The Canadian Prairie Provinces as US states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:40:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Canadian Prairie Provinces as US states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Canadian Prairie Provinces as US states  (Read 631 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2022, 08:13:52 PM »

How would Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba vote in US elections?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 08:33:41 PM »

These sorts of analogies are always very scuffed since you can't really just insert one place into another's political reality, but let me hazard an analogy or two:

Alberta : Kansas (Edmonton as KC metro + Lawrence + Topeka parallel, Calgary as metro Wichita parallel, Lethbridge could be Manhattan or something idfk, inb4 pc vs wildrose vs ndp was just like muh kansas de facto three party system)
Sask : Oklahoma (this is pretty cut-and-dry, some would sooner compare AB to OK culturally and economically, not without merit, but given population distribution Muh Fundamentals in an American context I think this is a bit neater)
Manitoba : Nebraska (a dominant city/metro with a lot more going on under the hood than people give it credit for and then just, well...)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 04:04:14 AM »

All 3 would be very much Safe D and politically similar to Vermont (though Manitoba would probably be a few points more Dem) if shifted into the US today. Its important to note that an areas political culture changes massively as you cross the US/Canada border. Its harder to answer what happens though if you are talking about a scenario where they were shifted decades or as much as a century and a half ago, since the political culture would have developed differently in that case.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 09:11:49 AM »

All 3 would be very much Safe D and politically similar to Vermont (though Manitoba would probably be a few points more Dem) if shifted into the US today. Its important to note that an areas political culture changes massively as you cross the US/Canada border. Its harder to answer what happens though if you are talking about a scenario where they were shifted decades or as much as a century and a half ago, since the political culture would have developed differently in that case.

It's pretty clear Alberta would vote like one of the oil states if it came in after WWI or something and US levels of social conservatism were politically acceptable for generations.

Hmmm... turning to eastern Canada, if Quebec had been a US state since WWI (lol), would it have an total abortion trigger ban like Louisiana?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 09:59:48 AM »

Hmmm... turning to eastern Canada, if Quebec had been a US state since WWI (lol), would it have an total abortion trigger ban like Louisiana?

Quebec is very pro-choice and socially liberal, even by Canadian standards.

I know you mean if Quebec was well-established as a US state, but even then I doubt it.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 01:23:44 PM »

Alberta and Saskatchewan would be safe R.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »

Code:

It's pretty clear Alberta would vote like one of the oil states if it came in after WWI or something and US levels of social conservatism were politically acceptable for generations.

Depends on whether or not the Quiet Revolution happened ITTL.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 02:31:19 PM »

I know you mean if Quebec was well-established as a US state, but even then I doubt it.

Keep in mind that Quebec probably would not be admitted as a state till WW1 given the fact that the core base of both parties was anti catholic till the late 1920s given how much influence Northern WASPs had over the GOP and Southern Dixiecrats had in the Democratic Party . It really wasn’t until Al Smith that this started changing and not until FDR where the democrats had a strong northern wing as well .

So it’s hard to see Quebec admitted as a state until the 1930s really

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »

"Jason Kenney is just like Phil Scott" isn't exactly the sort of take I expected to hear today
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »

Keep in mind that Quebec probably would not be admitted as a state till WW1 given the fact that the core base of both parties was anti catholic till the late 1920s given how much influence Northern WASPs had over the GOP and Southern Dixiecrats had in the Democratic Party . It really wasn’t until Al Smith that this started changing and not until FDR where the democrats had a strong northern wing as well .

So it’s hard to see Quebec admitted as a state until the 1930s really

Perhaps.  That's actually why it took so long to admit New Mexico as a state.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 07:38:48 PM »

CPC + PPC vote, 2021:

Alberta  62.7%
Saskatchewan  65.6% 
Manitoba  46.8%

Obviously there is some regional grievance voting going on that's unique to the Canadian situation.  Alberta plays an influential role in Canadian conservatism too but would just be a very minor player in the US.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies