2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:39:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 54
Author Topic: 2022 College Football Discussion & Pick'em Thread  (Read 22901 times)
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: December 01, 2022, 11:00:29 PM »

This may be enough to push ND past its p——yfooting and outright join the ACC. They’ve stayed indie so long because they want more control over their schedule and their astronomical NBC deal but walling off their easiest path to another natty might do it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1101 on: December 01, 2022, 11:17:36 PM »

This may be enough to push ND past its p——yfooting and outright join the ACC. They’ve stayed indie so long because they want more control over their schedule and their astronomical NBC deal but walling off their easiest path to another natty might do it.

If Notre Dame caves, I'm sure it will be to join the Big 10 (along with Stanford, Washington, and Oregon maybe?) and not the ACC that is sure to get picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 sooner or later.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1102 on: December 02, 2022, 04:42:28 AM »

If Notre Dame caves, I'm sure it will be to join the Big 10 (along with Stanford, Washington, and Oregon maybe?) and not the ACC that is sure to get picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 sooner or later.

Notre Dame should really be in the B1G if it is forced to join a conference for football, because a sizable portion of their historical rivals play there (or will soon).

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1103 on: December 02, 2022, 05:51:28 AM »

Notre Dame should really be in the B1G if it is forced to join a conference for football, because a sizable portion of their historical rivals play there (or will soon).

Yeah, though I can see Notre Dame reversing what it's been doing and becoming a football only member of whatever conference they join (assuming they don't want to be full conference members of any conference),and becoming Independents for other sports.
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1104 on: December 02, 2022, 09:22:07 AM »

Perhaps however ND’s already affiliated with the ACC for every sport except football (indie) and ice hockey (Big 10 because Big 10’s the only “major” conference that has ice hockey)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1105 on: December 02, 2022, 10:41:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure that the expanded playoff isn't going to affect ND joining a conference. AD Jack Swarbrick was a part of these negotiations, and he signed off on the format when it was initially proposed, when there were other holdouts like the Big Ten. This tells me that he is very comfortable never getting a top 4 seed, especially because in such a good season he will be getting a home playoff game at Notre Dame Stadium.

If Notre Dame wasn't comfortable with this setup, we would have seen them join the Big Ten this summer. We know that they negotiated with NBC to see if they would be able to make enough money to stay above their threshold for remaining independent, and its pretty clear that they were happy with the money NBC would give them.

So barring an unpredictable development in the next 5-10 years that will severely upend the status quo as it relates to Notre Dame, I think we will see them remain independent in this next college football landscape.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1106 on: December 02, 2022, 01:54:50 PM »

Are we sure this isn't one of those things where Notre Dame (once again) gets special treatment compared to everyone else?  Like, the first-round byes are given to "each of the Top 4 ranked conference champions OR Notre Dame?"  Do we have actual language about how the new CFP is going to work?   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1107 on: December 02, 2022, 02:06:45 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2022, 04:03:34 PM by DT »

Anyway, I've been ruminating and I think my preferred college football postseason set-up would be something that preserved all of the historical bowl tie-ins (i.e., #1 SEC vs #1 Big 12 in the Sugar; #1 PAC-12 vs #1 Big 10 in the Rose, etc.) and then had a committee pick the two best teams to play off in a national championship game the 2nd week of January.

Winning your conference would be important, conference teams would be playing for a chance to go to *their* bowl game, and a committee would be picking the Top 2 after the benefit of seeing how the rest of the postseason played-out. 

The worst thing about the CFP as its currently designed is that, in years where they aren't playoff games, the match-ups in the Rose and Sugar bowls are pretty lame, which is quite sad considering how old and historic these bowls used to be. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1108 on: December 02, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »

Anyway, I've been ruminating and I think my preferred college football postseason set-up would be something that preserved all of the historical bowl tie-ins (i.e., #1 SEC vs #1 Big 12 in the Sugar; #1 PAC-12 vs #1 Big 10 in the Rose, etc.) and then had a committee pick the two best teams to play off in a national championship game the 2nd week of January.

This is what I thought the extra BCS championship game would be when they announced it back in 2005 or whatever. I don't know why this idea has never been seriously considered.

Anyway, as ever, I'm sick of the media-industrial complex telling me that actually this is something I want just because they're on the take from ESPN. I've found myself much less interested in college football this year than I usually am. Maybe this will pass, but it certainly doesn't help that every time I turn on a game I'm bombarded with WHO'S IN?????? I don't care.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1109 on: December 02, 2022, 04:27:41 PM »

Conference USA Championship Game

North Texas @ UTSA 7:30 PM EST CBSSN

Pac 12 Conference Championship Game at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, NV

#14 Utah vs #6 USC 8 PM EST FOX

Big 12 Conference Championship Game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, TX

#12 Kansas State vs #4 TCU Noon EST ABC

MAC Championship Game at Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Toledo vs Ohio Noon EST ESPN

Sun Belt Conference Championship Game

Coastal Carolina @ Troy 3:30 PM EST ESPN

SEC Championship Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA

#5 LSU vs #1 Georgia 4 PM EST CBS

AAC Championship Game

#22 UCF @ #19 Tulane 4 PM EST ABC

Mountain West Conference Championship Game

Fresno State @ Boise State 4 PM EST FOX

Big Ten Conference Championship Game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN

Purdue vs #3 Michigan 8 PM EST FOX

ACC Championship Game at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC

#8 Clemson vs #17 North Carolina 8 PM EST

Saturday, December 10th

Army vs Navy at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, PA 3 PM EST CBS
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1110 on: December 02, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1111 on: December 02, 2022, 10:33:17 PM »

Over in the PAC-12 Championship Game, #4 USC is trailing #11 Utah, 24-17 with about ten minutes to go in the third quarter....
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1112 on: December 02, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »

Man, I’m super divided on this one. I really like Utah and don’t particularly like USC…but Utah winning puts Ohio State or Alabama in the playoff…I guess I need to root for USC.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1113 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:27 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2022, 11:08:15 PM by Terry the Fat Shark »

Man, I’m super divided on this one. I really like Utah and don’t particularly like USC…but Utah winning puts Ohio State or Alabama in the playoff…I guess I need to root for USC.
Alabama isn't getting in...Maybe if they were in the SEC CCG I could see it happening, but it's likely a lock of Georgia, Michigan, TCU, Ohio State (even with a TCU loss) now

Note: Unless NYE jinx puts USC back in
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1114 on: December 02, 2022, 11:43:32 PM »

and down goes USC!
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #1115 on: December 02, 2022, 11:45:23 PM »

I hate to say it but I really don't see a way Utah wins this week. It's hard to beat a team twice in a season, and it's even harder when that team has taken huge steps since the last meeting. Caleb and the offense have too much confidence to lose. I would say it won't be close but their piss poor defense has made like all of their games close.

I do think if play Georgia it'll be a bad matchup for USC and they might get beat down. But this week looks to be all Caleb Williams.

Was so wrong. Crying
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1116 on: December 02, 2022, 11:54:58 PM »

Current playoff rankings with USC's loss:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

In with a TCU loss: Alabama or Clemson, with a TCU loss and Clemson victory in the ACC Championship game.

With TCU and Michigan losses: Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson are all in.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #1117 on: December 02, 2022, 11:58:18 PM »

bum ass usc
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1118 on: December 03, 2022, 12:05:44 AM »

For the last time. TCU is in if they lose to Kansas State. Alabama did not make it to the SEC CCG and has no reason move up. Clemson is a 2 loss team playing an even worse team in their conference championship game.

This is coming from someone who feels the committee messed over TCU in 2014, but they did have at least logical reasons. Ohio State was a 1 loss team who won their conference championship in huge fashion. Notice: one loss team.

Sure, if Alabama had made the SEC Championship game with 2 losses I would be worried if they managed to beat Georgia, but for once, the miraculous happened and they did not. They are out.

That being said, I hope TCU has been listening to the constant conversations about "what if TCU loses" all week and ends this conversation early.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1119 on: December 03, 2022, 12:36:43 AM »

Deion Sanders will be the next Head Coach at Colorado.

If accurate, this this is a fantastic hire for Colorado. Deion's already proven that he's a fantastic recruiter and coach at Jackson State.

There'll be a void in the PAC-12 with USC leaving, and with Deion Sanders arriving, Colorado might well be in good position to fill that void within a year or two.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Buffaloes make the 2024 or 2025 PAC-12 Title Game.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1120 on: December 03, 2022, 01:09:48 AM »

I think what will happen is pretty simple.  Georgia, Michigan, and Ohio State are in.  TCU is in unless they get blown out.  If TCU gets blown out, Alabama might have a shot.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1121 on: December 03, 2022, 09:08:36 AM »

First two missed start time, not counted.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1122 on: December 03, 2022, 10:40:28 AM »

Cheering for the 1 percent chaos scenario where the highest ranked champion is Kansas State.
sting in the rafters
slimey56

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1123 on: December 03, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »

TCU got lucky on a couple drives towards the end of the first half as WHIPPET PRIDE WILL HOWARD misfired on multiple passes to receivers behind busted coverage.  Still good job by Duggan going up-tempo to end the first half and TCU came back from down 28-17 in their first game against KCU, they’ve been a 2nd half team all season and we’re in for a photo finish.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1124 on: December 03, 2022, 03:02:31 PM »

Dread it, run from it, Alabama still arrives in the playoff.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies