Is Alaska the least conservative Republican state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:47:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Alaska the least conservative Republican state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Alaska the least conservative Republican state?  (Read 2177 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »

Of the states that vote reliably GOP, is Alaska the least conservative?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 08:56:37 PM »

In may very unscientific opinion, I get a sort of libertarian vibe from Alaska. It seems like type of Republican state that just wants the federal government to leave them alone, without a super strong attachment to religious and culture war type issues.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 09:10:51 PM »

On abortion for example yes.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:15:54 PM »

That's Montana, or used to be, maybe MT Treasurer's hero has changed that.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 09:36:00 AM »

Depends on whether you count NC in this category.  If not, then clearly yes.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »

NC is more religious on average, I would assume?
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 01:31:58 PM »

NC is more religious on average, I would assume?

Yep NC I thought has a conservative proportion that would resemble a strong red state
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »

No southron state is in the running for "least conservative". Down there, there are plenty of conservative Safe D black voters. 
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »

No southron state is in the running for "least conservative". Down there, there are plenty of conservative Safe D black voters. 

Even Georgia is among the most conservative-feeling states in the country.  I'd probably agree with Alaska for this, especially if we are talking about social issues.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 11:15:35 PM »

In may very unscientific opinion, I get a sort of libertarian vibe from Alaska. It seems like type of Republican state that just wants the federal government to leave them alone, without a super strong attachment to religious and culture war type issues.

It was among the very first states to legalize recreational marijuana--the third, after CO and WA--and the state courts have upheld abortion rights and fairly firm nondiscrimination protections for such a Republican state, among other idiosyncrasies. I'm told by some legal scholars among us that the unique structure of the state's courts is much of the reason for this, though I lack firsthand knowledge. The actual ideological landscape is rather more complex, however; the state's Republican core remains boilerplate Evangelical and Mormon suburbanites/exurbanites in the Anchorage and Fairbanks metros (Sarah Palin began her career in Wasilla, Mat-Su), and for a state that you'd expect to be so opposed to "big government" Perot-style it remains heavily reliant on the state and federal governments as an economic engine and benefactor of the extractive economy (not just oil; see also the ring of seafood processing company towns employing heavily Filipinos and other dispossessed minorities) lest its outposts with no other means shrivel up--at least before they inevitably do at the hands of fossil fuel-induced environmental destruction, through climate change and ripping up the national parks where half of any given bush town works, and The Oil Running Out One Day. The Celtic Fringe of America?

And even Alaska hasn't been immune to bottom-up or top-down nationalization, as we saw when we virulently refused to sleep on Al Gross. The coalition in the State House suffered losses in 2020, and could possibly collapse entirely this year; Democrat Scott Kawasaki's gain of the Fairbanks-based Senate District A in 2018 came at the expense of a non-Coalition Republican gaining his State House seat, and Fairbanks itself (still a military town and one of the worst for sex crimes and violence against women in the country) still narrowly voted for Trump in 2020 amidst a continued GOP landslide in its eastern suburbs. Anchorage is losing population while Mat-Su gains, and there aren't nearly enough emigrants to Juneau for a Vermont effect in the near future. Dunleavy remains up to his Polar Brownback antics and being underratedly disastrously bad on COVID for such a sparsely-populated state while most of the nation keeps its eyes on GOP antics in more populous states more presumably fit to the party's contemporary orthodoxy.

The Last Frontier follows the fate of the lower 48's frontier, just however many decades behind. I think the world could use a good Revisionist Western about contemporary Alaska, in the vein of Peckinpah at his comparatively less bloodthirsty and more psychogeographically-oriented.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 12:53:09 AM »

AK still has one of the highest % of Union workers of any state in the US...

Gets funky running through the stats tables, but AK appears to place something like #4 in % of members of unions employed vs total work force, and then #3 as a % of workforce represented by unions as a % of employed (19.5%).

Members of unions as a % of employed numbers start to drop down to 15.8%, and even places such as WA, OR, and MN end up taking a bit of a leap (Although AK is still definitely a player even there).

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/news-release/unionmembership_alaska.htm#chart2
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 05:57:27 PM »

That's how Montana and Wyoming were, until all the liberals left for Oregon and Colorado, and all the roughnecks from Oklahoma, ND, and Texas started coming in.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 03:42:39 PM »

Alaska has the vibe of a state that could dramatically swing left...if the Dems take a reasonable stance on energy production, a big big if.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 05:03:12 PM »

That's how Montana and Wyoming were, until all the liberals left for Oregon and Colorado, and all the roughnecks from Oklahoma, ND, and Texas started coming in.

I guarantee you Alaska has plenty of roughnecks.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 05:21:39 PM »

Well they aren't doing a good job at having the Federal Government leave them alone.  It depends on Federal spending heavily to support it's economy, one of the most dependent states in the country.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »

Bagelman was certainly referring to this map:

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2022, 10:40:57 PM »

On certain issues, yes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »

Wow, somehow I never knew that the Philippines were so extreme on abortion.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2022, 02:15:13 PM »

Wow, somehow I never knew that the Philippines were so extreme on abortion.

"In 1985, the family moved to the Philippines where they served as Baptist missionaries and built a ministry. During the Tebows' stay, Pamela contracted amoebic dysentery and fell into a coma. While recovering, she discovered that she was pregnant. The medications used to treat Pamela caused a severe placental abruption. Doctors expected a stillbirth and recommended an abortion, which was illegal in the Philippines even in severe cases; the Tebows decided against it. On August 14, 1987, Pamela Tebow gave birth to Tim Tebow in Manila."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies