against their will?  (Read 1660 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« on: August 02, 2022, 11:04:25 AM »

Divorce being easily accessible for any reason is an important Hallmark of any free society
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 12:46:38 PM »

Dishonest poll.  Did New York State have "forced marriage" until 2010? 

It did, yes. Not sure what the argument otherwise would be

And having to demonstrate fault in divorce cases is not "forced marriage."  Marriage is an agreement people freely enter into; if they later want to get out of it, there is nothing onerous about making them demonstrate a justified reason.  You have to do the same to get out of rental leases, sales agreements, mortgages, employment contracts, etc. 

Ideally, divorce should be processed as an adversarial civil action with one party having to demonstrate fault or culpability of the other.  There are many justified reasons for divorce - adultery, abandonment, felony, abuse, etc.  Judges need to hear these reasons and the totality of circumstances surrounding the dissolution of a marriage if they are going to fairly determine alimony, maintenance, property division, child custody, etc.   
You can generally get out of a contract if both parties mutually consent to termination, and you certainly don't need to show the state a reason. Why do you think the rules for divorce should be so radically different than the other types of agreement you listed?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 01:43:17 PM »

No-fault divorce with kids involved is narcissistic hedonism. Make parents demonstrate good cause or wait until the kids are grown up.
There are no circumstances where forcing parents to stay together against their will when kids are involved isn't cruel to the kids
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies