PPT Election Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PPT Election Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPT Election Bill  (Read 4127 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »

I would like to propose a bill regarding when we elect our President Pro Tempore of the Senate as at the moment there is no precedent.

The bill is as follows:

The President Pro Tempore shall be elected by a majority of the Senate in a Senatorial vote. If no candidate receives a majority of the vote a re-vote will be taken. If two candidates are tied in a two-way election, five-five then the Vice President of the forum shall cast the deciding vote.

The President Pro Tempore shall be elected in the second weekend of the month following the Presidential and Senatorial Elections held every four months, the weekend following the swearing in of the new Senate and the new President and Vice-President.

-----------

Well what do you think? I think the alternative is to hold it every two months, each time after the new Senators are sworn in.

The other thing I considered adding was a clause saying no one can be elected to the position of President Pro Tempore for more than two times in a row, what do you think?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 05:19:17 PM »

Every 2 months makes more sense to me.
new senators should have a say in the matter.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 05:34:22 PM »

I think the PPT should be able to be elected immediately after a new Senate is sworn in. We don't really have to wait an entire week, that might slow down the legislative process and dampen the momentum of new representatives just coming in off their campaign promises.

Yeah and having the election once every 2 months sounds good, perhaps we can then have a clause that no one will be PPT for more than 4 times in a row, which is 8 months, same as the presidency.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »

I think the PPT should be able to be elected immediately after a new Senate is sworn in. We don't really have to wait an entire week, that might slow down the legislative process and dampen the momentum of new representatives just coming in off their campaign promises.

Yeah and having the election once every 2 months sounds good, perhaps we can then have a clause that no one will be PPT for more than 4 times in a row, which is 8 months, same as the presidency.

I was going to add a clause for just elected twice in a row.

I suggest we hold it for the whole week after swearing in, I merely chose weekends as people are more likely to be on the forums then.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 05:49:58 PM »

I was going to add a clause for just elected twice in a row.

I suggest we hold it for the whole week after swearing in, I merely chose weekends as people are more likely to be on the forums then.

That sounds good. I think that if 6 senators of 5 plus the VP express support for 1 candidate prior to the weekend after swearing in, it would get a potential distraction out of the way earlier. I normally wouldn't mind except that the swearing in is already such a long time after the actual election (just look at this one). But if enough senators dont come on until the weekend to determine the election, then of course it will have to be extended. Another thing is, since the President can be elected for 8 months, (s)he can potentially have a lot of time to build up a strong reputation and prestige as commander in chief. The PPT should have the opportunity to serve for the same amount of time and build up the same prestige as leader of the senate.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 05:50:54 PM »

Just open a thread when new senators are sworn in and close it when all ten have voted for PPT.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

The bill is good, but it'd be better for every two months, as my colleagues said.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »

I would now like to officially propose the altered bill, the original was to gauge some opinions.

The President Pro Tempore shall be elected by a majority of the Senate in a Senatorial vote. If no candidate receives a majority of the vote a re-vote will be taken. If two candidates are tied in a two-way election, five-five then the Vice President of the forum shall cast the deciding vote.

The President Pro Tempore shall be elected in the week following the swearing in of the new Senate. The President Pro Tempore shall therefore be elected every two months.

No man or woman shall be allowed to serve as President Pro Tempore for a period of more than eight months in a row.

If the President Pro Tempore should resign then an election for a replacement shall begin immediately. The newly elected President Pro Tempore will still have to face the next scheduled election for the position.

In order to remove the President Pro Tempore from power, sixty percent of Senators must deliver a signed petition to the President of the Senate (The Vice-President of the Forums) who will then call for a vote of no confidence in the President Pro Tempore. This vote will require the support of two thirds of the Senate to pass.

Welll, I would just like to state why I am proposing this bill and outline my reasons for the content.

For starters, why am I submitting this? Well, I believe that at the moment we have no precedent and no requirements for the election and removal of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, an issue that needs to be quickly rectified.

Why have I chosen every two months for the President Pro Tempore to be elected? Well, I think that the President Pro Tempore should be up for election every time half the Senate is either replaced or re-elected or a combination of the two, meaning that these elections should be held following the mid terms and the Senatorial elections that combine with the Presidential election.

I have added a clause on the time limit that a President Pro Tempore must serve as I feel that the position should be like the Presidency, no person should hold it for too long and as eight months is the same amount of time as a President, it allows them to build a good relationship and should promote good co-operation between the President and the Senate.

I also think we need to set a precedent for what to do if the President Pro Tempore resigns and also set a precedent for the removal of the President Pro Tempore if they are not fulfilling their duties properly.

I  have chosen sixty percent of the Senators as that corresponds with six Senators and means that it must be a majority decision, however, I think that it should be a two thirds decision in the end whether or not to remove them.

As I have said several times, I believe this bill will set a good precedent for the election of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate as at the moment we have none and I feel this must be rectified quickly.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 05:28:23 PM »

This looks like a good bill to me. I'll sign it if it gets through while I'm still in office.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 08:06:32 PM »

If it's time to vote.
YEA
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 08:26:05 PM »

aye
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 08:46:33 PM »

Sure.  Why not?

Yea.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 09:03:32 PM »

I'll vote yes on the bill. Nice job, JFK.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 10:55:26 PM »

yea
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 10:30:18 AM »

Ok, no debating then? Smiley

Ah well, I vote aye on the bill.

That is 6 votes for the bill and 0 votes against the bill so far which means that it has passed I believe.

I declare this bill passed and would like to now call upon the President to sign it into action.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 01:20:08 PM »

Did you ever notice every bill passes?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 01:21:38 PM »

Except for your abortion bill.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2004, 01:27:07 PM »

Because of the yuppie president
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »

Indeed I have noticed, have you ever noticed we never debate the bills before passing them too, lol.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2004, 03:42:28 PM »

i endorse this bill, congrats by the way jfk
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2004, 03:44:02 PM »

Indeed I have noticed, have you ever noticed we never debate the bills before passing them too, lol.
well it's your job to guide bills now,don't let anyone vote until there is some debate.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »

well it's your job to guide bills now,don't let anyone vote until there is some debate.

I am aware it is my job now, Smiley, I plan to do it thoroughly, by the time I got here today we already had five votes on the bill for so I figured I would let it go.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2004, 06:39:58 PM »

I am aware it is my job now, Smiley, I plan to do it thoroughly, by the time I got here today we already had five votes on the bill for so I figured I would let it go.

Its also our responsibility to try to debate before we start voting Tongue But a big factor is definitely that no one would propose a bill unless they thought it would pass, for one thing, we are passing mostly procedural bills, for another thing, and that all bills sound good when they are first read, for strike three.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »

I'm not a yuppie. I am a yrppie though (young rural professional).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »

JFK can't stop us from voting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies