Inflation is crushing rural America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:22:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Inflation is crushing rural America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Inflation is crushing rural America  (Read 2247 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2022, 10:52:56 PM »

I do believe many left-wing voters (around the world, but especially in this country) secretly hold serious contempt for rural areas, their lifestyles, and their values, and therefore see any sort of negative development in rural America that pushes it’s populace to urban areas as a good thing, where they can accept urban, progressive values.

They keep voting all sh**tty and against their best interests, then that's a big fat YEPPERS

I love being a short drive away from rural country while still living in a city with all its amenities. Wages haven't gone up because these dumbs see unions as the enemy and I hope they're starving in the ditches because it's apparently the only way to make them see a different side of things.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2022, 11:40:57 PM »

I do believe many left-wing voters (around the world, but especially in this country) secretly hold serious contempt for rural areas, their lifestyles, and their values, and therefore see any sort of negative development in rural America that pushes it’s populace to urban areas as a good thing, where they can accept urban, progressive values.

They keep voting all sh**tty and against their best interests, then that's a big fat YEPPERS

I love being a short drive away from rural country while still living in a city with all its amenities. Wages haven't gone up because these dumbs see unions as the enemy and I hope they're starving in the ditches because it's apparently the only way to make them see a different side of things.

Thank you for proving my point.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2022, 01:56:14 AM »

Thank you for proving my point.

I have a great love and appreciation for rural values, but I'm not going to sell my country in exchange. We're up against a wall, and things have to give.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2022, 07:42:44 AM »

Gas prices and Airline travel is falling Housing prices are exploding,
including Hotels when you travel  not only is it 1K to move in you need 2K a mnth advance, when asked Cori Bush if she supports Biden she didn't answer the question because she knows Blks are being squeezed by the Housing crunch

Gavin Newsom whom wants to be Prez is struggling because he beautified Sofi Std but no affordable housing anywhere especially in SF where he was mayor, I can absentee ballot but I won't vote for NEWSOM, he didn't give everyone a Stimulus checks because business told him there are Labor Shortages but all the immigrants got subsidized or affordable housing

That Golden State stimulus was supposed to be for poverty people it wasn't meant to give extra money for child credit
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2022, 07:53:33 AM »

Liberals are more likely to promote places that are more in line with their ideals and Conservatives do the same.
I'm reminded of the many, many jokes and memes about California by this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2022, 08:02:41 AM »

And thus BBQ is in peril all across rural Texas, which is an important community institution for the residents. Sad article. I don't really see a fix. Fuel is going to get relatively more expensive, and should get relatively more expensive to change consumption patterns, given climate change.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-southwest/the-true-costs-of-inflation-in-small-town-texas
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2022, 09:59:52 AM »

A few things here:

1. You can have contempt for someone on a personal level, and still want to ensure that their material needs are met, because they are fellow human beings.

2. Urbanization is a good thing in and of itself, for economic and climate reasons, and has nothing to do with cultural issues.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2022, 10:19:46 AM »

The proliferation of very fuel inefficient $50k+ pickup trucks says that they could easily bring down their inflation exposure a large degree by not needing something to magnify the small peen.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2022, 10:21:13 AM »

The proliferation of very fuel inefficient $50k+ pickup trucks says that they could easily bring down their inflation exposure a large degree by not needing something to magnify the small peen.

Most new trucks are relatively good with Gas. And Ford is launching an electric version of the 150.

A few things here:

1. You can have contempt for someone on a personal level, and still want to ensure that their material needs are met, because they are fellow human beings.

2. Urbanization is a good thing in and of itself, for economic and climate reasons, and has nothing to do with cultural issues.

Yeah but the economic flows into the cultural.

White collar jobs. Higher advanced degrees. Multiculturalism. Globalism. It all goes together.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 10:36:50 AM »

Aside from recreation, rural America has little more than food and resources to offer.
Job openings? Farm labor and traveler services (motels, restaurants, convenience stores) aren't going to attract people who already have better-paying jobs. Teaching or medicine?  If you are from there, sure. Rural areas are still places of comparative hardship.

This is not to say that rural areas don't have plenty of people who would vote toward the Left if they could vote. I'm thinking of workers in places that fit the classic factory norms in a rural setting, like dairies and packing plants. Such places are the most obvious targets for organizing unions.

When the people doing the rural factory-style work are able to vote because they are citizens, even rural areas could go D. Corporate farmers are super-strong R and are a major constituency of the GOP, small family farmers lean R, people in low-paying services are slightly R, degreed professionals such as teachers and hospital staffs lean D. Farm laborers are likely solid D,       

But that is politics
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 10:40:18 AM »

No surprise.  Agriculture (and rural life more generally, to a lesser extent) is very fuel dependent. 

Rural America is  where one most needs a car. The nearest neighbor might not be within walking distance. Shopping, church attendance, medical care, seeing a movie? Add a trip by car.
kia boyz '24
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2022, 10:51:08 AM »

It hurts in the city too bro. Y’all are gonna have a very fun time hand-wringing over what possibly could’ve caused low black/Puerto Rican turnout to sink Fetterman/Shapiro in November.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 10:59:17 AM by Brittain33 »

Many of us grew up in areas that made us feel unwelcome and pushed us out for being too gay, the wrong color, not Christian or the right kind of Christian, too interested in books, too ambitious, not into the same sports and music they loved. And when we moved to cities to build a new life, they blame us for not loving and respecting them from afar and because they don’t have the same standard of living after they chased out anyone with any ambition or who was different in any way and saw the jobs go with us.

Rural victim complex is so boring. Your problems are self-inflicted. My hometown is worse off because I and many of my friends left - but they didn’t want me to be there as a gay man.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2022, 11:20:03 AM »

Many of us grew up in areas that made us feel unwelcome and pushed us out for being too gay, the wrong color, not Christian or the right kind of Christian, too interested in books, too ambitious, not into the same sports and music they loved. And when we moved to cities to build a new life, they blame us for not loving and respecting them from afar and because they don’t have the same standard of living after they chased out anyone with any ambition or who was different in any way and saw the jobs go with us.

Rural victim complex is so boring. Your problems are self-inflicted. My hometown is worse off because I and many of my friends left - but they didn’t want me to be there as a gay man.

And to be honest, the only culture wars have come from the Right Wing.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 12:03:08 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2022, 11:53:09 AM by pbrower2a »

Bingo!

And to be honest, the only culture wars have come from the Right Wing.

It used to be possible to be erudite and thoughtful in rural America. Not now unless one has the excuse of being a teacher or medical professional.  Rural areas have often been getting the dregs of society such as pedophiles and druggies sent there because they can less easily infect the surrounding areas because in some decrepit farmhouse they might be out of walking distance of any children.  I'm not sure that there is any truly good place for pedophiles (other than the grave) and druggies (other than detox).

People have cable TV , but people seem to FoX News for their propaganda and high-profile televangelists for theology. Yuck!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2022, 01:23:19 PM »

That's why we need a Secularist Trifecta so we can extend programs, we don't need Rs cutting
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 02:10:47 PM »

This is an interesting post. I know nothing about rural living, I'm a city girl all the way. What you said hit a true tone about people's differences not being tolerated. Frankly, who needs communities like this? They take up space and what do they give back that helps other people? They seem to live in a closed-off world of non-reality, and Trump support. Am I wrong?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2022, 02:12:51 PM »

A few things here:

"Urbanization has nothing to do with cultural issues" my ass. Urban lifestyle and rural lifestyle are completely different. I will not live in a pod.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 02:21:14 PM by Gulf Coast Straussian »

I see the rural understanders have logged on. If y'all want mass farmer protests like what we're seeing in the Netherlands, you're doing everything right, so for your own sake thank God none of you have actual positions of influence. Don't piss off the people who grow your food and produce your energy.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2022, 02:16:35 PM »

I see the rural understanders have logged on. If y'all want mass farmer protests like what we're seeing in the Netherlands, you're doing everything right. Don't piss off the people who grow your food and produce your energy.

They only grow some of the food. Food is grown all over. And as for energy, that is generated all over as well, and getting more and more that way.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »

I hope they're starving in the ditches
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2022, 02:25:00 PM »

Those same rural voters will deliver a GOP Congress that will immediately pass tax cuts for the rich. So why is there such a huge disconnect between what their reality is and and what their politcal action and advocacy is?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »

Those same rural voters will deliver a GOP Congress that will immediately pass tax cuts for the rich. So why is there such a huge disconnect between what their reality is and and what their politcal action and advocacy is?

The GOP isn't the party passing massive spending and relief check packages that are driving inflation through the roof. It's no coincidence that inflation spiked massively right after Biden's American Rescue Plan. And thank god for Manchin for stopping BBB, which would have made it even worse.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2022, 02:49:00 PM »

The GOP isn't the party passing massive spending and relief check packages that are driving inflation through the roof. It's no coincidence that inflation spiked massively right after Biden's American Rescue Plan. And thank god for Manchin for stopping BBB, which would have made it even worse.

The Same GOP who then bragged about the Benefits of the Plan to their constituents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wicker-praises-covid-19-relief-funding-after-voting-against-bill-2021-3?amp

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2022, 02:50:23 PM »

When you pass unfunded tax cuts for the rich, big spending for the military that is exactly what you are doing. The stimulus packages we vote on every few decades are political candy, a big sugar rush that quickly wears off to quiet the anger of the masses after years of unfair government policy that benefits the powerful and connected. Much of the stimulus ends up with the top wealth accumulators and companies. So GOP policies are responsible for inflation we currently face, which is due to supply shock, as much as anybody.

The GOP solution to every problem is a tax cut, this is not hyperbole but their own policy prescriptions for college affordability, the healthcare system, housing, retirement, childcare, etc.

You get the government you vote for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies