America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:11:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Poll
Question: Should I switch to using Fox News for this Part of the TL
Stick to CNN

Switch to Fox News

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President  (Read 28372 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2022, 03:23:36 PM »

I wonder what the uninsured rates will look like.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2022, 02:18:43 AM »

Former President Bill Clinton talks about how he has adjusted into role of being the First Gentleman:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmh9p1rlkQk

King: President Clinton what has it been like to be back at the White House but except this time in a very different role and what is exactly your role as First Gentleman

Clinton: Well Larry , I would say my first priority is to give my wife , President Hillary Clinton all the personal support she needs as I can tell you the job is extremely stressful and having personal support is definitely important in making sure you can be as effective a president as our nation needs.

King: How would you assess you wife's presidency to yours at the same point. Many have said it has been a far more successful start than yours which many said was a failure

Clinton: Well I would not say my start was a failure as we did get a good deal done but yes Hillary's start so far is much better. Now the reason why I think is multitude of reasons and that is having experience in Washington definitely helps in getting bills passed congress, and her passion for the important issues facing our nation has resonated very well with the public which I can tell you is very important in passing an agenda. The fact that Healthcare Reform is now a reality unlike in 1993 is something that will really help out poor and working families in our nation and it is a huge accomplishment from Hillary

King: Thanks for coming on former President Clinton

Clinton: Anytime Larry

Secretary of State Sam Nunn Speaks out in favor of the Iranian Protesters:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Cycn2vRpk

Nunn: Over the past week we have seen the people of Iran rise up against a tyrannical regime that has oppressed the people in Iran for decades and I want the protesters to know that we stand with you in your effort to help move Iran to become a nation that has free and fair elections and where human rights are respected.

Media Member 1: Secretary Nunn is there anything the administration has to say to the government of Iran

Nunn: Listen what we would say is that protesting against a government is a basic human and that we will not tolerate a crackdown of those protests one bit. Instead we will offer an alternative where if you work with the protesters to move towards a more democratic system where basic individual rights are protected, we will reduce the sanctions we have placed against you, but if you crack down on them we will increase the severity of those sanctions. Anyway I will not be taking any more questions so thank you.

BigVic
Australia

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2022, 10:51:44 PM »

Former President Bill Clinton is still addressed as “President Clinton” and not “FGOTUS” or “First Gentleman Bill Clinton”
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2022, 02:10:33 AM »

Breaking News : West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin wins Special Election to fill out the rest of Vice President's Rockefeller's term in the senate:

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joe_Manchin_official_portrait_112th_Congress.jpg

Brown: The polls have closed in West Virginia so lets now go to Wolf to get some news about the special senate election in West Virginia

Blitzer: Yes Campbell and that is CNN can now project that Joe Manchin the Democratic Governor of West Virginia will be the next senator of West Virginia defeating Businessman John Raese. Now this result is no surprise as Joe Manchin is a very popular governor in West Virginia and he was expected by all the polls to easily win this race. Due to this , now Senator-Elect Manchin will serve out the rest of Vice President Jay Rockefeller's term in the senate which will last till January of 2015.

Breaking News: FBI arrest Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich for his attempt to buy Senator Obama's Seat:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_KwyvMAH4

Blitzer: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is Governor Blagojevich has been arrested by the FBI on multiple counts of corruption and we are told one of those charges is the fact that he has attempted to buy the senate seat of Supreme Court Barack Obama. We are told he has asked for his wife to be put on a corporate board, be given a substantial salary for himself in exchange for the appointment. We are told that he has also been under investigation from the FBI for other matters related to corruption as well and this matter only further adds to the legal troubles the Illinois Governor is in.

Senator Barack Obama in response to this has called on Governor Blagojevich to resign and has Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has called for a special election to be held if Senate Obama ends up being confirmed rather than having who he called a disgraced governor be in charge of it. So Jeffrey is there likely anything that can be done to stop an appointment

Toobin: Probably not given Illinois Law gives the Governor full power to fill any vacancy and while they can change the law they likely wont have enough to override a veto as Republicans probably would want to face a tainted Democrat in next year's election anyway.

Blitzer: Ok Thanks Jeffrey

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2022, 02:18:28 AM »

The Nomination of Senator Obama wins approval of Senator Lindsey Graham after tough questioning at hearing

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS6t7hZnXL8

Cooper: Despite days of tough questioning by the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Obama had his nomination approved by the committee where it now will go to the senate for a full vote. With us now is Senator Lindsey Graham who was a big skeptic of the nomination of Senator Obama first but did vote to approve it. So Senator what made you change your mind

Graham: Well I never said I was against it Wolf, all I said was I was skeptical of someone who had no judicial experience or someone who never a state attorney general or even DA becoming a Supreme Court Justice and thats what I took into the questioning.

Cooper: Ok then what made you say become sold on his nomination

Graham: Well the fact is I and many other senators both Democrat and Republican asked Senator Obama many tough questions and not only did he show that he has a brilliant legal mind which we all expected but he did show that he would be able to handle to job of an Associate Justice. Once that became clear I think the job of the committee was over and we sent the nomination to the floor where I intend to vote to confirm the nomination of Senator Obama to the Supreme Court .

Cooper: Last Question, will the senate let Governor Blagojevich who was impeached last week just pick anyone given what he did

Graham: Listen the fact is the impeachment trial of Governor Blagojevich is set to start a week from today and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has also indicated that we wont be holding a vote on the confirmation vote until at least a day after the trial is completed to ensure that an impeached Governor cannot appoint the Senator of Illinois until after the trial is completed .

Cooper: Ok thanks for coming on Senator

Graham: Anytime Anderson

Breaking News: Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich removed from office after being unanimously convicted by Illinois State Senate

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIq6Al7wdk0

Blitzer: Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich has been removed from office after being unanimously convicted in his impeachment trial in the state senate and after being convicted was also barred from holding any office in Illinois state or local politics ever again. As a result of this Illinois Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn will become the new Governor of the State of Illinois and also fill the seat of Senator Barack Obama if hes confirmed to the Supreme Court.

Senator Barack Obama gets easily confirmed to the Supreme Court

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BarackObama2005portrait_(cropped).jpg

Blitzer: The Senate today voted overwhelmingly to confirm the nomination of Barack Obama to the Supreme Court with every Democrat with the exception of Barack Obama who was not present for the confirmation vote for himself and a little more than 36% of Republicans voting for the confirmation of Barack Obama to the Supreme Court. This meant that Barack Obama was confirmed to the Supreme Court by a 69-30 vote and we are told he will be sworn in soon by Associate Justice John Paul Stevens.

Soon to be Justice Obama also sent in his resignation papers which will take effect immediately meaning his Illinois senate seat will now be vacant until Governor Quinn appoints someone to his seat.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2022, 01:37:18 AM »

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn appoints state attorney general Lisa Madigan to Justice Obama’s vacant senate seat

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iup63Dqeftc

Blitzer : Illinois Governor unsurprisingly has announced that he’d be filling the vacated Illinois senate seat with state attorney general Lisa Madigan who is the highest state wide elected democrat in the state right now other than Dan Quinn himself . Her father Mike Madigan is the long time speaker of the Illionis assembly and was a vocal opponent of the now disgraced former governor Rod Blagojevich despite being part of the same party .

Borger : Yah though keep in mind that Mike Madigan is a very polarizing figure in Illinois so this appointment may potentially make this race competitive next fall . Something else to keep in mind is that Mrs. Madigan probably will have less power than she would if she ran for governor next  year like people expected before Governor Quinn became governor so I would say it’s something to keep in mind .

President Clinton open to negotiations with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev but McCain era polices towards Russia to be kept in place until then :

Clinton: After months of careful review we have decided to keep the previous administrations policy towards Russia for now as one we believe it is very important to ensure stability in Eastern Europe but it does not mean we are not open to negotiations. In those negotiations we will be willing to change some of these policies but in return we do expect Russia to get less aggressive towards its neighbors and to stop backing some of the worst regimes in the world as well.

Media Member 1: Like what regimes and to what extend

Clinton: Well that is something that would be discussed in a potential negotiation and it would not be
something productive to talk about now. Thank You, I wont be taking any questions

Former Republican Nominee and Texas Senator George W Bush announces he will be running to be once again the Governor of Texas :

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jHeTBAXsM

Brown: Earlier today Texas Senator and former Republican Nominee , George W Bush announced that he would be running to be once again the Governor of Texas. Currently that seat is held by Democratic Governor Max Sandlin and many top Republicans are vying the job from Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson to Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott but polls do show Senator Bush easily leading over the rest of his Republican opponents.

According to people close to the Senator , he liked being a governor far better than being a senator and looks forward to returning to that job except this time almost certainly having a Republican Legislature .
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2022, 12:55:32 PM »

Lmao, the Blago saga still happened. Wonder whether Quinn still holds on in 2010 here.

Justice Obama sounds great, though that probably removes him as presidential contender forever.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2022, 02:10:57 PM »

Lmao, the Blago saga still happened. Wonder whether Quinn still holds on in 2010 here.

Justice Obama sounds great, though that probably removes him as presidential contender forever.
All true what you are saying here but I think Madigan has a far, far better chance hanging onto the Seat as if Quinn appointed a Placeholder, which he did in the OTL.

Madigan is favoured no matter whom Republicans run here. She would even beat Kirk handily.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »

Breaking News: Long Time Senator Ted Kennedy Passes Away From Brain Cancer

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ted_Kennedy,_official_photo_portrait_crop.jpg

Blitzer: We have some sad news to report to you and that is long time Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy has passed away due to brain cancer. Senator Kennedy served the state of Massachusetts for 47 years and was known as the lion of the senate given he has authored hundreds of bills that became enacted into law and co sponsored hundreds more and despite being the most prominent liberal in the senate he had a good relationship with many Republican Senators as well who he worked with to pass legislation from time to time. He also was the last living brother of Former President John F Kennedy and over the decades Senator Kennedy paid tribute to his brother and viewed himself as hopefully carrying on his great legacy. Ok lets now go to the White House where President Clinton is making a statement

Clinton: Bill and I are saddened to hear of the passing of Ted Kennedy who truly was one of the all time greats and despite his nearly 5 decades in politics never forgot what his job was and that is to do all he could to improve the lives of the people of Massachusetts and he truly has done so and also done so in his long career. Throughout the decades no issue animated Senator Kennedy more than ensuring we could finally live in a country where every American can have access to healthcare, and while there were many bumps on the way he never stopped fighting and its thanks to him more than really anyone for the multiple pieces of legislation our nation has passed over the past few decades to continue to move us closer and closer to that goal. 

On a personal note, for 8 years I saw up and front as his colleague in the senate his passions for a multitude of issues as well as his willingness to work with anyone to help improve our nation . Our nation will truly miss having a lion like Senator Kennedy in the senate and I want to offer our personal as well as our nation's condolences to the Kennedy family in this difficult time for them.

Blitzer: Former President McCain also reacted by releasing this message

McCain: Cindy and I want to give our condolences to the Kennedy family for the sad passing of a truly great man like Ted Kennedy. As someone who served with Senator Kennedy in the senate for nearly 15 years, I saw his passion for doing right by his constituents every day and also his willingness to work with the other side in getting things done.  It was truly a great honor to work with Senator Kennedy over my time as a Senator and later as President and our nation will miss having someone like Ted Kennedy in the senate.

Blitzer: So now the question comes on who will fill the seat of the late Senator Ted Kennedy

Borger: Now of course Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts would be in charge of picking who his appointment would be but thanks to a law that was passed last year after the late Senator Kennedy's cancer diagnosis, he can only pick someone from a list of 3 names chosen by same party as Senator Kennedy and then a special election will be held within 4 months

Blitzer: Thanks Gloria, now we will take a break but we do want to let you know that later on we will have a two hour special tonight documenting the career of the late great Senator Ted Kennedy.

Former Democratic Nominee Michael Dukakis selected to temporarily fill the seat of the Late Senator Kennedy:

Blitzer: Governor Romney has selected Former Massachusetts Governor and 1988 Democratic Party Nominee for President Michael Dukakis to temporary fill the seat of the late Senator Ted Kennedy. Former DNC Chair Paul Kirk , and Deval Patrick his rival from 2006 all of whom due to the new law passed are not eligible to run in a special election . Governor Romney in a statement called Michael Dukakis a well respected figure in the state of Massachusetts and also scheduled an special election to be held on December 15th of this year with the primary to be held on November 3rd.

Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2022, 08:40:34 PM »

Breaking News: Long Time Senator Ted Kennedy Passes Away From Brain Cancer

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ted_Kennedy,_official_photo_portrait_crop.jpg

Blitzer: We have some sad news to report to you and that is long time Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy has passed away due to brain cancer. Senator Kennedy served the state of Massachusetts for 47 years and was known as the lion of the senate given he has authored hundreds of bills that became enacted into law and co sponsored hundreds more and despite being the most prominent liberal in the senate he had a good relationship with many Republican Senators as well who he worked with to pass legislation from time to time. He also was the last living brother of Former President John F Kennedy and over the decades Senator Kennedy paid tribute to his brother and viewed himself as hopefully carrying on his great legacy. Ok lets now go to the White House where President Clinton is making a statement

Clinton: Bill and I are saddened to hear of the passing of Ted Kennedy who truly was one of the all time greats and despite his nearly 5 decades in politics never forgot what his job was and that is to do all he could to improve the lives of the people of Massachusetts and he truly has done so and also done so in his long career. Throughout the decades no issue animated Senator Kennedy more than ensuring we could finally live in a country where every American can have access to healthcare, and while there were many bumps on the way he never stopped fighting and its thanks to him more than really anyone for the multiple pieces of legislation our nation has passed over the past few decades to continue to move us closer and closer to that goal. 

On a personal note, for 8 years I saw up and front as his colleague in the senate his passions for a multitude of issues as well as his willingness to work with anyone to help improve our nation . Our nation will truly miss having a lion like Senator Kennedy in the senate and I want to offer our personal as well as our nation's condolences to the Kennedy family in this difficult time for them.

Blitzer: Former President McCain also reacted by releasing this message

McCain: Cindy and I want to give our condolences to the Kennedy family for the sad passing of a truly great man like Ted Kennedy. As someone who served with Senator Kennedy in the senate for nearly 15 years, I saw his passion for doing right by his constituents every day and also his willingness to work with the other side in getting things done.  It was truly a great honor to work with Senator Kennedy over my time as a Senator and later as President and our nation will miss having someone like Ted Kennedy in the senate.

Blitzer: So now the question comes on who will fill the seat of the late Senator Ted Kennedy

Borger: Now of course Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts would be in charge of picking who his appointment would be but thanks to a law that was passed last year after the late Senator Kennedy's cancer diagnosis, he can only pick someone from a list of 3 names chosen by same party as Senator Kennedy and then a special election will be held within 4 months

Blitzer: Thanks Gloria, now we will take a break but we do want to let you know that later on we will have a two hour special tonight documenting the career of the late great Senator Ted Kennedy.

Former Democratic Nominee Michael Dukakis selected to temporarily fill the seat of the Late Senator Kennedy:

Blitzer: Governor Romney has selected Former Massachusetts Governor and 1988 Democratic Party Nominee for President Michael Dukakis to temporary fill the seat of the late Senator Ted Kennedy. Former DNC Chair Paul Kirk , and Deval Patrick his rival from 2006 all of whom due to the new law passed are not eligible to run in a special election . Governor Romney in a statement called Michael Dukakis a well respected figure in the state of Massachusetts and also scheduled an special election to be held on December 15th of this year with the primary to be held on November 3rd.

Dukakis becomes the oldest first time us senator
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2022, 08:54:29 PM »

Obama on the Supreme Court. Who’d replace him in the IL-SEN
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2022, 06:46:11 PM »

President Clinton calls for Paid Family and Paid Sick Leave Laws on Labor Day:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KQ9wj8liE

Cooper: President Clinton earlier today was in St Louis where she held a rally on Labor day and talked about a current legislative priority of ours.

Clinton: It is time , I mean it is long overdue for our nation to join the rest of not only the developed world but the vast majority of the world period in providing our workers with paid maternity and paternity leave. It is absolutely absurd that we make working mothers and working fathers all across this nation choose between taking care of their newborn baby and having the money to pay for their bills and it is a time we put a stop to that(Applause). It is why I have proposed requiring all businesses with 50 or more employees to provide their workers with 12 weeks of paid maternal leave and 6 weeks of paid paternal leave(Applause) and give small businesses a tax credit so their workers can also have paid time off to take care of their newborn baby(Applause).

We also must finally create paid sick leave laws in our nation as well. It is absurd for sick workers to have to go to work even though doing so could negatively impact their health and also the health of their coworkers which is why I have asked the congress to pass a law guaranteeing workers with 5 days of paid sick leave(Applause). Now I know passing such a bill may not be easy which is why I am asking all of you to contact your senators so we can pass such legislation into law(Applause).  

Electoral College Commission Proposes Potential Reforms to the Electoral System:

Blitzer: The electoral college research commission came out today and released 3 proposed reforms to our electoral system so John what are they.

King: So this is how their first reform would be like

Reform 1:

Breaks up Electoral College into these categories:

- Amount of EV allocated State by State + DC : Equal to # of House Seats each state has , and DC gets one EV.

- Amount of EV allocated by Region: Remaining EV except one are allocated proportionally based on the National Popular Vote with there being a 10% minimum to receive any EV

- Remaining 1 EV: Eliminated

2008 Results Under This System:

King: Now we have done a fun activity here by looking at how the 2008 election would have ended if we had this system then . We have broken out their electoral vote tally by the state by state tally and the amount they would have gotten as a share of the popular vote and this is what we would have gotten. As you can see President Clinton ends up winning the electoral college 276-261

Hillary Clinton: 225(State by State+ DC) + 51(Share of NPV) = 276
George Bush: 211(State by State) + 50(Share of NPV) = 261

King: Ok lets now move on to the next reform

Reform 2:

- Gives the National Popular Vote winner 15 Electoral votes

- If no candidate still wins a majority of the EV the election is thrown to the House of Representatives where each representative gets 1 Vote for President and Each Senator Gets a vote for Vice President.

2008 Results Under This System:

King: Here would be the 2008 election results in this system and you can See President Clinton ends up winning a majority of EV here

Hillary Clinton: 284
George W Bush: 269

King: Now lets move on to the next reform

Reform 3:

- If no candidate still wins a majority of the EV the election is thrown to the House of Representatives where each representative gets 1 Vote for President and Each Senator Gets a vote for Vice President

King: Under this system Hillary Clinton would win in the first ballot of the contingent election given Democrats hold more house seats.

Blitzer: Any roadblocks to potential reforms

King: Absolutely as in the first one the smaller states could argue it reduces their influence as keep in mind the remaining electoral votes under our current system went Bush with 58 and Clinton with 44 as in our current system each state gets 2 extra electoral votes. In the 2nd reform many would question given each state has its own voting rules if we really can say there is a national popular vote winner. With the 3rd scenario a problem that could come up is third party candidates could decide to only run in one particular state to try to deny either candidate a majority of electoral votes. Then what they can do is before the electors meet go to each candidate and then ask for a cabinet position in exchange for his or her electoral votes .

So each reform has its ups and downs but so does our current system so we will see what ends up happening.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »

The second proposal looks good, it was similar than the one I had in my TL (which ultimately failed, because I thought it was unrealistic to get passed). However, 15 electoral votes seems a somewhat small number. Of course, this only deals with the Clinton vs. Bush election here and even would have changed actual 2000, though a larger gap such as actual 2016 would still not be enough to "correct" the electoral vote overall.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2022, 02:19:50 PM »

The second proposal looks good, it was similar than the one I had in my TL (which ultimately failed, because I thought it was unrealistic to get passed). However, 15 electoral votes seems a somewhat small number. Of course, this only deals with the Clinton vs. Bush election here and even would have changed actual 2000, though a larger gap such as actual 2016 would still not be enough to "correct" the electoral vote overall.

Yah OTL 2000 was so extremely narrow that Gore would have won under reform 1 and 2 here given Bush won 30 states compared to Gore 20+ DC which means Bush 60-42 advantage from that would go to Gore having a 51-50 advantage which is more than enough to flip it.

OTL 2004 under reform 1 would be even closer cause Bush's 62-40 advantage would go down to 52-49 which would make the EV count Bush 276 Kerry 261

OTL 2016 under reform 1 would reduce Trump's 62-40 advantage to Clinton 52-49. So The overall EV count would be Trump 293 and Clinton 244.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2022, 02:49:04 AM »

Former President McCain's first Interview since leaving the White House:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dLOlajDZY

King: President McCain, after 26 years in politics which of course included 8 as President how does it feel no longer to be in the middle of things. Do you miss it or are you happy to be retired

McCain: Larry I would be lying to you if I said it was not both as I can tell you being there every day fighting for people was an honor and I do miss that because we do face many problems but at the same time it is a relief to not have all this stress on you day in and day out.

King: Lets get right into it, as many are interested to here your thoughts on what is currently going on in Iran and what you think the United States should be done.

McCain: Well it is an inspiring sight to see so many Iranians stand up for freedom and I truly hope they can help move their nation in that direction. As for what should be done, I can tell you that President Clinton and Secretary Nunn have done a fine job in making it clear that the US will stand up for these protesters to have the ability to express their views as well with their carrot and stick approach they have taken. Now as for what we exactly should do , I can't really tell you that since now that I am no longer president I no longer receive daily intelligence briefings , meet with the national security council, meet with ambassadors, meet with the Secretary of State and frankly it would be irresponsible to say what you would do without having that sort of information first.

What I can tell though is if I think the overall approach has been good and I will tell you it has and now all we can do is hope that the policy works as well.

King: As someone who was in the Senate when Bill Clinton first was President back in 1993, what do you think has made President Hillary Clinton more successful so far in passing her agenda

McCain: Well I think the fact is they are a lot more experienced today then they were back in 1993 and I can tell you that definitely helps.

King: Well then if that is the case why are Republicans seem to be struggling in putting up opposition to President Hillary Clinton now compared to back in 1993 despite having more house and senate seats than they did back then and also having experienced being in power while in 1993 Republicans had not experienced power in decades in the house, and 7 years in the senate.

McCain: Well first is we have not had much experience being in the minority given we controlled both houses of congress for 14 consecutive years and as someone who has been in both the minority and majority , I can tell you those are two very different tasks. When you are in the majority you control all the committee chairs, and get to focus on pushing your agenda while when you are in minority you do not. In the Minority your job is to do your best to stop the worst parts of the majority's agenda and that can be done through amendments, convincing enough members from the other side to force a larger compromise or even trying to stop some bills from passing. So both are very different jobs

Now while many would say the same is true for the Democrats in reverse but keep in mind having the White House helps you greatly in pushing your agenda and this time Democrats come in with far more experience on that front than they did back in 1993.

King: So Do you think this hurts your party's chances going into 2010

McCain: Listen it is right now way to early to talk about 2010 but I am confident that we will take back the house though the senate will be more difficult.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2022, 02:53:36 AM »

Senate passes Education Reform Bill after Democrats agree to Republican Amendments

Brown: The Senate today agreed to a deal on Education after the President and Senate Democrats agreed to include four major Republican amendments to the President's proposal and they are

Amendments to the President Proposal:

Additions:
- Requires Students to be tested in Math and English every year from 3rd to 8th grade to let parents know where their kids are at

- Requires High School Students to Pass a Civics Exam along with the Math and English Exam in order to graduate

- Requires Schools to give a timely response to parents about their kid's progress in school

Modifications:

- Require every public school in a state to have the same quality access to textbooks, school supplies and technology

Brown: As you can see they one introduce standardized testing to the education system in many ways which is similar to the proposal put out by Senator Bush on the campaign trail last year with one major difference and that is from 3rd to 8th grade the standardized tests wont be used to assess schools as well but rather just let parents know how their kid is doing. Which brings us to our next point as this bill will require teachers to timely respond to parents who request a copy of their child's material as well as how they are doing in a middle of a term as well .

Lastly this bill amended the proposal that required every public school to have the same access to textbooks to same quality access meaning districts can have different textbooks as long as they meet a certain criteria.  This bill though in the end caused pretty large bipartisan support as 3/4th of the senate ended up voting for this bill.

2009 Election Preview :

Blitzer: Next Tuesday is the first major set of elections of the Hillary Clinton Presidency and the 4 races we will be following are

New York Senate : Former Governor George Pataki(R) vs Attorney Caroline Kennedy(D) - Lean Democratic Gain

New York City Mayoral : Congressman Vito Fossella(R) vs Businessman Donald Trump(D)- Lean Democratic Gain

New Jersey Gubernatorial: Governor Richard Codey(D) vs State Senator Tom Kean Jr(R) Vs Former State EPA Commissioner Chris Daggett(I) - Tossup

Virginia Gubernatorial:  State Senator Creigh Deeds(D) Vs Congressman Tom Davis(R) - Safe Republican Gain

Blitzer: Let's go over to John King now at the magic wall to see some key things we will be looking for.

King: Well first thing first lets look at some of the polling for what we have and as we can see in Virginia Congressman Davis leads by 20+ in the average of the polls which is why we have classified that as solid Republican. The next race and probably the closest race in the cycle is the race between Governor Codey and State Senator Kean and right now the polling shows it petty much dead even. So what are some keys. Well I will say first we have to look at the margins as it is critical in Republican Counties like Morris, Monmouth , and Ocean that Mr. Kean get over 60% of the vote there while in place Essex and Hudson Governor Codey get over 60%. So then the next thing we will look at are some bellwether counties like Bergen and Middlesex to see who wins and if those split then we will be in for a very long night.

Blitzer; What about New York where President Clinton just yesterday did a joint rally for Caroline Kennedy and Donald Trump in Brooklyn

King: Well New York is interesting as its a solidly blue state and city but George Pataki is the former governor of that state and Republicans have held the mayoral office for the past 16 years. So originally both races were really tight though recent polls show Mr. Trump up by 6 points and Mrs. Kennedy up by 7 so what will we being looking for. One thing is how does the close Mayoral race effect the Senatorial Race because if they mirror each other , Governor Pataki will be going to the United States Senate for the next 3 years but that will not happen and a good barometer to look at is can Mrs. Kennedy get around 2/3 of the vote in New York City cause if she does she will be the next senator of the state and our poll shows her right now getting nearly 70% which is why she is up.

Blitzer: What about for the Mayoral race

King : That is interesting cause if you bring up the race from 4 years ago Mayoral Bloomberg won in a landslide winning 4 of the 5 boroughs but this time we know for sure Manhattan will almost certainly vote for Donald Trump so the question comes down to who wins Queens and Brooklyn cause its very hard for me to see Congressman Fossella winning unless he wins both.

Blitzer: We will be watching it along with the Massachusetts Senate Primary
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2022, 01:51:56 PM »

I wonder where President Hillary Clinton is during Election Night 2009? At the WH? In NYC at the Trump/Kennedy Victory Rally?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2022, 07:20:15 PM »

I wonder where President Hillary Clinton is during Election Night 2009? At the WH? In NYC at the Trump/Kennedy Victory Rally?

She is at the White House though she did do a joint rally for them in the last week of the campaign.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2022, 01:28:52 AM »

CNN: Election Night in America 2009

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCRljbj7L8

7:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_U0FyRwvU

Brown: Welcome to CNN's coverage of the 2009 Off Year elections where we will cover all the major races for tonight as well as talk about what type of message are the voters sending with this result . First though lets send it to Wolf as CNN can make our first projection of tonight

Blitzer: Yes Campbell the polls have just closed in Virginia and CNN can now project that Congressman Tom Davis will be the next Governor of Virginia as he will easily defeat his democratic opponent Creigh Deeds tonight and while that was expected, it does mark a flip for the Republicans. Now lets look at the map and keep in mind we will be coloring in New York State for whatever the results of the Mayoral race is so it is easier for viewers at home to follow. Ok back to you Campbell

Brown: So while this is not a surprise this is big news

Gergen: Oh it is and I think the fact that it was called at poll closing times shows that despite some of the struggles the Republicans have been facing the past year, they are still a pretty strong party.

Borger: I agree with David here and I think this is no surprise as keep in mind the Democrats barely took back the house after 14 years in the wilderness in last year's election and of course the presidential race was a tie which that the democratic house broke in favor of President Clinton.

8:00

Blitzer: The polls have closed in Massachusetts and CNN now project that Former Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor Jane Swift will be the Republican Nominee for the Senate Race to replace the late Senator Kennedy in the senate and currently the Democratic Race is too early to call but we can say for sure it will either be State Attorney General Martha Coakley or Representative Mike Capuano.

The polls have also closed in New Jersey and CNN at this moment is unable to make a call in its gubernatorial race as that race is just too close to call according to our exit polls.

8:40

Blitzer: CNN Can now project that State Attorney General Martha Coakley will defeat Representative Mike Capuano to become the Democratic nominee for the Senate Race to replace the late Senator Kennedy in the senate which will be held next month. So Far around a fifth of the vote as been counted in New Jersey and right now the Republican Tom Kean leads but its much too early. Ok Campbell back to you

Brown: So Paul how are the results so far

Begala: Well I will say they have gone like the polls have shown and I do want to point out that in every election since 1977 the party that has controlled the White House has lost Virginia, and in New Jersey it has been true since 1989. So I don't think these results say much about the state of play as I would more or less be interested to see how the New York Results go particularly the senate race to gauge where the state of play is.

Bennett: I think sure parties tend to overrate victories , they also tend to underrate loses and Paul here is beginning to do the second. The fact is given how small the Democratic Party's house majority is they basically will have to do something that has only been done twice in the modern era and that is win a midterm.

Begala: Yes and may I point out that the Democrats in 1997 and Republicans in 2001 lost both these gubernatorial seats and then ended up making gains in 1998 and 2002 so I will say lets see more before judging

9:00:

Blitzer: The polls have closed in New York and currently we are unable to make a projection in either the Senatorial or Mayoral race. Currently in New Jersey around a quarter of the vote is in and so far the Republican Tom Kean still leads. Back to you Campbell

Brown: Ok John so we have a quarter of the vote in so far in New Jersey, so how are the different counties coming in

King: Well Campbell , right now both Mr. Kean and Governor Codey are hitting their bench marks in their counties. For example in Morris County, Mr. Kean is getting around 63.5% of the vote which is very strong and in Ocean he is getting around 62.5% which is also very strong . On the other hand in Democratic strongholds like Essex county Governor Codey so far has 64% of the vote which again is a strong performance. So now some concerning news for the Governor is Union County while he is winning he is only up 5 which is not good at all but I want to stress that its early and these county numbers can change too.

10:13:

Blitzer: CNN Can now project that the Democrat Caroline Kennedy will defeat former New York Governor George Pataki and will finish the term that was held by President Clinton before she vacated the seat to assume the presidency. Due to this result this will be the new balance of the Senate:

Democrats: 54
Republicans: 46

In the other major race in New York, the race to be the mayor of the largest city in our nation, currently Businessman Donald Trump leads though only a quarter of the vote is in so far. Ok Campbell back to you

Brown: Thank Wolf, so John why was CNN able to predict this race for Caroline Kennedy given the overall count between Mrs. Kennedy and Governor Pataki seems very close.

King: Well that is because more of the Republican Areas of the state particularly in upstate are in than the New York City area and here is a problem for Governor Pataki. When George Pataki won his 2 victories in New York State for Governor he would win upstate New York by massive margins, nearly 2:1 in 1994 and more than 3:1 in 1998 which he is not doing tonight and he just has not been able to do that and in New York City Mrs. Kennedy is winning more than 2:1 so far. Right now these results I would say look like the Democrats are headed for a high single digit to low double digit victory here and the race is actually reminding me of the 1998 senate race between in which Senator Schumer was able to knock of then Republican Senator Al'Dmato by 10 points.

Brown: What about the Mayoral race in New York City

King: Well currently Mr.Trump holds the lead over Congressman Fossella with a quarter of the vote in so now if we zoom into New York City and go over to each of the boroughs you can see some troubling signs for the Republican. First if you go over to Staten Island which is a place where Republicans must run up the total you can see Mr.Fossella is only getting around 60-61% of the vote while a Republican should get somewhere around 64 or 65% here so that is not good news. What is good news is in Manhattan a Democratic area so far is within single digits so right now you can see two underperformances in both candidates home turf. Though what is giving Mr.Trump so far the edge is if you look at Queens which is a borough the Democrats have not won in a mayoral race since 1985, is ahead and if that changes it is very hard to see how the Republicans can win. Keep in mind New York City is a very Democratic city so Democrats can afford to underperform in places but the Republicans just cannot and that is exactly what is happening.

Brown: Ok now lets go back to our team to talk about the impact of the New York Senate win

Begala: I would say it is a big win as the Democrats now need 6 Republican votes rather than 7 and that is big as that shifts the median senator one vote to the left. Currently Democrats must get the votes of Lincoln Chafee, Arlean Specter, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, Michael Steele and also get the vote of two of these 3 senators: Lisa Murkowski ,  Richard Lugar or Gordon Smith while now they will need to get one of those 3 which makes a big difference .

Brown: How big of a difference does needing one vs two make

Gergen: Oh it does make a difference cause if you are only one vote short you usually when Senators or on the fence , what gets them over that fence are different reasons and I can tell you its way easier to come up with a compromise for one senator than two .

Bennett: I would agree with David here but I might like to add its very possible that one of those 5 senators move into the on the fence category now that they can see they can extract more concessions than they usually would have gotten so things may not seem as easy as they seem.

11:08:

Blitzer: CNN can now project that Donald Trump , the Business Tycoon , will become the next mayor of New York as with 45% of the vote in Mr. Trump has increased his lead to 7-8 points and our team has determined that it is insurmountable at this point which is why we are able to call that race for Donald Trump.  In New Jersey more than 70% of the vote is in and Mr. Kean still leads by 5 points and while that lead has dropped it is good news for him

Blitzer: Campbell back to you

Brown: With us now is DNC Chairwomen Kirsten Gillibrand to react to the results so far. So Representative Gillibrand , what do you think of the results so far

Gillibrand: Well so far we are really excited about the fact that we were able to win that Senate Seat in my state as not only will Caroline Kennedy be a great senator, but the fact is her win will enable the senate do do more on issues such as parental leave which is very important. We are also excited by the fact that we have taken back the mayoral office in the biggest city in our nation and it is my hope now with a Democratic Mayor in Donald Trump and a Democratic City Council, the city can make the changes it needs to improve the lives of all the people who live there.

Brown: What about the results in Virginia and New Jersey

Gillibrand: Listen the results in Virginia were really disappointing but Representative Tom Davis is a very popular figure in the state of Virginia so it is no surprise that he ended up winning big tonight. As for New Jersey , I can tell you that I am not ready to concede to the fact that Governor Codey will end up losing but if we do lose it does tell us the importance of having a united party because if we were united , Governor Codey would have been reelected for sure.

Brown: Ok thanks for coming on now. So John Does Governor Codey have a chance

King: Well I would say the biggest problem for Governor Codey is currently he is losing Bergen County a bellwether county in the state of New Jersey to the Republican Tom Kean Jr and it is very hard for me to see Governor Codey being reelected if this holds. I will say though I agree with Representative Gillibrand here as I can tell you the divisions that plagued the state Democratic party over the past 4 years and in this campaign put them in this situation they are now in where they could be losing this race. Also some last minute campaigning by Former President McCain for Mr. Kean did help as well.

11:52:

Blitzer: CNN Can now make a Projection for the New Jersey Governor's race and that is we can project the Republican Tom Kean Jr will unseat Democratic Governor Richard Codey to be the next governor of that state.

Blitzer: Ok now lets send it back to Campbell so we can get our final thoughts from our election night panel

Brown: So Paul what do you think of this loss

Begala: Listen it is very disappointing but not surprising given how divided the party has been in New Jersey and how strong a campaign the Republican Tom Kean Jr ran and I applaud him . As for the night as a whole I would say the fact that we overperformed the polls in the New York Senate race was big and is some good news for us.

Bennett: Listen I do not know how you can call this night a win for anybody but the Republicans. Yes people are caught up on the New York results but keep in mind its New York the Democrats should be winning those races easily and the fact is they did not so I would say these results portend good news for our party

Gergen: I think tonight was a mixed night cause Democrats yes won the races that got the most attention but the Republicans won the closest race of the night as well so the night itself is mixed. Now where it can benefit the Democrats is the fact with one extra senate seat, it should at least on paper be easier to pass more of the President's agenda which they then can take into the midterm campaign next year. So I will say the winner of tonight comes down to how important the victory by Caroline Kennedy was cause if does end up being important than it is a win for the Democrats, if not I would say a win for the Republicans.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2022, 07:03:44 PM »

Breaking News: Major Nidal Hasan murders 14 People and Injures 30 more in Terrorist Attack at Fort Hood

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viBsxId0Q0M

Blitzer: We have some sad news to report and that is that there has been a terrorist attack at Fort Hood Army base which is located near Kileen, Texas. The perpetrator of the attack , Major Nidal Hassan has been captured but not before he managed to kill 14 people and injured 30 more in a mass shooting. Mr. Hassan we are told will be subject to the jurisdiction of Uniform Code of Military Justice given he was a member of the military but the FBI we are told will also be investigating the attack to find out if he was the sole perpetrator or not. The President Also released this statement

Clinton: Today's attack at Fort Hood were a sad and stark reminder of the evils the scourge of terrorism can cause and why we must always remain vigilant in our fight against terrorism. As the commander in chief of our great military it also saddens me to know this attack was perpetrated by one of our own , and I want to let the families of the victims know that he along with anyone else who may have taken part in this attack will be brought to justice and punished for this despicable act. I also want to on behalf of our nation let the families of the victims know that our nation will be praying for you in what must be a horrible time. May God Bless the victims of this attack and all their families.

House Passes Senate version of Education Bill and President Clinton signs into law:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNS5-pwSVrQ

Cooper: The House Earlier Today passed the Senate version of the Bipartisan Educational Reform Act in an overwhelming fashion getting support not only from Democrats but a good deal of Republicans as well. As soon as the bill was passed by the House, the President signed it into law in the oval office meaning the bill is officially now law. Here are some of the major provisions of this new law

Main Provisions:
- Have Teacher Pay in Low Income Districts be higher than the ones in Affluent Districts to attract best teachers to those schools

- Increase amount of Teachers in General to reduce classroom sizes

- Require every public school in a state to have the same quality access to textbooks, school supplies and technology

- Increase student's access to after school tutoring to help struggling kids out

- Increase funding for special needs programs to ensure kids who require special education programs can need it

- Requires Students to be tested in Math and English every year from 3rd to 8th grade to let parents know where their kids are at

- Requires High School Students to Pass a Civics Exam along with the Math and English Exam in order to graduate(Provision to first go into place for the Class of 2012)

- Requires Schools to give a timely response to parents about their kid's progress in school

Cooper: So Bill as a former Education Secretary what do you think of the Bill

Bennett : Well I will say the fact that we have added a testing provision to the bill makes the bill a good bill and worth passing as the fact is we need accountability in our education system. Currently it is very hard to find out where our kids really are at until it is too late and this lets us find out as early on as in 3rd grade which is good. While there parts of the bill that I am not in favor of I think these provisions make it worth it.

Cooper: A Question many of our viewers have is that since the states and cities control usually things such as teacher pay and graduation requirements , how will these provisions be enforced

Bennett: Well every state and municipality receives money from the department of education and what this bill will do is require these provisions to be implemented in order for those states and municipalities to receive Department of Education money .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2022, 05:56:06 PM »

Martha Coakley Wins Senate Race in surprisingly close contest

Cooper : Ok we will interrupt regular programming to go to Wolf for an update about the Massachusetts Special Election

Blitzer : Yes Anderson and that is CNN can now project the Democrat Martha Coakley will be the next senator of the state of Massachusetts . While this is no surprise what is a surprise is at this moment Martha Coakley is only up in this solidly Democratic state by 7 points over her Republican opponent Jane Swift which is far closer than many expected . So John what does a close race like this say

King : Well it says that Mrs.Coakley ran a bad campaign as frankly a democrat does not only win a state like Massachusetts by single digits unless they run a bad campaign or it shows that Jane Swift ran a really good one . My guess is you have not heard the last of Jane Swift and it’s very possible she runs for this seat again when this seat is up for a full term in 2012.

Blitzer: Ok Anderson Back to you

Clinton's Approvals Remain positive at Year's End and other polls:

Brown: President Clinton's Approvals at the end of this year ends on a a high note with her approvals hoovering around 55% and the Democrats up in the generic ballot .

Hillary Clinton's Approvals:

Approve: 55%(+1%)
Disapprove: 42%(-2%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats : 45%
Republicans: 42%
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2022, 08:36:44 PM »

Democrats should not be too concerned about the close Massachusetts Senate Special Election.
This Race was more about Martha Coakley being a terrible Candidate then the Democratic Party as a whole.

Of Course Bill Bennet will use this Race to make an elephant out of a mouse like he always does and say Democrats are doomed in 2010 and beyond.
Duke of York

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2022, 09:56:19 AM »

New York Mayor Donald Trump as a Democrat? That will be interesting.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2022, 03:51:56 AM »

Trump in 2016 as a Democrat will be fun
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2022, 04:23:43 AM »

So Clinton got Education and Infrastructure.

OSR, are the uninsured rates going to be lower since the plan passed seems a bit larger?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies