When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:18:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When will be the next time a Democratic President appoint a man to the Supreme Court?  (Read 2234 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 10:46:02 PM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if democrats appoint a man. I would be shocked if democrats appointed a white person who isn’t Jewish though.
Why?

They haven’t for half a century.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2022, 10:08:29 AM »

I wouldn’t be surprised if democrats appoint a man. I would be shocked if democrats appointed a white person who isn’t Jewish though.
Why?

Who was the last one? Byron White?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2022, 10:38:50 AM »

Why?

Who was the last one? Byron White?

Yes in 1962. Since that time democrats have nominated 1 black man, 1 black woman, 1 Puerto Rican woman, 3 Jewish men, and 2 Jewish women. Of course this is only a small number of people.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2022, 12:44:11 AM »

Remember when people said Democrats would never nominate a straight white man for President again, but then they elected Joe Biden, with Bernie Sanders the runner-up?

Yeah it’s almost like presidential elections are not the same as Senate-confirmed appointments.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2022, 08:40:01 PM »

Remember when people said Democrats would never nominate a straight white man for President again, but then they elected Joe Biden, with Bernie Sanders the runner-up?

Yeah it’s almost like presidential elections are not the same as Senate-confirmed appointments.

Yes, there has been a longstanding tendency to reserve Supreme Court seats for certain groups to maintain political coalitions.  100+ years ago, this was based on religion (the expectation was there would be at least one Catholic and at least one Jewish person on the court).  In the current environment, from the Democratic standpoint, it would be very difficult to replace an existing justice who is not a white man with a white man.   From the Republican standpoint, there  will probably be a lot of pressure for the next nominee to be an Evangelical Christian (currently unrepresented on the court). 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies