Ontario ONDP Leadership (March 2023)

(1/10) > >>

toaster:
The Ontario NDP will choose a new leader in March of 2023.  Interested candidates have until December to enter the race.

According to CityTV, "Several NDP caucus members have previously indicated their intention to seek the party’s leadership including:"

Intending to Run:
Laura Mae Lindo (Kitchener Centre)
Marit Stiles (Davenport)
Wayne Gates (Niagara Falls)
Catherine Fife (Waterloo)

Considering a Run:
Sol Mamakwa (Kiiwetinoong)

Not running:
Joel Harden (Ottawa-Centre)
Peter Tabuns (Toronto-Danforth)
France Gélinas (Nickel-Belt)
John Vanthof (Temiskaming-Cochrane)

VPH:
Would love to see Wayne Gates as leader of the ONDP but I think his part of the party (blue-collar smaller city/rural) is waning.

Hatman 🍁:
if the party wants to actually win, it has to appeal to suburbanites. Who can they do that the best? The party only holds on suburban seat (if you count Oshawa as a suburb), and Jennifer French isn't expected to run. The party's inroads into Brampton have been a flop, though it's possible to get those voters back, I guess. I'm not sure electing Jagmeet's brother would be a good idea, though.

Picking a downtown Toronto MPP as leader would be a great way to further lose blue collar ridings, and it's no guarantee the party will hold on to their seats in Downtown Toronto. Picking someone like Gates might be the best way to hold on to Andrea's coalition, though it won't necessarily help win suburban seats.

All this to say, I'm not sure who to support at this point.

The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ:
Quote from: VPH on July 18, 2022, 11:08:06 AM

Would love to see Wayne Gates as leader of the ONDP but I think his part of the party (blue-collar smaller city/rural) is waning.

NDP's small city support seems to be going the way of the Liberals' support in the rural southwest circa 2000's - as in, incumbent Dippers are able to hold on, but once the incumbent is gone, the riding is gone. Most NDP incumbents held on - Gilles Bisson, Faisal Hassan, and the Singh duo in Brampton being the exceptions, but those were special cases. The NDP's probably better off doubling down on the urban vote, but then again, that's probably a bad trade-off considering they already have most of the properly urban areas, and as for the suburbs, (most of) the 905 seems to have a severe orange allergy.

toaster:
Looking down the list of current Ontario NDP MPPs, I do think there are a few who could maintain that labour/progressive coalition. Jamie West (Sudbury) is a union guy who seems to fit in nicely/get along well with with the downtown Toronto ONDP MPPs, he also kind of has the goofy/positive Jack vibes.  Wayne Gates would be another one, as would Jennifer French.  If the Liberals do end up choosing a Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, I do think the ONDP will risk losing many of those urban seats, so might as well focus on maintaining the labour left.  I don't know much about Marit, does I do think she's the front runner at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page