When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:13:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?  (Read 2193 times)
goin bezerk
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2022, 02:14:26 PM »

Apologies if wrong board but idk where else to put this.

Anyways, since there now are no liberal men on the court, when will be the next time that a Democratic President appoints a man?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 08:03:04 AM »

Almost surely not to replace an existing liberal woman, and probably not until after there is already a majority-female court.  I'm not sure what would happen if there was a majority-female court because of multiple conservative women (say a woman replaces Thomas or Alito when they retire under Republicans) and then a Democrat gets to replace a conservative man. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 09:38:42 PM »

On the 11th of Never. I think Dem Presidents are going to take RBG's "when there are Nine" quote seriously. Some GOPers may even appoint women to try to improve their standing with female voters post-Dobbs.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 10:09:50 PM »

I'm far more interested in wondering about the next time a GOP President will appoint A Not Catholic, myself.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 04:10:22 AM »

I'm far more interested in wondering about the next time a GOP President will appoint A Not Catholic, myself.

Gorsuch*
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:26:26 AM »

Gorsuch*

Gorsuch was raised Catholic and stayed high-church upon switching denominations, so I'm still counting him here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »

Gorsuch*

Gorsuch was raised Catholic and stayed high-church upon switching denominations, so I'm still counting him here.

It actually sounds similar to me. Mom was a lapsed Evangelical, dad was a lapsed Catholic, was last active in the same church Gorsuch is.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 05:48:50 PM »

Gorsuch*

Gorsuch, while typically siding with religious interests, comes across to me as the least personally religious of the six Republican appointed justices (certainly at least of the five justice Dobbs majority).
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »

Gorsuch*

Gorsuch, while typically siding with religious interests, comes across to me as the least personally religious of the six Republican appointed justices (certainly at least of the five justice Dobbs majority).

Yes, because his mother was powerful and he developed somewhat of a respect for women who work, as opposed to the rest of the sexist clowns.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.45, S: -3.91

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 01:22:52 PM »

Probably the next one they appoint. The current imbalance will definitely be noted, and I think even to replace a liberal woman democrats won't feel pressured to appoint another woman to replace her.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 03:32:37 PM »

Gorsuch*

Yes, because his mother was powerful and he developed somewhat of a respect for women who work, as opposed to the rest of the sexist clowns.

Kavanaugh's mom was an attorney, and she pursued it after he was born.  Barrett obviously has a job, and FWIW has always had a more prestigious one relative to her husband.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »

We rarely know WHEN another vacancy will occur. Clarence Thomas could have a fatal heart attack or start suffering Alzheimer's symptoms at any time. John Roberts already has had a mild heart attack. Sonia Sotomayor might decide to suddenly retire at a relatively young age (compared to what age most Supreme Court Justices choose to retire) like David Souter.

The very next vacancy that occurs might very well be filled by a man appointed by a Democratic President. But it almost certainly won't be a straight, white man. I might enjoy it if the next appointee is Judge Sri Srinivasan.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 02:40:15 PM »

The ones who care will probably be happy with a 5:4 woman-to-man ratio.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 05:34:31 PM »

The ones who care will probably be happy with a 5:4 woman-to-man ratio.

I do think it stops being an issue at that point.  IMO a Republican will want to make a show of appointing the 5th woman and will do it when Thomas or Alito retires.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 03:58:09 PM »

It could very well be the next nominee, but he would almost certainly be a nonwhite man.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 10:25:43 PM »

It's not likely to be a straight white male, but it could happen soon, especially with four women currently on the court.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 05:45:05 PM »

Remember when people said Democrats would never nominate a straight white man for President again, but then they elected Joe Biden, with Bernie Sanders the runner-up?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »

I am legitimately expecting the next nominee to either be a Latino man or an East Asian man.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 09:07:59 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2022, 09:19:15 PM by Skill and Chance »

I am legitimately expecting the next nominee to either be a Latino man or an East Asian man.

James Ho from the 5th circuit would be a conservative dream nominee.  If Republicans get to replace Alito and Thomas with a substantial senate majority, I think they would pick Britt Grant and James Ho.  Given conservative disappointment with Roberts and some lesser degree of disappointment with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, I think there will be a lot of pressure to avoid picking anyone who lives in or grew up in D.C.  Also, the major GOP constituency that's currently missing a seat on SCOTUS is Southern Evangelicals. 

Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »

Don’t think there have been any actual subcontinental Asian SCOTUS nominees of either sex, but you’re probably right in that South Asians are better represented in the lower-level courts.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 02:52:30 AM »

It is weird because Catholics are more split down the middle but are a tilt dem voting block. If they voted the way evangelicals voted then at least 50-60% of America would be Republican.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 05:37:04 PM »

It is weird because Catholics are more split down the middle but are a tilt dem voting block. If they voted the way evangelicals voted then at least 50-60% of America would be Republican.

Catholicism is really into using formal logic and natural law arguments compared to other Christian denominations.  It's not at all surprising Catholics would be overrepresented as lawyers and judges.   
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2022, 08:21:34 AM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if democrats appoint a man. I would be shocked if democrats appointed a white person who isn’t Jewish though.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2022, 06:41:17 PM »

Do trans men count? Cheesy
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2022, 10:35:57 PM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if democrats appoint a man. I would be shocked if democrats appointed a white person who isn’t Jewish though.
Why?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies