9 Dead Among 57 Shot in Fourth of July Weekend Shootings in Chicago

(1/9) > >>

Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!":
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/9-dead-among-57-shot-in-fourth-of-july-weekend-shootings-in-chicago/2872736/

9 Dead Among 57 Shot in Fourth of July Weekend Shootings in Chicago

Now, there's a thread about this.  This is Chicago.  This is Right Now.  More people die in THIS kind of Gun Violence all year round, yet no one seems to want to discuss this sort of thing here.  Yet these people are just as dead as the unfortunate folks in Highland Park. 

Do we only abhor death when its occurrence favors a cherished narrative.  Do we pretend that some deaths aren't relevant because the causes of those deaths and the issues they raise interfere with the advancement of politicized narratives?  If that's the case, then some people here have no business virtue signaling, because they view tragedies as nothing more than an opportunity for political advancement.  Ironically, in the best Rahm Emmanuel tradition.

I wish I had an easy answer for both of these situations and others.  In neither case do I view the solution being the punishing of the law-abiding.

jojoju1998:
It's interesting how Bill Clinton pushed for Gun Control, alongside more police spending, and framed gun control as a " Law and Order" issue.

Meclazine for Israel:
It's because Mass Shootings are an epidemic linked to News Media.

They infect each other. News Media inspires mass shooters. Mass Shootings attract the national (and international) media like never before and the feedback loop is now entrenched.

The next 19 yo pretend rapper who cant get a girlfriend is warming up his AR-15 right now in a suburb in the USA somewhere.

Progressive Pessimist:
Collectively both of these incidents are tragic, and a testament to how common shooting incidents are in this country. And it's especially poetic on our independence day.

That said, I believe more attention is being paid to the Highland Park shooting because it occurred in a wealthy suburb likely thought of as being "safe" and unimaginable for something like this to happen. Conventionally the average person may not bat an eye at violence in a city whereas a mass shooting in a suburb serves as a sober reminder that these truly can happen anywhere in this country. You're not really safe anywhere as long as guns, and gun ownership, are valued more than human life and the right to simply exist and going about living your life safely and peacefully.

Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!":
Quote from: jojoju1998 on July 04, 2022, 05:52:42 PM

It's interesting how Bill Clinton pushed for Gun Control, alongside more police spending, and framed gun control as a " Law and Order" issue.

Bill Clinton's proposals in this area, most of which I disagree with on principle, could at least be seen as crime control measures to some extent.  What is going on today is Joe Biden seeking to disarm law-abiding gun owners by framing a false narrative about who's responsible for the bulk of gun violence in America today.  The Gun Violence in Chicago this weekend is far more typical of the sort of gun violence that happens in America today, yet this never seems to be discussed honestly in the media.  This is because today's discussion is all about narratives that serve the political purposes of our current leaders.  It's about convincing America that an Army of White Supremacist Militia is the real threat to the safety of Americans today.  The numbers don't show that, and while such folks (like everyone else) should be punished when they break laws, the vast majority of gun homicide victims are not the victims of such folks.

We will not make progress against gun violence until we have an honest discussion in America about who's shooting who.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page