Best and worst arguments for the existence of God (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:06:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Best and worst arguments for the existence of God (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best and worst arguments for the existence of God  (Read 5559 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 08, 2022, 12:25:02 AM »

The strongest argument for a god is that the idea that the material universe would come into existence without an external cause violates every known law of said universe. The problem for most theists is that it’s a long way from this argument to belief in a specific revealed creed.

And naturally that is what makes that creed "revealed"; it cannot be deduced from first principles, but is made known to us. Some people try to argue that classical theism necessitates trinitarianism, but I think that link is very weak.

To answer the topic question, I would say that the cosmological argument is the strongest, especially in the Kalam version. I would say the weakest is either the ontological argument or the morality argument. C.S. Lewis is an excellent writer, but I thought one of the weakest parts of Mere Christianity was when he expressed being convinced by the morality argument. It would have been very easy for someone to accept the alternative explanation that morality didn't matter and he was simply wrong to have moral convictions, or at least to believe that they represented an underlying truth (basically Nietzsche's position).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies