Killing A Man, The Vice Presidnetial Way
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Killing A Man, The Vice Presidnetial Way
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Killing A Man, The Vice Presidnetial Way  (Read 3037 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2004, 07:54:27 PM »

Vice President Aaron Burr had had enough of it in 1803. Alexander Hamilton had called him a fool and a liar infront of the entire Congress. Burr had to have his honor fullfilled, so he challenged Hamilton to a duel at dawn. The duel was fought in Conneticut, and Hamilton was killed when Burr was allowed the first shot. Now Aaron Burr had killed a man, oh no!

Burr could have resigned from offcie as Spiro Agnew had done in the 1970's, but he chose a different way: Just keeping the job. He served as vice president until 1804, when the word got araound that he killed Hamilton. Burr was a wanted man in New York, Hamilton's home state, and Conneticut, where the duel occured. Burr was replaced by George Clinton in 1804 as Thomas Jefferson's running mate.

Martin Van Buren ,a young New York attorney, defended Burr and won the trial. But Burr's problems were not over with yet. Burr was involoved in a plan to create an empire out of the Louisiana Territory. He wanted to take large portions of Louisiana and stretch every southward into Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and South America. This is treason. he wanted to crown himself Emperor of North America. Burr now was a traitor, and he fled to England. Burr was scorned as a traitor and a murderer untill he died a broken and forgotten man in New York City.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 08:30:44 PM »

Burr is THE MAN
zachman

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 09:11:34 PM »

He's about the weirdest powerful man in American history.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 04:33:50 PM »

I bet Dick Cheney would do well in a duel - not much to loose, and a good shot (avid hunter).
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 05:57:01 PM »

I bet Dick Cheney would do well in a duel - not much to loose, and a good shot (avid hunter).

Well all respect to Mr. Vice President but I think it would be hard for his opponent to miss. He is a rather large man.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:00:12 AM »

Well all respect to Mr. Vice President but I think it would be hard for his opponent to miss. He is a rather large man.

Hah, good point!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 05:20:54 PM »

Today is the anniversary of this event.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 05:23:05 PM »

Today is the anniversary of this event.

Really?

I am going to get a biography of Hamilton - Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Know if it is good?

I have already got a copy of the Federalist Papers and was gonna buy "The Papers of Alexander Hamilton" when I saw it in a bookshop, then I noticed the price tag - £100!!!!! At exchange rates from the last time I looked that is like $175!!!!!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 05:25:23 PM »

Hamilton was an economic genious, he just had a big ego.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 05:26:20 PM »

I know he was in favour of a strong central government and was a Federalist (obviously).
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 05:27:29 PM »

I know he was in favour of a strong central government and was a Federalist (obviously).

His bond programs saved the economy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 06:08:54 PM »

People were probably much more polite in the days of dueling.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 06:11:01 PM »

People were probably much more polite in the days of dueling.

Yeah. If it was still leagal Cheney could have dueled with that Senator he told to f**k off! That would have been quite the media blitz.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 10:35:41 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2004, 10:38:32 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

You don't have a clear understanding of the situation.

While the federalists did support nationalization of the states debt from the Revolutionary war, Hamilton supported it because it gave the rich a safe place to profitably invest their money.

Hamilton was a thoroughly evil man.

ijohn57s

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 10:16:16 AM »

I'm not crazy about Hamilton or Burr. I think Hamilton would have loved nothing more than to be King of the United States. As for Burr, he should have been hanged for treason.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 10:32:12 AM »

Is there an evidence of the claim that Van Buren was actually Aaron Burr's illegitimate son?  (Very prominent in the Gore Vidal's fictionalized biography)
ijohn57s

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 10:44:26 AM »

Is there an evidence of the claim that Van Buren was actually Aaron Burr's illegitimate son?  (Very prominent in the Gore Vidal's fictionalized biography)

Ah... The plot thickens.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 12:31:42 PM »

That could be true. Burr stopped by the Vamn Buren Tavern in Kinderhook, New York, many times.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 06:00:30 PM »

Vice President Aaron Burr had had enough of it in 1803. Alexander Hamilton had called him a fool and a liar infront of the entire Congress. Burr had to have his honor fullfilled, so he challenged Hamilton to a duel at dawn. The duel was fought in Conneticut, and Hamilton was killed when Burr was allowed the first shot. Now Aaron Burr had killed a man, oh no!

Burr could have resigned from offcie as Spiro Agnew had done in the 1970's, but he chose a different way: Just keeping the job. He served as vice president until 1804, when the word got araound that he killed Hamilton. Burr was a wanted man in New York, Hamilton's home state, and Conneticut, where the duel occured. Burr was replaced by George Clinton in 1804 as Thomas Jefferson's running mate.

Martin Van Buren ,a young New York attorney, defended Burr and won the trial. But Burr's problems were not over with yet. Burr was involoved in a plan to create an empire out of the Louisiana Territory. He wanted to take large portions of Louisiana and stretch every southward into Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and South America. This is treason. he wanted to crown himself Emperor of North America. Burr now was a traitor, and he fled to England. Burr was scorned as a traitor and a murderer untill he died a broken and forgotten man in New York City.

Small correction.

I believe the duel was fought in New Jersey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies