America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:30:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Poll
Question: Should I switch to using Fox News for this Part of the TL
Stick to CNN

Switch to Fox News

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: America's Maverick Part 2: Madame President  (Read 27287 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2022, 11:50:40 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2022, 12:13:28 AM by Old School Republican »

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hillary_Clinton_official_Secretary_of_State_portrait_crop.jpg

Part 1 can be found in this link: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=382053.0

I still have a three more updates left in Part 1 but until then I do have a poll question. Since I have used NBC and CNN in all my TL's up to this point, how would it seem to use Fox News for this part. Now the main anchors I will use for this will be Bret Bair , Megyn Kelly and Chris Wallace so would you guys be interested in this switch or should I just stick with CNN.
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 09:33:02 AM »

Just let her be a two-term President please!
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 07:33:51 AM »

Hillary winning 2008 in such a close election (via the House) but has a friendly Congress to deal with
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 08:37:43 AM »

Just let her be a two-term President please!

I think that what's going to happen and W tries again in 2016 and wins.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:45 PM »

Really looking forward to this. OSR writes beautifully!

I think Hillary will govern more like a Centrist like her husband did from 1995-2000.

With an evenly divided Congress there is not much she can pass which actually will help her during her first Term and makes her less attackable from the left.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »

The Inauguration of Hillary Rodham Clinton

Speaker Nancy Pelosi comments on the inauguration of President-Elect Clinton

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDJtOluCWo

Blitzer: Speaker Pelosi what is your reaction to President Hillary Clinton being sworn in

Pelosi: Well I have many reactions , one is excitement about the fact that our nation will finally be getting its first female president and this in my opinion will send a message to every kid in our great country that they can be whatever the dream of being no matter whether they are a boy or a girl. Number two it also shows how far we have come in our country in just 100 years as remember a century ago women did not even have the right to vote let alone have the opportunity to lead a country as powerful as ours.

Blitzer: Any policies you excited about

Pelosi: Of course given for the first time in over 14 years we will have unified control of Washington and I am excited of what we can do with on issues like Healthcare, Childcare and having a President who has clearly been passionate about those issues like President-Elect Hillary Clinton will be big.

Blitzer: Ok thank you and enjoy the inauguration

President Hillary Clinton gives her inaugural speech after being sworn in:

Source: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Eg2WEW5XvzM/maxresdefault.jpg

Rockefeller being sworn in by Justice Stevens:

Stevens: Mr. Senator, put up your right hand and repeat after me

Rockefeller: I, John Davison Rockefeller, do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

Stevens: Congratulations, Mr. Vice President

Clinton sworn in by Chief Justice Scalia:

Scalia: Mrs. Senator , put up your right hand and repeat after me

Clinton: I, Hillary Rodham Clinton, do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

Scalia: Congratulations, Mrs. President

Excepts of President Clinton's Inaugural Speech:

Clinton: Mr. Chief Justice, President McCain, President Clinton, President Bush, President Carter, distinguished guests , every 4 years ago we gather on the steps of our capital to celebrate our democracy and to show the world how great it is(Applause). On many occasions this ceremony marks a transition of power not only from one party to another but from one set of ideas to another and on this occasion I want to thank President McCain for all the hard work he did to make sure one of the most unusual transition periods in our history could be as smooth as possible and I also want to thank a man who has given decades of his life in service to our country and I hope all of you join me in giving him a round of applause(Applause). This occasion though is just not a time of celebration but also a time where we accept the duty of facing the challenges that our nation faces and overcoming them(Applause) .

Today we face many challenges from an economy still recovering from a recession, to ensuring the success of democracy all across the world and too dealing with the issue of global warming and while they may not seem easy I am confident that we can overcome them(Applause). It though is important though that we not only ensure our economy continues to recover from recession but also to ensure that we can have a system that makes it easier for mothers to raise their kids, for Americans who are unable to get healthcare be able to as doing so will create a nation that is more prosperous than it ever has been before(Applause). It is important when facing any challenge that not only you overcome it but in doing so make yourself stronger than you had been before and that is something we have done throughout our history and something I believe we will keep doing long after all of us are gone(Applause).

On that topic though it is why it is critical we continue our work to promote democratic ideals across the globe to make sure future generations have a more prosperous world to live in then the one we live in today(Applause). This by the way also includes continuing to improve our democracy here at home which is why one of my first executive orders as President will be to create a committee to research ways on how to improve the way we elect future Presidents(Applause) and also on how we can improve civic participation in our country as doing so will strengthen our democracy(Applause). Lastly to leave a better world for our kids and grandkids we must tackle the issue of global warming which is why I call on a national movement from the congress, to state legislature to businesses and to you the people to change how we consume our energy to ensure that we can create better lives for our kids while also protecting our planet(Applause). Thank You May God Bless You and May God Bless America 
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »

Very enjoyable Inauguration Excerpts.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 01:11:59 PM »

President Clinton signs the first 5 executive orders of her Presidency:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1PVmGMKf4

Executive Order 13456: Creates a commission to research and study ways to potentially reform the way the US elects Presidents

Executive Order 13457: Repeals President McCain's Mexico City Policy

Executive Order 13458: Repeals President McCain's order that any new proposed regulation do a cost-benefit analysis before its implementation and that the analysis be disclosed to the public

Executive Order 13459: Provides Federal Employees with 12 weeks of Paid Maternal Leave and 6 weeks of Paid Paternity Leave

Executive Order 13460: Notifies Federal Employees of their Employee Rights Under Federal Law

BigVic
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 04:34:26 AM »

Good start especially after such a close election. What does GWB do now
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 08:18:10 AM »

President Clinton signs the first 5 executive orders of her Presidency:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1PVmGMKf4

Executive Order 13456: Creates a commission to research and study ways to potentially reform the way the US elects Presidents

Executive Order 13457: Repeals President McCain's Mexico City Policy

Executive Order 13458: Repeals President McCain's order that any new proposed regulation do a cost-benefit analysis before its implementation and that the analysis be disclosed to the public

Executive Order 13459: Provides Federal Employees with 12 weeks of Paid Maternal Leave and 6 weeks of Paid Paternity Leave

Executive Order 13460: Notifies Federal Employees of their Employee Rights Under Federal Law

I disagree with the second one, but I like the realism and originality of these executive orders
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2022, 11:11:09 AM »

Good start especially after such a close election. What does GWB do now

I’ll make a update about that around the summer/fall 2009 portion of this TL
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »

First executive actions look pretty good. Maybe she can get federal law for paid family leave passed?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2022, 09:57:48 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2024, 03:23:39 AM by OSR stands with Israel »

All of President Clinton's Cabinet Members get confirmed by the Senate:

Blitzer: All of President Clinton's cabinet has now been confirmed and the vast majority in a pretty easy fashion . The only exception was Howard Dean who as you can see did not receive 60 senators but still was confirmed as we are told Senate Minority Leader Jon Kyl said he would not support such a move as he believes the filibuster should only be used for certain circumstances and this is not one of them.

Secretary of State: Sam Nunn Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Treasury: Gene Sperling Confirmed with 87 Ayes to 13 Nays

Secretary of Defense: John Hamre Confirmed Unanimously

Attorney General: Seth Waxman Confirmed with 86 Ayes to 14 Nays

Secretary of Interior: Mark Udall Confirmed with 75 Ayes to 25 Nays

Secretary of Agriculture: Tom Vilsack Confirmed with 96 Ayes to 4 Nays

Secretary of Commerce: Kathleen Sebelius Confirmed with 68 Ayes to 32 Nays

Secretary of Labor: Dick Gephardt Confirmed with 82 Ayes to 18 Nays

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Howard Dean Confirmed with 58 Ayes to 42 Nays  

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Shirley Franklin Confirmed with 77 Ayes to 23 Nays

Secretary of Transportation: Mortimer Downey Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Energy: Ed Rendell Confirmed with 83 Ayes to 17 Nays

Secretary of Education: Mike Castle Confirmed with 79 Ayes to 21 Nays

Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Edward Powell Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Homeland Security: Bill Bratton not needing Senate Confirmation due to being retained from previous administration

UN Ambassador: Susan Rice Confirmed Unanimously

OBM Director: Peter Orszag Confirmed Unanimously

EPA Administrator: Lyn Scarlett Confirmed Unanimously

Hillary Clinton appoints Congresswomen Kirsten Gilibrand to head the DNC:

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kirsten_Gillibrand,_official_photo_portrait,_2006.jpg

Blitzer: President Hillary Clinton announced earlier today that she would be appointing Congresswomen Kirsten Gillibrand to take over as head of the DNC. Congresswomen Gillibrand first was elected in 2006 when multiple scandals by her Republican Predecessor John Sweeney led to then President McCain dropping his support of him which led to his defeat.

Schneider: I would like to add that many Republicans believed that they would almost certainly take that seat back in 2008 but as you know incumbents are difficult to dislodge and Congresswomen Gillibrand ended up easily winning.

Blitzer: Why did she get picked by President Clinton

Schneider: One major reason is Mrs. Gillibrand was a huge ally of President Clinton and has since her first senate campaign back in 2000 and add to the fact she is considered a Blue Dog Democrat from upstate New York certainly plays a major role in why she was picked .
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2022, 10:00:03 PM »

All of President Clinton's Cabinet Members get confirmed by the Senate:

Blitzer: All of President Clinton's cabinet has now been confirmed and the vast majority in a pretty easy fashion . The only exception was Howard Dean who as you can see did not receive 60 senators but still was confirmed as we are told Senate Minority Leader Jon Kyl said he would not support such a move as he believes the filibuster should only be used for certain circumstances and this is not one of them.

Secretary of State: Sam Nunn Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Treasury: Gene Sperling Confirmed with 87 Ayes to 13 Nays

Secretary of Defense: John Hamre Confirmed Unanimously

Attorney General: Seth Waxman Confirmed with 86 Ayes to 14 Nays

Secretary of Interior: Mark Udall Confirmed with 75 Ayes to 25 Nays

Secretary of Agriculture: Tom Vilsack Confirmed with 96 Ayes to 4 Nays

Secretary of Commerce: Kathleen Sebelius Confirmed with 68 Ayes to 32 Nays

Secretary of Labor: Dick Gephardt Confirmed with 82 Ayes to 18 Nays

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Howard Dean Confirmed with 58 Ayes to 42 Nays 

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Shirley Franklin Confirmed with 77 Ayes to 23 Nays

Secretary of Transportation: Mitch Landrieu Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Energy: Ed Rendell Confirmed with 83 Ayes to 17 Nays

Secretary of Education: Mike Castle Confirmed with 79 Ayes to 21 Nays

Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Edward Powell Confirmed Unanimously

Secretary of Homeland Security: Bill Bratton not needing Senate Confirmation due to being retained from previous administration

UN Ambassador: Susan Rice Confirmed Unanimously

OBM Director: Peter Orszag Confirmed Unanimously

EPA Administrator: Lyn Scarlett Confirmed Unanimously

Hillary Clinton appoints Congresswomen Kirsten Gilibrand to head the DNC:

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kirsten_Gillibrand,_official_photo_portrait,_2006.jpg

Blitzer: President Hillary Clinton announced earlier today that she would be appointing Congresswomen Kirsten Gillibrand to take over as head of the DNC. Congresswomen Gillibrand first was elected in 2006 when multiple scandals by her Republican Predecessor John Sweeney led to then President McCain dropping his support of him which led to his defeat.

Schneider: I would like to add that many Republicans believed that they would almost certainly take that seat back in 2008 but as you know incumbents are difficult to dislodge and Congresswomen Gillibrand ended up easily winning.

Blitzer: Why did she get picked by President Clinton

Schneider: One major reason is Mrs. Gillibrand was a huge ally of President Clinton and has since her first senate campaign back in 2000 and add to the fact she is considered a Blue Dog Democrat from upstate New York certainly plays a major role in why she was picked .
Nunn is pretty uncontroversial
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 10:02:38 PM »

Well he was confirmed Unanimously here

Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 12:56:06 PM »

True, Republicans might get that Gillibrand Seat back in a Special Election BUT Rep. Mike Castle also vacated his Delaware At-Large House Seat where the Democrats would be favoured in a Special Election.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 01:00:53 PM »

True, Republicans might get that Gillibrand Seat back in a Special Election BUT Rep. Mike Castle also vacated his Delaware At-Large House Seat where the Democrats would be favoured in a Special Election.

Keep in mind she wouldnt have to resign her house seat to lead the DNC. Debbie Wasserman Schultz led the DNC in OTL and still was a member of the house so there won't be a special election for Gillibrand's Seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Wasserman_Schultz

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 12:38:28 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2022, 01:07:05 PM by Old School Republican »

President Hillary Clinton releases her Healthcare plan:

Blitzer: President Clinton released her healthcare proposal and here are some of the major provisions

Important Provisions:

Medicaid and Medicare:

- Reduces the Medicare Age from 65 to 55

- Expands Eligibility of Medicaid where it covers people up to 140% of the poverty line

Mandates:

- Creates an individual mandate for health insurance

- Large Employers would be required to provide their employers with insurance or pay into a fund that finances coverage for insured

Taxes:

- Would increase payroll taxes

- Create tax credits to help individuals purchase health insurance

- Small Businesses who provide health insurance will receive tax credits

Rules for Insurance Companies:

- Cannot deny anyone for pre existing conditions

- Lets kids stay on their parents healthcare plan till they are 26

Other:

- Lets Americans Buy the same insurance plan as congress

- Increases funding to help create new providers in rural communities

So David it seems like a very ambitious plan so could it pass both chambers

Gergen: Oh Yes it is ambitious but we are told that President Clinton met with both Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi before crafting this proposal as this is a proposal she believes can pass congress. Whether it does , we have to see

Insider: HHS Secretary Howard Dean and Chief of Staff Terry McAuliffe Disagree on strategy to pass healthcare reform:

Blitzer: We are getting a report right now that Secretary Dean and Chief of Staff McAuliffe Disagree on a potential strategy  to pass healthcare. So Soledad what are some disagreements we are hearing

O'Brien: Well we are told that Secretary Dean believes the Democrats should push whatever they could through a process known a reconciliation which lets Democrats pass the budgetary provisions of the bill with only 50 votes. So for example thing that could pass through that process are the Medicare and Medicaid changes , the tax changes and along with increasing funding to create new rural providers but what could not pass are the individual and employer mandates along with the rules on insurance companies.

Blitzer: So there would be a pretty significant portion of the proposal that could not pass through reconciliation

O'Brien: That is correct which is why Chief of Staff McAuliffe believes reconciliation is not the right approach as he believes that 1. It could make key parts of healthcare reform not possible 2. It would look bad in the public as viewed as passing a major piece of legislation among partisan terms so he believes there should be a compromise made with the Republicans.

Now of course Secretary Dean believes that 1. Any Compromise with Republicans would mean the Medicare and Medicaid provisions would be gone and he believes those are the most important provisions in the bill and believes without those provisions the bill has no meaning. So for that reason he believes the Democrats should pass whatever they can with reconciliation then negotiate the rest with the Republicans .

Blitzer: Wouldnt passing this make compromise on healthcare impossible

O'Brien: Probably but Secretary Dean believes that the provisions on Medicare and Medicaid are the most important and believes that should be the first priority on this bill.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 03:31:15 AM »

President Hillary Clinton releases her Healthcare plan:

Blitzer: President Clinton released her healthcare proposal and here are some of the major provisions

Important Provisions:

Medicaid and Medicare:

- Reduces the Medicare Age from 65 to 55

- Expands Eligibility of Medicaid from 100% of poverty line to 140%

Mandates:

- Creates an individual mandate for health insurance

- Large Employers would be required to provide their employers with insurance or pay into a fund that finances coverage for insured

Taxes:

- Would increase payroll taxes

- Create tax credits to help individuals purchase health insurance

- Small Businesses who provide health insurance will receive tax credits

Rules for Insurance Companies:

- Cannot deny anyone for pre existing conditions

- Lets kids stay on their parents healthcare plan till they are 26

Other:

- Lets Americans Buy the same insurance plan as congress

- Increases funding to help create new providers in rural communities

So David it seems like a very ambitious plan so could it pass both chambers

Gergen: Oh Yes it is ambitious but we are told that President Clinton met with both Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi before crafting this proposal as this is a proposal she believes can pass congress. Whether it does , we have to see

Insider: HHS Secretary Howard Dean and Chief of Staff Terry McAuliffe Disagree on strategy to pass healthcare reform:

Blitzer: We are getting a report right now that Secretary Dean and Chief of Staff McAuliffe Disagree on a potential strategy  to pass healthcare. So Soledad what are some disagreements we are hearing

O'Brien: Well we are told that Secretary Dean believes the Democrats should push whatever they could through a process known a reconciliation which lets Democrats pass the budgetary provisions of the bill with only 50 votes. So for example thing that could pass through that process are the Medicare and Medicaid changes , the tax changes and along with increasing funding to create new rural providers but what could not pass are the individual and employer mandates along with the rules on insurance companies.

Blitzer: So there would be a pretty significant portion of the proposal that could not pass through reconciliation

O'Brien: That is correct which is why Chief of Staff McAuliffe believes reconciliation is not the right approach as he believes that 1. It could make key parts of healthcare reform not possible 2. It would look bad in the public as viewed as passing a major piece of legislation among partisan terms so he believes there should be a compromise made with the Republicans.

Now of course Secretary Dean believes that 1. Any Compromise with Republicans would mean the Medicare and Medicaid provisions would be gone and he believes those are the most important provisions in the bill and believes without those provisions the bill has no meaning. So for that reason he believes the Democrats should pass whatever they can with reconciliation then negotiate the rest with the Republicans .

Blitzer: Wouldnt passing this make compromise on healthcare impossible

O'Brien: Probably but Secretary Dean believes that the provisions on Medicare and Medicaid are the most important and believes that should be the first priority on this bill.

Excellent (narrative wise) healthcare plan, more original than the ones made by my fictional characters
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 05:38:10 AM »

Wait is the Medicaid cap at 100% FPL in this TL?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 11:26:41 AM »
« Edited: August 15, 2022, 01:07:19 PM by Old School Republican »

Wait is the Medicaid cap at 100% FPL in this TL?

Wasn’t that the amount pre Obamacare IRL too or am I just remembering it wrongly . Edited it though just to point out it will be expanded
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »

I hope CoS Terry McAuliffe overrules Howard Dean here.

McAuliffe & Hillary I'd to see summon all Congressional Leaders to the WH and find a compromise.

And if after that Kyl & Senate Republicans still obstruct they then could put them on the spot.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2022, 03:38:03 PM »

I hope CoS Terry McAuliffe overrules Howard Dean here.

McAuliffe & Hillary I'd to see summon all Congressional Leaders to the WH and find a compromise.

And if after that Kyl & Senate Republicans still obstruct they then could put them on the spot.

I basically agree with this one. A wider compromise here also reduces the risk of being repealed in the future.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 12:31:38 AM »

President Clinton pushes for Childcare Reform:

Blitzer: President Clinton as promised unveiled her proposal to reform childcare in this nation and here are some of the key provisions

Major Provisions:

- Require all businesses with 50 or more employees to provide 12 weeks of paid maternal leave and 6 weeks of paid paternal leave

- Create tax credits for businesses with 50 or less employees to provide some sort of paid maternal and paid paternal leave

- Make Pre-School Universal for every 4 year old in America

- Expands the Child Tax Credit, and Child and Dependent Care Credit

Blitzer: So Paul it seems like President Clinton so far has gone straight out of the gate as just in her first month in office has already proposed Healthcare Reform and now Childcare Reform

Begala: Yes keep in mind , there were many indications that President Clinton from day 1 that she would go with the approach of pushing through at least the framework of much of her agenda pretty early on in the administration so I would say this is not a surprise. Second keep in mind the issues of Healthcare and Childcare are the issues that the President has been most passionate about throughout her career and if you remember were the issues she pushed the most as first lady so it is no surprise she has a plan of what she has wanted to do on these issues from the get go so its not surprised the proposals are coming out so quick.

Lastly I think the President is quite aware of the history of midterms and while she will hate me for bringing this up the fact is given how slim the Democrats majority is in the house, its very likely they will only have these first two years to push through the more ambitious parts of her agenda due to the fact if the Republicans likely are not wanting to go ahead with it if they controlled the house. Keep in mind it is far easier making more favorable compromises with individual members from the other party than making it with an opposite party speaker so yes I could see some Republicans voting for some version of this proposal while I cannot see a Republican speaker putting this proposal on the floor of the house which changes up things.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announces Democrats will take a two track approach to healthcare, one involving a reconciliation bill and one involving one that goes through the regular order:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxw5m9mvkQ

Cooper: Senator Reid there are rumors that Democrats might be taking a two track approach towards healthcare reform. What does that mean

Reid: Well Anderson that means that we will be splitting healthcare reform into two separate bills, one involving reconciliation and one involving the regular process. The one involving reconciliation will just focus on two areas and they are passing the President's proposal to expand Medicare and Medicaid and how to pay for it.

The second which would be healthcare reform largely relating to the private system we will pass using the normal order which means through a bipartisan process.

Cooper: Why separate out Medicare and Medicaid Expansion from the bill

Reid: Well the reason is that it would not be possible to do any sort of healthcare reform and the reason is one the Republicans would not support any bill with those provisions and there are many Democrats who would not support a bill without it so for that reason I think its better we split the bill to ensure we can get healthcare reform done which is what the American people want.

Cooper: Will you be adding for example the tax credit portion into the reconciliation bill

Reid: No as even though it would be eligible to do so , we want the broader bill to have some sort of bipartisan support and I believe we will get it.

Cooper: Ok thank you for coming on

Reid: Anytime Anderson

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 03:54:50 AM »

President Clinton pushes for Childcare Reform:

Blitzer: President Clinton as promised unveiled her proposal to reform childcare in this nation and here are some of the key provisions

Major Provisions:

- Require all businesses with 50 or more employees to provide 12 weeks of paid maternal leave and 6 weeks of paid paternal leave

- Create tax credits for businesses with 50 or less employees to provide some sort of paid maternal and paid paternal leave

- Make Pre-School Universal for every 4 year old in America

- Expands the Child Tax Credit, and Child and Dependent Care Credit

Blitzer: So Paul it seems like President Clinton so far has gone straight out of the gate as just in her first month in office has already proposed Healthcare Reform and now Childcare Reform

Begala: Yes keep in mind , there were many indications that President Clinton from day 1 that she would go with the approach of pushing through at least the framework of much of her agenda pretty early on in the administration so I would say this is not a surprise. Second keep in mind the issues of Healthcare and Childcare are the issues that the President has been most passionate about throughout her career and if you remember were the issues she pushed the most as first lady so it is no surprise she has a plan of what she has wanted to do on these issues from the get go so its not surprised the proposals are coming out so quick.

Lastly I think the President is quite aware of the history of midterms and while she will hate me for bringing this up the fact is given how slim the Democrats majority is in the house, its very likely they will only have these first two years to push through the more ambitious parts of her agenda due to the fact if the Republicans likely are not wanting to go ahead with it if they controlled the house. Keep in mind it is far easier making more favorable compromises with individual members from the other party than making it with an opposite party speaker so yes I could see some Republicans voting for some version of this proposal while I cannot see a Republican speaker putting this proposal on the floor of the house which changes up things.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announces Democrats will take a two track approach to healthcare, one involving a reconciliation bill and one involving one that goes through the regular order:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxw5m9mvkQ

Cooper: Senator Reid there are rumors that Democrats might be taking a two track approach towards healthcare reform. What does that mean

Reid: Well Anderson that means that we will be splitting healthcare reform into two separate bills, one involving reconciliation and one involving the regular process. The one involving reconciliation will just focus on two areas and they are passing the President's proposal to expand Medicare and Medicaid and how to pay for it.

The second which would be healthcare reform largely relating to the private system we will pass using the normal order which means through a bipartisan process.

Cooper: Why separate out Medicare and Medicaid Expansion from the bill

Reid: Well the reason is that it would not be possible to do any sort of healthcare reform and the reason is one the Republicans would not support any bill with those provisions and there are many Democrats who would not support a bill without it so for that reason I think its better we split the bill to ensure we can get healthcare reform done which is what the American people want.

Cooper: Will you be adding for example the tax credit portion into the reconciliation bill

Reid: No as even though it would be eligible to do so , we want the broader bill to have some sort of bipartisan support and I believe we will get it.

Cooper: Ok thank you for coming on

Reid: Anytime Anderson

Great ideas
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies