Opinion of Frantz Fanon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:18:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Frantz Fanon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of Frantz Fanon?  (Read 1247 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2022, 02:03:42 PM »

?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 03:50:13 PM »

Well my view would be that [INSTANT CANCELLATION]
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 08:03:01 PM »

Read very little of his work, but from what I did read, I assume evil?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »

A good philosopher whose writings smashed the arguments of class reductionists. He was also a civil rights icon active in decolonizing North Africa, a major influence in the U.S. civil rights movement, and even contributed to the writings that would firecharge the gay rights movement and second wave feminism.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 01:23:21 AM »

I've read 1 of his things. FF mostly based on aesthetics.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 05:26:30 PM »

Deinstitutionalization certainly didn't go well in the US, although that's more Ken Kesey and Jack Nicholson's fault than Fanon's. Other than that, which is the main thing I know him for, he seems like a pretty typical early postcolonial theorist with the unpleasant proto-"cultural turn" whiff that often implies. Didn't vote.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »

Deinstitutionalization certainly didn't go well in the US, although that's more Ken Kesey and Jack Nicholson's fault than Fanon's.

Which is the neoliberal nihilist "f-ck everything" reading of the message of said works that could only come about as policy in the post-Nixon era of mutual radicalization and irresponsibility rather than a compassionate and reform-minded one, and I say that as someone who has suffered heavily at the hands of mental health practitioners that haven't been given their due scrutiny. My own shrink reflexively defends such practices as "fair for their time" or whatever, which certainly doesn't inspire confidence. Deinstitutionalization as a cheap political alternative to proper reform is on the tier of Delaware Day as the work of a welfare state shirking its responsibility in all the harmful ways that it shouldn't rather than de-escalating its abuses responsibly and with an eye to maintaining some semblance of social fabric.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 08:12:58 PM »

FF. The Wretched of the Earth is an excellent analysis of anti-colonial resistance and post-colonial nationhood. A personal favorite passage of his:

“Of course if we choose to use a language comprehensible only to law and economics graduates it will be easy to prove that the masses need to have their life run for them. But if we speak in plain language, if we are not obsessed with a perverse determination to confuse the issues and exclude the people, then it will be clear that the masses comprehend all the finer points and every artifice.... Such language is a poor front for the lecturer's intent to deceive the people and leave them on the sidelines. Language’s endeavor to confuse is a mask behind which looms an even greater undertaking to dispossess.... You can explain everything to the people provided you really want them to understand.”
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 08:15:04 PM »

Well my view would be that [INSTANT CANCELLATION]

I’m shocked.  Grin

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 10:27:11 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2022, 11:34:48 PM by Supporter and promoter of anti-white racism »

FF. The Wretched of the Earth is an excellent analysis of anti-colonial resistance and post-colonial nationhood. A personal favorite passage of his:

“Of course if we choose to use a language comprehensible only to law and economics graduates it will be easy to prove that the masses need to have their life run for them. But if we speak in plain language, if we are not obsessed with a perverse determination to confuse the issues and exclude the people, then it will be clear that the masses comprehend all the finer points and every artifice.... Such language is a poor front for the lecturer's intent to deceive the people and leave them on the sidelines. Language’s endeavor to confuse is a mask behind which looms an even greater undertaking to dispossess.... You can explain everything to the people provided you really want them to understand.”

This is a breath of fresh air compared to, say, Paulo Freire's insistence that the people he was concerned with liberating already understood everything he wrote and leftist educators who suggested otherwise were being concern trolls.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 04:42:56 PM »

huge FF
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: