Confirmation Hearing: Scott for Secretary of State
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:08:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Scott for Secretary of State
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Scott for Secretary of State  (Read 1351 times)
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »

The floor is now open. Scott may make an opening statement if he so chooses, otherwise the Senate is open to initiate questioning the nominee.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »

Having been in the NSC for a while and seeing Scott's input there, I have absolutely no doubts that he would be great in this position.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 06:52:52 PM »

Endorsed
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:42 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 09:42:09 PM by First Minister Scott »

First, I would like to thank President Cao for nominating me to this position. As a senior member of the National Security Council, and having been involved with our foreign policy team since the start of the ongoing crisis in Taiwan, it is an honor to succeed former Secretary wxtransit in this vital position. A job which, while often invisible, is vital to an important component of the game and an important influence on the business of the Senate.

I want to start by saying that I intend to disperse as much information as appropriate in a public thread, but following my predecessor's example and many others', I will also exercise appropriate discretion in statements which reflect the administration's stated goals and omit sensitive details.

Now with the Senate, hopefully, on track to revoke Crane's tankie dream update, the NSC will be contemplating our next move on the China situation. That will likely require a new update, and assuming Lumine intends to stick with his plans to retire, we will need a new GM willing to work in earnest with the State Department and NSC, which I don't foresee being a problem under this president.

That, of course, would mean this is the most up-to-date state of affairs.

Furthermore, as the next Secretary of State, I would also like to use this position to continue NAFTA renegotiation, which started during my presidency. Canada and Mexico have both expressed willingness to create a deal that helps workers of all three countries and keeps Atlasia in a strong international and economic standing. These negotiations were also cast by the wayside during the months of chaos.

And we must make inroads with Arab nations. As of this post, relations between Middle East states and Atlasia are actually worse than OTL. Opening new dialogues with the Arab world is vital, particularly while we are at (diplomatic and economic) conflict with China, which Atlasia and many other countries have sanctioned. We have good relations, and even a trade pact, with several African countries, and that certainly balances China's influence in the continent. These countries may prove to be vital to opening our communications in this part of the world.

Finally, I would like to state that, in the event the subject comes up, our timeline does not reflect OTL events in Ukraine and, as of this post, Russia poses no lingering threat to Ukraine or its territory - with only Crimea having been recognized as Russian territory, per a deal negotiated during the Second Korean War years ago.

With that said, I am happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thank you.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:43:45 PM »

Should the senate fail to get the  votes necessary to retcon the Taiwan update, what is the plan going forward?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 09:09:41 PM »

Should the senate fail to get the  votes necessary to retcon the Taiwan update, what is the plan going forward?

I would urge the Senate to do whatever necessary to retcon the update, and a failure to get the necessary votes should prompt a change in the rules. However, I hope that will not be necessary.

Worst case scenario in that neither is possible: we'll simply need Lumine or the next GM to write around the update and reroute us towards something as close to the pre-Crane situation as feasible. Crane is a nonfactor however and I've yet to see anyone make a case for keeping his update canon.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 10:00:52 PM »

Scott has my COMPLETE and TOTAL endorsement for Secretary of State!
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 08:31:39 AM »

Due to the nominee's extensive credentials and experience, I can state that I am inclined to support his confirmation. Now for my questions:

1) Mr. Scott, how do you plan to renegotiate NAFTA? Which provisions should be changed or added?

2) Given the divisive situation with the People's Republic of China's assertions over Taiwan, how should Atlasia move forward on this issue?

3) Do you believe Russia is an existential geopolitical threat? Why or why not?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 10:26:21 AM »

Mr. First Minister, what is your opinion on the (former) Mexico City policy assuming that this got repealed in-game but DK for sure?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2022, 12:16:21 PM by First Minister Scott »

Due to the nominee's extensive credentials and experience, I can state that I am inclined to support his confirmation. Now for my questions:

1) Mr. Scott, how do you plan to renegotiate NAFTA? Which provisions should be changed or added?

2) Given the divisive situation with the People's Republic of China's assertions over Taiwan, how should Atlasia move forward on this issue?

3) Do you believe Russia is an existential geopolitical threat? Why or why not?

1. This is the outline of my proposals. However, Mexico and Canada are both demanding several concessions. I have some ideas for counter-proposals, but Atlasia must assert its right to enforce currently-existing anti-dumping laws. I am hopeful that Canada, which has been most vocal in its skepticism towards a couple of the points, is more willing to come to the negotiating table now that the anti-vax truck protests are presumably over and, fortunately, there has been no recent discussion of annexing Canadian territory, which stifled communication when the proposal was originally drafted.

2. We haven't received a proper update on Taiwan since February. A new update will be necessary; however, Taiwan is as far as we know, subsisting on international airlifts sans the disputed Crane update.

3. Russia is not a geopolitical threat at this time, however, their reception of President Xi at the Kremlin does raise concerns. We will need an update on these developments as well, but this situation must be approached with great caution and a willingness to engage with Russia as well. Needless to say, conflict with not one but two major nuclear powers should be avoided.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »

Mr. First Minister, what is your opinion on the (former) Mexico City policy assuming that this got repealed in-game but DK for sure?

I'm fairly certain that this was repealed legislatively in-game. I personally oppose the Mexico City policy as it amounts to what is essentially a gag order which impedes the work of NGOs with countries in need of aid, however, it is also not a matter that concerns the State Department's functions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 10:58:56 AM »

Apologies for not acknowledging that the revocation was recently approved. With that, I reemphasize the need for a new update from the GM Department.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 10:57:01 AM »

Very glad to see the Senate asking questions even with the qualifications of the nominee not in doubt. More of this, please.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »

How would the nominee help convince other nations to extend diplomatic recognition to our ally Israel?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2022, 04:53:05 PM »

With Iran likely having enough enriched uranium to build a nuclear bomb, what will the administration’s approach be towards Iran.

Will the administration be open to rejoining the Trans Pacific Partnership to reduce reliance on trade from China?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 05:26:43 PM »

How would the nominee help convince other nations to extend diplomatic recognition to our ally Israel?

As I've said, we have no diplomatic relationship with the Arab world. That's not good for Israel, and I support a two-state solution because helping to establish one would ease tensions. This is easier said than done, of course.

With Iran likely having enough enriched uranium to build a nuclear bomb, what will the administration’s approach be towards Iran.

Will the administration be open to rejoining the Trans Pacific Partnership to reduce reliance on trade from China?

1. Nowhere in The Acta Publica is Iran's nuclear program mentioned, so I can't really comment on that, other than to say our relationship with Iran is very bad. An incident during a visit from President DFW only seemed to exacerbate this problem.

2. There has never been a Trans Pacific Partnership in-game, but all options are on the table. I would support a trade deal with countries in the Pacific provided that it is fair and environmentally friendly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 11:31:16 PM »

I'm fairly certain that this was repealed legislatively in-game. I personally oppose the Mexico City policy as it amounts to what is essentially a gag order which impedes the work of NGOs with countries in need of aid, however, it is also not a matter that concerns the State Department's functions.

I believe this was done in the summer of 2019.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »

since it seems no one has any questions, I motion for a final vote on the nominee.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »

Opening the vote for 96 hours because I have to.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 11:32:41 PM »

Aye
WD