Social 'Conservatives' Are Not Real Conservatives (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Social 'Conservatives' Are Not Real Conservatives (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Social 'Conservatives' Are Not Real Conservatives  (Read 2739 times)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« on: July 13, 2022, 03:27:20 PM »

Quoting that message I sent to you in a PM on the same day you posted this thread -

In truth, it is a pretty uniquely American concept for conservatism to be synonymous with small government, and there's nothing inherently nor literally "conservative" about a government which refuses to interfere in the marketplace or refuses make efforts to preserve public morality/tradition.
There's a reason that hard-core free marketers are referred to as liberals in countries around the world. For me, social conservatism is what I consider to be true conservatism - an ideology dedicated to preserving the traditions and morality which sustain the country and lead to a cohesive society. This is of course, not a rejection of change, in and of itself, but rather an endorsement of the Burkean approach to history; recognizing that all we have - our rights, legal traditions, morality, etc have been passed along and fine tuned over generations and there is reason to, at least, give a fair hearing to that which has been passed down.

It is that very adherence to tradition that makes me skeptical and often fiercely opposed to a lot of radical political change, whether of the revolutionary or reactionary sort. It's one of the main reasons I'm so opposed to Trump and his machinations to destroy American democracy - our system works and has worked for two and a half centuries and was designed to prevent the rise of men like him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies